PDA

View Full Version : Help with OSU logo

sshelle
04-12-2016, 08:18 AM
We're working on getting a crafter's license for Oklahoma State University, and are having trouble getting Pistol Pete to come out clean. I have taken the official black and white logo, made it into a jpg through vector magic, downloaded as a pattern, and tried everything I can think of. I want it to run like centerline text, creating an outline that looks just like the vector. Some of the lines are thicker than others, and I've tried trimming edges, manually erasing thicker areas, etc. It still makes double lines and such. Ideally I would like it to be like an icon or text, where it would be clean, scale perfectly, etc.805628056380566Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The black mustache and hair can be outlines as well to keep it simple. I've tried taking out his face wrinkles just to make it cleaner. I just can't get one clean line. . .it wants to keep making two passes. . . . .

oscarl48
04-12-2016, 10:28 AM
In Corel I ran the contour edge effect of trace contour and then converted to vector graphic. I saved it as a dxf but I don't own the dxf add on but ran it in demo mode to see how it looks. There are a few gaps but since I don't use dxf files don't know if horrible.

Send me a pm with your email and I can email you the dxf if you want to play with it.

bergerud
04-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Sshelle: do you have Designer Pro?

Oscar: you can post a .dxf

SteveNelson46
04-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Will this help? I did a outline trace in Corel Draw and came up with this. Just delete the bit assignments for the line drawing.

EDIT: Looks like Oscar and I were working in it at the same time.

Durtdawber
04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
This looks much better... :):) :twisted::twisted:

SteveNelson46
04-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Here it is as a vector group. After the import I had to remove a hundred or so vertices to get it to work.

sshelle
04-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Wow, guys! Thank you for your help! I will try messing with these soon and let you know how it goes! Thanks again! :)

sshelle
04-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to download this image, and it says it was created with a newer version of software, yet my computer says I have the latest. . . version 1.187. . . but it won't let me open the file! Did I miss a step somewhere?

sshelle
04-12-2016, 04:53 PM
I just have the basic designer. . . .

bjbethke
04-12-2016, 06:47 PM
We're working on getting a crafter's license for Oklahoma State University, and are having trouble getting Pistol Pete to come out clean. I have taken the official black and white logo, made it into a jpg through vector magic, downloaded as a pattern, and tried everything I can think of. I want it to run like centerline text, creating an outline that looks just like the vector. Some of the lines are thicker than others, and I've tried trimming edges, manually erasing thicker areas, etc. It still makes double lines and such. Ideally I would like it to be like an icon or text, where it would be clean, scale perfectly, etc.805628056380566Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The black mustache and hair can be outlines as well to keep it simple. I've tried taking out his face wrinkles just to make it cleaner. I just can't get one clean line. . .it wants to keep making two passes. . . . .

When I use the Centerline function; I like to make the pattern in a Font. My Font Generator cost about $80.00 - You need to load the font in your computer to see the image.

SteveNelson46
04-12-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm trying to download this image, and it says it was created with a newer version of software, yet my computer says I have the latest. . . version 1.187. . . but it won't let me open the file! Did I miss a step somewhere?

Vector Group is part of Designer version 3. I could try to make a pattern but that would defeat the vector group idea (V-carve). My previous post of Pistol Pete.mpc is a Designer 1.187 file.

sshelle
04-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Lolololololol. . . durtdawber

marsam531
04-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Gee, I thought you were talking about Brutus Buckeye!!!!!

bjbethke
04-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Gee, I thought you were talking about Brutus Buckeye!!!!!

Is this the Guy you are looking for?

sshelle
04-17-2016, 10:53 AM
When I use the Centerline function; I like to make the pattern in a Font. My Font Generator cost about $80.00 - You need to load the font in your computer to see the image.

I have downloaded the Pistol Pete font into the Carvewright folder, and it shows as a font when I go to add text to a project. What do I type to get one of the Pete heads to show up? Is there a letter or number associated with the Pete head font? This is my first font attempt with a picture. Thank you for your help!

bjbethke
04-17-2016, 11:58 AM
I have downloaded the Pistol Pete font into the Carvewright folder, and it shows as a font when I go to add text to a project. What do I type to get one of the Pete heads to show up? Is there a letter or number associated with the Pete head font? This is my first font attempt with a picture. Thank you for your help!

It is the CAP. letter P

sshelle
04-17-2016, 12:31 PM
It is the CAP. letter P

How cool! Thank you! We ran it and it came out great! We would like one without the deep mustache. . .I'll have to find a Pete without the black-colored hair and mustache. What software are you using? I think we'd like to buy some! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

sshelle
04-17-2016, 01:10 PM
It is the CAP. letter P
I need to try to get this un-blackened hair/mustache into a font. . . 80624

bergerud
04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
There is no point in making a font out of it. You just need to trace it and use a V bit. The point of a font or a vector group is that the wider parts get cut deeper. If all the lines are the same width, there is no point.

sshelle
04-17-2016, 03:27 PM
There is no point in making a font out of it. You just need to trace it and use a V bit. The point of a font or a vector group is that the wider parts get cut deeper. If all the lines are the same width, there is no point.

