PDA

View Full Version : Confudled on Software

gtj44
03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
My machine is supposed to be on the truck and delivered soon, but a question on software. I know there is a supplied package to use, but I see lots of other soft ware being used, Core Draw Photo Paint Photo Impact etc. Photo and Draw programs create different types of results. I have access to Corel Draw and Photo Impact. Once your creation is finished in either of these programs, what are the files saved as?
I also think the CW is run by G-Code, most CNC are. Corel Draw can save files to DXF which can then be converted to G-Code which maybe some how be used in the CW. I don't know, just surmising.
Any guidance on the programs would be greatly appreciated so I can be prepared when the truck stops here. thanks

Greybeard
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry, no g code.
All the talk of corel etc is for people trying to import designs into Designer to get round various problems.
If you cant design what you want in the native software - Designer, you can import greyscale bitmap images.
People use vector programs for converting line drawings, and paint type programs if they're working with photographic images.
Either way, you'll have to convert to a greyscale bitmap before you try importing it.
The only exception at the moment is VectorArt are producing patterns commercially that are compatible, with some free trial downloads on their site.
Best of luck and welcome.
John

HandTurnedMaple
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
There is now a second site that I have found with patterns, but I am very hesitant to mention it. It sells greyscale patterns for laser carving, but it should still import into Designer. The reason I am hesitant is because the prices ($75 - $325+) are significantly higher than VA3D ($25 - $75). And what you get is greyscale instead of an actual converted pattern.

But for someone who is making a good profit off their machine it might be worth a try.

http://www.gantryco.com/GantryLaserCarving/LaserEngraving3Diii.html

Julie Coffey
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
HTM thanks for posting that site, my way of thinking you'll come across people in this hobby who take it one step further and roll it into a business. In that process will be found people who can afford PSP, others Adobe, some Corel 3x and others still Artcam Pro.

There's room enough for people at every level. I just love my hobby how about you?

J

Kenm810
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
HTM ,

I think I’m defiantly with you on this one,
a little rich for some one like me,
still working my way up the learning curve on this machine.

Charles M
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
There is now a second site that I have found with patterns, but I am very hesitant to mention it. It sells greyscale patterns for laser carving, but it should still import into Designer. The reason I am hesitant is because the prices ($75 - $325+) are significantly higher than VA3D ($25 - $75). And what you get is greyscale instead of an actual converted pattern.

But for someone who is making a good profit off their machine it might be worth a try.

http://www.gantryco.com/GantryLaserCarving/LaserEngraving3Diii.html

HTM,

I'd guess that those offering PTN files have merely converted their artwork to grayscales then used the Designer software to convert to PTN and exported. Thanks for posting that link. Even if I can't afford them it is always good to see examples of what works.

Charles

cajunpen
03-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I contacted the folks at Gantry today, about their Carving Models. They are very pricey - but look great. He sent me a sample to see if it would work with the CW. It arrives as a .tiff file. I imported it into Corel PhotoPaint and saved it as a .gif file. I then imported it into Designer and saved it (I did nothing to it, except save it as a .gif). I've posted the .mpc for you guys to look at.

They are waaaayyyy more expensive than VectorArt - but who knows, if you are looking for just the right project it might be worth it.

HandTurnedMaple
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Professional pricing for a hobby-level machine.

CW Rookie
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow, the Gantry "Scenes" look excellent!! (they're expensive but some are available for only $75 like the VectorArt scenes).

Anyone know how they carve on the CW???

rgant05
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
It will be interesting to hear from someone who has carved one of their files. I'm not a very good judge of graphics imported into Designer, but I am not overly impressed with the way the file looks in Designer. It may carve alright, but I would have to see it. Not criticisizing anyones prices, but it is much more than I can afford. I can't even afford the V3D stuff, but think its well worth it if you have a particular job to use it. I am planning to get their intro pack which a very good value and maybe more as I can get a market developed..... but will always be open to others if they can match the quality/price.

BoardSilly
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I think cost is directly related to what your market is. If you are only carving small signs etc it would be difficult to justify the cost of these. However, if you are building higher end custom cabinetry or furniture with carvings, your expenditure would be justified based off your expected return. Its all relative in the end.

rgant05
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I understand that if I had something that I was designing to sell that I could afford to spend more on a pattern to help make the job successful. I guess the point I was trying to make and probably miscommunicated it was that the sample that was posted looked like crap on the designer screen as compared to a much more economical source whose quality works good in the Designer program. I wasn't really trying to discuss the economics of those selling versus those doing it as a hobby. I'm looking forward to seeing some stuff carved from the more expensive source, but suspect that it is not really "CarveWright Ready" material just yet.

Greybeard
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes, RG, I agree with your sense that what is appearing on the Designer screen is not up to the price differential with other stuff offered.
I tried experimenting with various settings, but could not achieve any improvement.
I, too, would like to see anyones carving of either the trial logo or anything they've bought from this company.

John