PDA

View Full Version : bit eventually carves through work piece

Tom
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
The problem is machine starts carving pattern at required depth then bit gradualy carves deeper as work piece is advanced along track, bit eventually carves through work piece in this case is 3/4" thick maple, at same time bit is carving pattern. Did have problem with cover, machine prompted me to close cover when it was already closed, opened cover checked switch (working ok) closed cover worked ok after that. Had a spring sound when closing cover a couple times. Cleaned machine and all sensors. With new work piece in machine bit still did not perform correctly, bit left carved surface very bumpy, Stopped machine. Can you help.
Thanks Tom

Jeff_Birt
03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Tom, without seeing pictures of the results I would say it sounds like a possible problem with the Z-truck being loose or the Z-drive going south. Probably a good time to call the CW guys.

Tom
03-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'll give them a call tommorrow

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Tom,

Bit movement. Is the bit tight in the holder or is it moving within the holder. Should be removable blue loctite on bit shaft and set screws to prevent this. Mark the bit shaft with a marker to see if the bit moves in the holder in the future. To remove the set screws without stripping the head, heat the holder with a candle or heat gun.

Bad Z encoder. The Z or up down encoder is a known problem and will, in my case cause the bit to drill itself into the wood. See Picture.

Close Cover warning. There are 2 switches hooked up to different places. The one on the far side from the keyboard has 115 VAC and goes into the motor circuit. The one next to the Key Pad is most likely the problem. While blowing air into the unit I blew the connector in the back of the unit. You need to remove the 4 cover screws to push it back in.

Bumpy surface. Loose Bit or poor quality .jpg image.

Do a search on carve quality to find more on that. You might need to clean up the picture in a photo program.

Read, Read, Read... The answers are already here.

Good Luck.

AL