PDA

View Full Version : Owl Light switch cover

autobodyman
04-22-2016, 02:01 AM
Again this isn't using the carvewright so if necessary moderators please pull this post.

The dimmer switch in the wife's office was starting to wear out, had to thump it to get it on and off. I told her I would replace it and she said she didn't want a dimmer just an on off switch.

Back when I converted this "basement" into her office I framed it with 2x2's over the clay tile walls. Some of the 2x2's were apparently slightly twisted, anyway this light switch box was crooked against the wall and stuck out a bit far, so I decided to make her a switch cover to compensate. Took me 3 afternoons to route, carve, sand, and clearcoat this. It's made from 3/4" thick white oak and curly maple. Had some 14mm eyes that I bought for that owl post carving I did a few years ago and they were to small for that carving.

I think if I make another one of these it would go quite a lot faster. I carved the lines first because of the excessive depth of the recess in the back ( I was concerned about carving into the deep recess), next time I would just rough it out then do the lines.

Thanks ~Mike
80710 80711 80712 80713 80714 80715 80716

henry1
04-22-2016, 04:44 AM
Been a while auto nice job and I quit a few of light switch you did a nice one wow

Scooby
04-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Glow in the dark eyes would be cool and functional.

CarverJerry
04-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Cool, nice job. You should make that into a project. I like it...a lot and the glow in the dark eyes would be a nice option. Thanks for posting.

mtylerfl
04-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Excellent, Mike! I like the idea of glow-in-the-dark eyes, too. Will make a cool project alright!

shortyscwater17
02-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Are you able to share the file for this? Maybe I can find someone to convert it to work with CW. My daughter's room is Owl themed so I know this will be a perfect addition. Thanks in advance.

Again this isn't using the carvewright so if necessary moderators please pull this post.

The dimmer switch in the wife's office was starting to wear out, had to thump it to get it on and off. I told her I would replace it and she said she didn't want a dimmer just an on off switch.

Back when I converted this "basement" into her office I framed it with 2x2's over the clay tile walls. Some of the 2x2's were apparently slightly twisted, anyway this light switch box was crooked against the wall and stuck out a bit far, so I decided to make her a switch cover to compensate. Took me 3 afternoons to route, carve, sand, and clearcoat this. It's made from 3/4" thick white oak and curly maple. Had some 14mm eyes that I bought for that owl post carving I did a few years ago and they were to small for that carving.

I think if I make another one of these it would go quite a lot faster. I carved the lines first because of the excessive depth of the recess in the back ( I was concerned about carving into the deep recess), next time I would just rough it out then do the lines.

Thanks ~Mike
80710 80711 80712 80713 80714 80715 80716