PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Abuse or Takes a Lickin and Keeps On Tickin

ronboley
05-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Ok, ok so I'm an abuser....I bought cut motor brushes about a year ago. I had one little 10 hour carve to do so I thought why not just one more carve? I checked the cut motor hours and it's at 331. Hmmm...so a cutting I go. Then about 2 hours in the motor started to slowwww down. The it stopped. OOOps. So after thinking about it for a week, I tore down the unit and replaced the cut motor brushes for the first time. Yep they were worn. One was just gone....suppose that's why it stopped. :-) Put it all back together and ran the cut motor test. Hurrah it works! So now it's out there carving away like nothing happened...The photo is of two new brushes next to the ones I removed. Yep these are a second set of new brushes I plan on replacing in another 300 uhhh 250 cut motor hours...

lynnfrwd
05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Ok, ok so I'm an abuser....I bought cut motor brushes about a year ago. I had one little 10 hour carve to do so I thought why not just one more carve? I checked the cut motor hours and it's at 331. Hmmm...so a cutting I go. Then about 2 hours in the motor started to slowwww down. The it stopped. OOOps. So after thinking about it for a week, I tore down the unit and replaced the cut motor brushes for the first time. Yep they were worn. One was just gone....suppose that's why it stopped. :-) Put it all back together and ran the cut motor test. Hurrah it works! So now it's out there carving away like nothing happened...The photo is of two new brushes next to the ones I removed. Yep these are a second set of new brushes I plan on replacing in another 300 uhhh 250 cut motor hours...

That will do it.

Digitalwoodshop
05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Great Picture !!!!

Good Job getting it working again.

The closest thing to a Troubleshooting Question in a very long time....

Darn Machines are getting too reliable said the Maytag Repairman... :) Deal me another hand please.... (Playing cards):shock:

AL

RogerB
05-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Al the service man gets a holiday.Once in a while. Enjoy. Have not heard of a melt down on flex shaft in a bit also.:p

CarverJerry
12-04-2016, 07:37 AM
I know this is an old thread but it's on the right topic. I changed my cut motor brushes once already but can't remember how many hours I had on it when I did. I now have 415 hours and wondering when these are going to end their life. Is there an average number of hours the brushes usually get before needing changing? When I ordered my clutch part I also ordered a set of brushes and a few other things to help with the s/h costs.

henry1
12-04-2016, 07:53 AM
I know this is an old thread but it's on the right topic. I changed my cut motor brushes once already but can't remember how many hours I had on it when I did. I now have 415 hours and wondering when these are going to end their life. Is there an average number of hours the brushes usually get before needing changing? When I ordered my clutch part I also ordered a set of brushes and a few other things to help with the s/h costs.

Usually after 260 hrs sometime a bit more what I do take one out and check and see,, then you can tell if their lest then 3/16 I change them

CarverJerry
12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks Henry