We've tried tracing the image in SAI Paint and then importing the JPG into Carvewright, but it still doesn't look right. Is there a way to trace a picture in the Carvewright software (I have version 1.187)?

bergerud
04-17-2016, 04:01 PM
See if you can open this and trace it. Just draw splines to follow the curves. (This is from the 2d advanced import to trace feature.)

After you have traced all the curves, copy and paste them all onto a new board.

sshelle
04-17-2016, 07:11 PM
See if you can open this and trace it. Just draw splines to follow the curves. (This is from the 2d advanced import to trace feature.)

After you have traced all the curves, copy and paste them all onto a new board.

Okay, thank you ! I will play with it this week and see how it goes. . . I think you mean to use the primitives and click, click, click around the picture?

bergerud
04-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Here is a start.

bjbethke
04-17-2016, 07:56 PM
How cool! Thank you! We ran it and it came out great! We would like one without the deep mustache. . .I'll have to find a Pete without the black-colored hair and mustache. What software are you using? I think we'd like to buy some! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

I use several programs to make my Outline images. To make the font images I use Vector Magic programs. You need to replace the font program to see the new changes. I used Cap letters O, P, and R. The Sketch Me More is a free program from Windows 8 and 10

Note; Centerline carves the center of the Black line in the image. If you use the "V" bits to carve a Black line it will carve the outside of the black line. That is why I like to use Fonts to carve the center. The images you make are called Dingbats'. That name came from using Hand Set type on the old newspaper machines - they were use to fill in the blank space in the printing Chase. I have an old Linotype and Ludlow machine to make that type. I used it to make Rubber Stamps. The computer killed that type of a Job.

SteveNelson46
04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Unless I've totally missed the mark, Oscar and I have already done this for you. See post #4. I can attach the DXF if you need it.

bjbethke
04-17-2016, 10:30 PM
Unless I've totally missed the mark, Oscar and I have already done this for you. See post #4. I can attach the DXF if you need it.

Hi; I think he was looking for a Centerline carving, With a DXF file you are not carving the center - It carves the two outsides. With a font you can carve the image three ways. Centerline, Outline and Raster. BJB

bergerud
04-17-2016, 10:44 PM
I agree Steve. What you had looked good. I think there was some mind changing going on and what you had was forgotten. I think the problem here is to get the mustache into the foreground. I think it should really be a carving. Do some shading and run it through Shadermap.

bjbethke
04-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I agree Steve. What you had looked good. I think there was some mind changing going on and what you had was forgotten. I think the problem here is to get the mustache into the foreground. I think it should really be a carving. Do some shading and run it through Shadermap.

Hi; you think this will work?

sshelle
04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
I use several programs to make my Outline images. To make the font images I use Vector Magic programs. You need to replace the font program to see the new changes. I used Cap letters O, P, and R. The Sketch Me More is a free program from Windows 8 and 10

Note; Centerline carves the center of the Black line in the image. If you use the "V" bits to carve a Black line it will carve the outside of the black line. That is why I like to use Fonts to carve the center. The images you make are called Dingbats'. That name came from using Hand Set type on the old newspaper machines - they were use to fill in the blank space in the printing Chase. I have an old Linotype and Ludlow machine to make that type. I used it to make Rubber Stamps. The computer killed that type of a Job.

Ta da! The second Pistol Pete font "O" is what we were looking for! Put it on a 4" board to see how it looked and scaled, and voila! Thank you thank you thank you! Is Font Generator 9.1 the software you used?80647

bergerud
04-18-2016, 07:39 PM
I tried something like that as well. I could not get the height of the mustache to be below the nose and yet above the face.

Edit: looks like all is well!

sshelle
04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and ideas! I've been working on Pete for a few months, trying all kinds of things, but ended up with double lines, divots everywhere, etc. We just got the CW in December and have been trying to learn...so much to learn! We do other signs, but wanted to get a crafter's license for OSU. Didn't feel like we needed to bother until we could get a good Pete! I should have come on here a lot sooner (no wait, that's OU, LOL). Thanks for all the patience and help with a newbie!

bjbethke
04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Ta da! The second Pistol Pete font "O" is what we were looking for! Put it on a 4" board to see how it looked and scaled, and voila! Thank you thank you thank you! Is Font Generator 9.1 the software you used?80647

Hi; mine is an older version, Same company, but mine is version 6.5. - BJB