PDA

View Full Version : Y axis error cutting 2x6 wood block with deep carve 1/16 bit

Franklinp44
04-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Hello, I am trying to cut letters out of a 2x6. I figured out the software end and had limited success making a few. Now I am just trying to do a basic V letter. It starts the first pass fine but the second pass misses by an inch or so and soon after I get a y axis error. I took the y gear box off my other machine and swapped it onto this one because the bearings did have some play. I have nudged the y belt a bit tighter. I have cleaned and lubed the rails. I have not replaced the bit yet. Normally they break long before they get dull. Could a dull bit cause it to track wrong and cause the error? Or am I asking to much of machine? It has successfully cut out a total of 12 letters between two long carve bits. Thanks for any help.

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Yes, I think it is a dull bit...

Back to cutting letters out of a 2 x 6... I did this out of PVC Board with the machine. IF I were to do it today, I would cut a hardboard letter with the machine. Then place it on the 2x6 and trace it. Then rough cut it with a saber saw leaving some wood. Re attach the hardboard then use a router table with a bearing bit on the top or bottom to follow the hardboard and clean up the 2x6 letter. Just my 2 cents....

AL

Franklinp44
04-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Yes, I think it is a dull bit...

Back to cutting letters out of a 2 x 6... I did this out of PVC Board with the machine. IF I were to do it today, I would cut a hardboard letter with the machine. Then place it on the 2x6 and trace it. Then rough cut it with a saber saw leaving some wood. Re attach the hardboard then use a router table with a bearing bit on the top or bottom to follow the hardboard and clean up the 2x6 letter. Just my 2 cents....

AL Interesting Idea. I wonder if they make router bits long enough to go through a 2x6 and still have room for bearing. Thanks for the reply.

Mugsowner
04-19-2016, 10:03 PM
I know they do have router bit s to handle an 2 x 6. I have them that have 2" cut range up from the bearing.

SteveNelson46
04-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Hello, I am trying to cut letters out of a 2x6. I figured out the software end and had limited success making a few. Now I am just trying to do a basic V letter. It starts the first pass fine but the second pass misses by an inch or so and soon after I get a y axis error. I took the y gear box off my other machine and swapped it onto this one because the bearings did have some play. I have nudged the y belt a bit tighter. I have cleaned and lubed the rails. I have not replaced the bit yet. Normally they break long before they get dull. Could a dull bit cause it to track wrong and cause the error? Or am I asking to much of machine? It has successfully cut out a total of 12 letters between two long carve bits. Thanks for any help.

First of all the limit for the standard cutting bit is only 1" and there are no provisions in the software to use a long bit for a cutout. If you are substituting the long bit when the machine is calling for the standard bit that would explain why you are breaking bits. It is not a common thing to break a bit. Even when the bit is dull. I have been using the same 1/8" cutting bit for the last several projects on mostly hard Maple and, with exception of a few fuzzies, I have not had any problems with tracking or breaking bits. If you are breaking bits that often I think you may have other issues. If each pass of a cutout is off by that much you definitely have either a tracking problem or the head pressure is not within limits. Also, substituting the long bit for the standard cutting bit and trying to force it to carve deeper will cause the problems you have described.