PDA

View Full Version : JUNE 2016 Project of the Month - Patriotic Drink Coaster Set!

mtylerfl
06-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Hello,

A quick-n-easy project, this set of eight Patriotic Drink Coasters and storage base shows-off their Red, White and Blue just in time for your Fourth-of-July festivities!

The coasters can be stacked a variety of ways to suit your whimsy; offset array, aligned evenly, alternating white/red, etc.

The project is entirely vector-based and uses just the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The entire project can be cut in less than an hour! (about 35 minutes)

Completed project dimensions are about:
• Storage Base: 4.7" dia. x 5.25" tall
• Each Star Coaster: 4.2" x 4"

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Coaster_BASE.mpc
• Star_Drink_Coasters.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

BASE: 0.75" x 7" x 14"
Stars: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24" (two of these)

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) Four 0.375" dia. x 5" wood dowels

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, epoxy, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Patriotic Coaster Set made from Select Pine and Poplar:

BASE:
• Applied MinWax water-based Indigo blue stain
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

STARS:
• Four stars MinWax water-based Crimson red stain
• Four stars white acrylic craft paint
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

I chose to wipe-on the stains and white paint with a rag for a rustic folk-art appearance (the wood grain intentionally shows through a bit). However, you can opt to use enamel spray paints for a more “slick” appearance if you like.

dbemus
06-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Michael,

Great project!!! The drink looks like one of my favorites also! I will mix one or two when I finish the project! Thanks for your great work!

mtylerfl
06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Michael,

Great project!!! The drink looks like one of my favorites also! I will mix one or two when I finish the project! Thanks for your great work!

Thank you! My wife said she needed drink coasters, so she got 'em!

farmer
06-13-2016, 08:43 PM
I have not got mine when will it be out?

mtylerfl
06-14-2016, 06:37 AM
I have not got mine when will it be out?
I'm pretty sure the emails were already sent out, so you should have received it.

lynnfrwd
06-14-2016, 09:22 AM
It was sent last week, but I will check to see what happened. I know of another customer that should have received it but has not.

BobC33
06-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Didn;t get mine either!!!! Please sned again. Thanks!

lynnfrwd
06-14-2016, 11:07 AM
POM has been sent. Check your emails.

farmer
06-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks Connie got it today just downloaded it

mikemi
06-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Didn't get the email until today either.

Mike