PDA

View Full Version : Y stall with a vector graphic

DianMayfield
05-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Gremlins..hate em.

I have a corel vector graphic that I exported to dxf.

I put the graphic on the plaque along with all of the text and did a test carve. Carved great, except for the quality of the lines of the graphic. Because of the way that corel graphics are designed, with a full black background and colored shapes to define the design, I then had a bit of cleanup to do replacing that black background with outlines.

I then ran a test carve of just the graphic. I got a y stall. We replaced the y motor, cleaned all the bearings and covers, cleaned & lubed the rails. Ran a pattern test carve and all was well.

I then tried to run the vector test carve and got the y stall again. Just about the same spot.

I then put the vector back on the full plaque, and ran another carve, as the pattern carve had run successfully. It carved the entire plaque with no stalls.

Tried to run just the vector, and again got the y stall.

Any insight into why the machine would have a problem with just the vector, when as part of plaque it would have no problems?

There are about 150 splines and poly lines as part of the group.
60deg v bit
The machine would carve to about where the white line stops, and then slowly head back to the control panel, stalling when it hit the panel end.

SteveNelson46
05-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Dian,

It's probably the DXF importer. Most of us have had problems with it. In the past I have even tried to remove all of the unnecessary vertices and convert the vectors to lines and arcs where applicable but that usually doesn't work either. It's something embedded in the import.

DianMayfield
05-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks Steve, it was really making me crazy that it would carve as part of the whole, but not when it was by itself.