PDA

View Full Version : Animal heads

Glenda
04-22-2016, 06:23 PM
I have 3 animal heads I would like to do. Still new to this. Is anyone willing to do one and then explain how it was done?

I have and elk head that was originally done as a scroll saw design. I want the part that is cut out to just be thinner than the rest of the design and the pattern to be taller.

oscarl48
04-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Glenda, for a simple pattern design it can be fairly simple and straight forward. If you are importing pictures it is helpful being a little knowledgeable with a graphics program of some sort to clean up images as preparation for importing into designer.

Open designer> go to File> Import> Import as image file> open the image> save to your pattern library.

If you want you can post the image and we can see what can be done with it.

Glenda
04-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Just not sure how to do inside lines...

oscarl48
04-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Glenda, the quality of the image is really important if you are using it for pattern making. The enclosed image was really small and had a lot of noise (grainy). It would be really hard to get a good pattern from it as it was.

It took it into Corel and enlarged it. Removed the noise from the image. Converted to black and white to remove the different spots inside the colored area and then converted back to 32bit image. By doing that I could then import it directly into designer. You can use any graphics software to clean up the image.

The image I created is enclosed so you can play with in designer and see what you like. Once ported into designer you can play with the height and depth of the pattern to see what most appeals to you.

Glenda
04-23-2016, 01:05 AM
did you use any special add ons? I only have the basic sftware?

oscarl48
04-23-2016, 08:28 AM
No add-ons required but it took me a good 15-20 minutes in Corel to work on the graphic. The add-ons make life easier and there are certain add-ons that are essential for certain things but you can create very good patterns without them. You do have be skilled with other software programs though.

I highly recommend looking at all the Carvewright software tutorials on the main site. There is also a wealth of information on Youtube. Look up AskBud for his video tutorials. His videos held my hand when I started with this machine. It took a while (I've had mine for 2 years) but I feel very comfortable using it now and making patterns for it.

mtylerfl
04-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Hi Glenda,

Another way to make patterns (models) really easily is to sculpt the animal heads by hand with oven-bake Sculpey Clay then scan them with a probe. I have sculpted many items placed on a ceramic tile, baked them in the oven, coat with thin CA glue, then use the CarveWright Scanning Probe accessory to create the digital model version!

This is a great way to make your own models very quickly and you don't have much of a learning curve other than the how-to use the Scanning Probe and it's accompanying software (it's easy to do). You do need to build a Scanning Sled, but that can be done in about 30 minutes or less.

Here is a link to the Scanning Probe FAQ:
http://support.carvewright.com/scanning-probe-faq/

Here is a link to a "How-To" Scanning Probe Techniques article I wrote back in 2008:
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jun08.pdf

bjbethke
04-23-2016, 09:44 PM
I have 3 animal heads I would like to do. Still new to this. Is anyone willing to do one and then explain how it was done?

I have and elk head that was originally done as a scroll saw design. I want the part that is cut out to just be thinner than the rest of the design and the pattern to be taller.

I made a little PDF file to show how I make my patterns. Hope this helps. BJB

normrichards
04-23-2016, 10:57 PM
I made a little PDF file to show how I make my patterns. Hope this helps. BJB

That was really informative, I can't wait to try it . Thank you.

cestout
04-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Corel is expensive. Paint.NET is a free download and will do a lot.
Clint