PDA

View Full Version : spindle stops turning

sshelle
04-10-2016, 02:54 PM
yesterday my relatively new machine was spinning up for choose bit, went through the tool length process, started spinning and moving towards the board as normal, and then stopped spinning, the machine pulled the non-spinning tool along the path until it got a y axis error. Now I watch it closely and am having to shut it off and restart it at times to get it to run properly. Pulled the cable and see no issues there, anyone else have this issue and if yes please advise on how I should proceed
Thanks
Shelley and Brian

fwharris
04-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Was the cut motor running and the bit not spinning or was the cut motor not running? How many cut motor hours since you last changed cut motor brushes?

sshelle
04-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Was the cut motor running and the bit not spinning or was the cut motor not running? How many cut motor hours since you last changed cut motor brushes?
Cut motor was running have since pulled drive cable and reinserted and last two projects ran fine am hopeful that solved issue

Mugsowner
04-10-2016, 08:24 PM
I had an issue like this a week or so ago. I played with the cover switch n the right hand side. No issues sine then.

fwharris
04-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Cut motor was running have since pulled drive cable and reinserted and last two projects ran fine am hopeful that solved issue

It sounds like the cable was not inserted into the cutting motor...

bergerud
04-11-2016, 12:33 AM
If the motor is running the whole time and yet the spindle stops, you might check the sheath near the cut motor. Some have had the sheath come apart there. The sheath is then effectively longer and then the core is not long enough to keep the motor and spindle connected.

universal-sasquatch
04-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I had the sheath separate at the base when I first received it and was doing exactly as you described along with breaking cutting bits. I taped it up and that worked for a couple of months and then I had to replace it.

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2016, 12:23 PM
If the cut motor quit running then like posted above the brushes need to be replaced. If the right side cover safety switch is giving you problems you could put a tape "Seat Belt" on the clear cover when it is 1/4 way up that when down pulls the cover toward the switch. I have one on my left switch.

AL

sshelle
04-25-2016, 06:08 PM
I had the sheath separate at the base when I first received it and was doing exactly as you described along with breaking cutting bits. I taped it up and that worked for a couple of months and then I had to replace it.

I have checked the sheath and it looks fine, do these split along the length or around the circumference? My cable pulls out of the cutting head randomly, usually after pulling up in Z and then going back down to the board. I have reinserted it multiple times but doesn't stay in the cutting head for much more than an hour. Should I buy a new cable? Has anyone ever shortened the sheath to make the cable protrude further? We got this at Christmas and has 71 hours on the motor, I haven't called support yet but will if no one has a ready solution I can implement
Thanks
Brian and Shelley

cestout
04-25-2016, 06:34 PM
You say the spindle stops spinning - does the cut motor stop or does the motor keep running and the spindle not spin? In other words, is the problem the cut motor or the flex shaft?
Clint

bergerud
04-25-2016, 06:54 PM
The flex sheath is held into the "top hat" by a small ball bearing the size of a BB. Check to see if the ball bearing is there.

fwharris
04-25-2016, 07:36 PM
I have checked the sheath and it looks fine, do these split along the length or around the circumference? My cable pulls out of the cutting head randomly, usually after pulling up in Z and then going back down to the board. I have reinserted it multiple times but doesn't stay in the cutting head for much more than an hour. Should I buy a new cable? Has anyone ever shortened the sheath to make the cable protrude further? We got this at Christmas and has 71 hours on the motor, I haven't called support yet but will if no one has a ready solution I can implement
Thanks
Brian and Shelley

Asking your questions here will give you some ideas to look for but I would highly suggest you call CarveWright since your machine is still under warranty.

sshelle
04-25-2016, 08:45 PM
You say the spindle stops spinning - does the cut motor stop or does the motor keep running and the spindle not spin? In other words, is the problem the cut motor or the flex shaft?
Clint
The cut motor continues to run, in fact it spools up in rpm because the cable has pulled out of the spindle and no longer has a load on it. The ball bearing is in place, the sheath is still inserted in the top hat, but the cable has pulled our of the square drive, one time it remained in the spindle and pulled out from the cut motor. I'm beginning to think the cable is defective, that perhaps it is twisting inside the sheath and that shortens it's length causing it to pull out?

bergerud
04-25-2016, 10:17 PM
The core should stick out around 1/4" when the core is pushed all the way back into the motor. If it does not, you might look at where the sheath connects to the motor. It may be disconnected or it may have become unglued from itself. This would make the sheath effectively longer.

fwharris
04-25-2016, 11:00 PM
The core should stick out around 1/4" when the core is pushed all the way back into the motor. If it does not, you might look at where the sheath connects to the motor. It may be disconnected or it may have become unglued from itself. This would make the sheath effectively longer.

Agree on that one! It does sound like the sheath is to long. You did state that the sheath came apart once. Did you replace it or try to glue it back together?

universal-sasquatch
04-26-2016, 01:00 PM
My sheath first separated at the end where the larger circumference part that plugs into the "top hat" was glued to the rest of the sheath. The second failure was the heat shrink just above this. By that time I had put over 250 hours on the machine so I just replaced it. I'd show it on a picture but I am on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwbcpastor
06-16-2016, 11:48 AM
my machine does this. It's the cover sensor on the top right. little white button.. If I hold my cover down it cuts fine. Let it go and the speed varies, after a while the spindle stops and if I let it continue to run the pattern I get a z axis message ,push enter before that shows up and hold the cover down FINE let go and after a few minutes it stops again. no immediate message it just keeps following the pattern until the z axis message appears and the machine stops. I do not know how to adjust it. So, I put a small piece of wood against the tit on the cover and tape it closed. Works great but wish I knew how to adjust it.

kwbcpastor
06-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Buy the way, anyone know how to start a new thread?

fwharris
06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Here are a couple of documents that might help you out... One thought, do you have a dust collection attachment? If so is it possible the clear cover is in contact with it holding the cover up just a bit?

http://support.carvewright.com/tightening-the-clear-cover-pins/

http://support.carvewright.com/cover-switch-replacement-controller-lft-ac-motor-rt-cut-off-switches-pdf/

fwharris
06-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Buy the way, anyone know how to start a new thread?

Go to the area that most applies to your subject. In the upper left corner there will be a box, "post new thread"

kwbcpastor
06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
I do have a dust cover (a must for every carvewright) but I have made sure there is plenty of clearance. That was a problem when I first installed it.. But noticed it right away thankfully. Thanks for the sites.

kwbcpastor
06-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks! I will try to find the first post you mentioned. I am old and not familiar with this technology. But I'm learning from great people like you!!

kwbcpastor
06-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Hey, I got almost right away, Thanks again now I can start a new post!!