PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistant depth on a carved pattern

fgiesen
05-05-2016, 09:58 AM
My carving depth tapers from 1/16" at top to 0" at bottom. Why? How can I fix? I used the pattern editor to create my pattern, set the depth to 1/16" (because any deeper it carved a deep frame around the pattern). When it carved the top of the pattern is fine, the bottom tapers to 0 depth. I have verified my board is equal thickness. The attached pictures show it carved a slight frame at the top, tapering to almost no pattern at the bottom. Any suggestions?

lynnfrwd
05-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Could be a dirty y-encoder or your head is not level?

fwharris
05-05-2016, 10:55 AM
The might not be level. Put a wide board in the machine, install the 1/8" cutting bit and then go to the Z sensor data reading. Manually lower the head down so the bit touches the board and write down the readings. Do this across the board and see it there is a difference from key board side to bit plate side.

bergerud
05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
I think that if the board was of uniform thickness, your head must not be level. Crank it to near the top and look at the tops of the posts on each side to see if it looks level.

DickB
05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Looking closely at your photo, I see that the carving bit is scanning a rectangular area at the surface of your project/pattern. It is cutting 1/16" or so at the top tapering off at the bottom. This tends to confirm the head level issue.

However, it also suggest that you have a "background" in your pattern. I would suggest removing it, unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

lynnfrwd
05-05-2016, 11:06 AM
I think that if the board was of uniform thickness, your head must not be level. Crank it to near the top and look at the tops of the posts on each side to see if it looks level.

Don't get it stuck by going all of the way to the top. Stop about 1" from top or at the lip that is on the posts.

lynnfrwd
05-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Looking closely at your photo, I see that the carving bit is scanning a rectangular area at the surface of your project/pattern. It is cutting 1/16" or so at the top tapering off at the bottom. This tends to confirm the head level issue.

However, it also suggest that you have a "background" in your pattern. I would suggest removing it, unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

This Project Designer Tutorial may help: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Tutorials/Design_Project_Importing_Images.pdf

fgiesen
05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
BINGO! Now off to learn how to make it level :)
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2016, 01:12 PM
What has happened over time is that the cross connect under the machine that transfers the hand crank to the far side has slipped a tooth and the head is no longer level. Usually when the smooth rails that the head rides up and down on get dirty and the 4 long bearing surfaces get dry, it gets harder to crank the head. This leads to the far side to slip a tooth and become un level.

The reading the Z Data way of checking head level is posted above a few times or just crank down on a wide board with 2 one inch wide strips of paper laying on top of the board. Pull the strips of paper... If one comes out... your head is HIGH...

Use Caution under the machine as it is a SHOCK HAZARD....

Cleaning and lubricating the long bearing on the smooth shaft helps as does cleaning the threaded jacking screw. And speaking of the Jacking Screw... It is RARE but the NUT on top of the Jacking Screw, especially the FAR one from the Crank has been known to STRIP... and needs replacement.:mrgreen:

Edit Ooops... Laser Engraver fun from 2007... wrong picture.... another long thin picture...

AL

lynnfrwd
05-05-2016, 01:35 PM
BINGO! Now off to learn how to make it level :)
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Good job.

These may help. Found by typing "level head" in Support search bar:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf

http://support.carvewright.com/aligning-the-corner-posts/