PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet

dukecreek
03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I have only had my machine for a day and already I am having problems. Trying to lower the head, the ratchet kicks in and all it does when I turn the crank to lower is click, click, click. I have turned the drive screw inside the machine, cleaned and re-lubricated all four corner supports. I even lowered the head completely by manually turning the screw inside the machine. The head cranks up completely but when I lower it, all it does is click about 3 or 4 times each revolution. The only way I can lower the head is reach inside and push down on the assemply while cranking down. Please help:-|

Sarge
03-18-2007, 12:01 PM
You're in Michigan, how cold is your shop? I had similar issues, but they go away when it's above 55 degrees. Sounds strange, but true.. the temperature does have an effect on it.

Rickrljones
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Make sure your red handle lock in in the unlock position. Check to see if the head if level to the machine, if not, us a allen wrench to crank the right side jack screw as neccesary...

Kenm810
03-18-2007, 01:02 PM
• Vertical Lockup: First Check RED Handle Lock,
Yes sometime we forget the basics,
Also Cranking the head beyond its highest useable
height can result in it locking in a position where the head crank cannot
lower it. Releasing from this locked position it is very easy. The
threaded head screw needs to be manually turned and can be
accessed from the inside of the machine. On this head screw, just
above the traction belts, is a hole into which an Allen wrench or similar
tool can be inserted. Using the Allen wrench as leverage, turn the
head screw a clockwise direction to unlock it.

The diagram is attached below.

Sarge
03-18-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2731

Is this the same issue? If so, don't bring the head ALL the way up to the top.

dukecreek
03-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Fixed the ratchet problem, too cold in garage. Warmed up the machine.......now I can't get rid of the following

"Z axis stall........error 246

Jeff_Birt
03-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Have you updated your firmware? What are the circumstances when the erorr happens.

dukecreek
03-18-2007, 03:11 PM
It occurs when I lower the head and lock it then try a functiion like "measure board" etc. etc.

Sarge
03-18-2007, 03:30 PM
;) I had some of the same errors, but it was due to my braindead, pig-headedness.

This may sound juvenile or disrespectful, but it's not intended to be.

Okay first , make sure the card is in tight and shut the machine down. Remove your card, take it to the computer and format it. Then make sure you're working with the most current Firmware. Load your project to the card. Don't turn the machine on until you have the card inserted! This will occasionally cause an error. (It's like a computer booting up , but jumped over a crucial step.

Similar process in reverse for shut downs. Make sure you don't take the card out of the machine until the LCD goes out!!!!

I'm not saying this is "Expert" advice, but it has worked for me. I haven't had any error messages for awhile (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!).

Jeff_Birt
03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
First thing to do is upgrade to Firmware/Designer version 1.20 (as the Sarge says). Open Designer click Help -> Check for updates.

dukecreek
03-19-2007, 02:58 AM
Downloaded new software, reformated card, placed machine in a warm environment and kissed its butt, then let it sleep all night. It took over 8 hours to download the new software on my slow dial up connection. If they sell these machines as fast as they can make them, why are they putting software in the package for a 2005 program. That would be like buying a new Dell Computer with an operating system of Windows 98.. Come on Carvewright, get with the program!!!!!

Jeff_Birt
03-19-2007, 08:35 AM
why are they putting software in the package for a 2005 program

Huh? The latest versions of Designer have been released in the last 3-4 weeks. The version that was shipped with the machines was released last November or so.

meat
03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Downloaded new software, reformated card, placed machine in a warm environment and kissed its butt, then let it sleep all night. It took over 8 hours to download the new software on my slow dial up connection. If they sell these machines as fast as they can make them, why are they putting software in the package for a 2005 program. That would be like buying a new Dell Computer with an operating system of Windows 98.. Come on Carvewright, get with the program!!!!!

Naah. It's more like shipping with the latest production version of the software, and going to the website to get the updates...y'know, like both Windows and Apple machines do every day.

It'd be great if you'd post with a problem, rather than just bitching about your lack of technology and blaming others for it.

If you've got a problem, then use the search button here. If you're on dial-up ... EVERYONE and their cousins offer DSL and cable for about the same price. That you don't have it isn't Carvewright's fault.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Your pal,
Meat.

Jeff_Birt
03-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Now Meat play nice :p. Belive it or not some places do not have access to DSL or Cable. I used to live out in the sticks and only had dial-up, satalite was too expensive for me :( . Downloading stuff overnight was quite common for me . I think it great that we do have quicker (realitivly) access to software upgrades than having to resort to snail mail.

Julie Coffey
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok Meat I adore you but I noticed where he was from. Just so you know I was on a waiting list for 2.5 years to get DSL and I'm just one block off the Interstate! There is a VERY good chance its not available where he's at.

I know your in sunny CA. but believe it or not we Northerners aren't as lucky as ya'll down that-a-ways in those things.

Believe it or not its NOT available everywhere- some places up here people have cable but not cable modems available either. I know its nuts but there it is.

As it is I send stuff to Barb (IM2HAPPY) via 3 day mail because she's on dial up too.

It's a trade off here but in return were we lived compared to where we moved from. (Spokane WA)

Then-
The city of 300k+ LOTS of crime and released sex offenders.

Now- village of 1400 after the cat had kittens, and I can leave my purse in an unlocked car parked on the road for a week it AND the car are still there.

We have Amish and fireflies, cornfields and people who still farm with draft horses (not just the Amish). No crime, sex offenders or juvenile delinquents. Love of God and family. SUPPORT OUR TROUPS and love our Country -I just love the Midwest.

Julie

(this post was brought to you by the Move to Michigan campaign 2007 ::winks::)

Gman_Ind
03-19-2007, 02:09 PM
When I moved out to my place 10 years ago we had no High speed options and the Cable company satellite office is located just across the road from me but the phone company hub was (is) too far away for DSL.
Cable company said there was not enough interest to put it in back then. Now it is so expensive I wish I didn't rely on it so much.

I like Pkunks tip about pushing down on the carriage to increase the down pressure when cranking it down.

pkunk
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
At least someone likes me for something!:) Where I live, DSL or Cable will probably not be available for another 20 years. I went the Wildblue route and while $50 for the basic service is a little steep, even dial up was sketchy at times and if I wanted internet at all it was the only choice.

meat
03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
While I appreciate all the comments (and, BTW, DSL in my neighborhood is flakey), my original argument is still valid: not having DSL or cable ISN'T CarveWright's fault.

Your pal,
Meat.

cajunpen
03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Man, and I though I had it tough living here in the Newly Created (Katrina) 3rd World Country we call New Orleans. Even after all of the mess we had, my cable and internet were back up before I could find an open grocery to buy food - got to get our priorities in order:p

I have cable internet AND I also have a Sprint card for my laptop. It's a bit pricy @ $59.99/month, but if you have a business you can write it off. It's not as quick as cable - but a heck of a lot faster than dial up. Just a thought for you dial-up users.

cajunpen
03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Dukecreek, they have a toll free number. 800-573-1226. Don't know that it will get you actually speaking to anyone - but at least you won't have to pay for the call. Hope you get it all worked out, the machine is worth the aggravation when you finally get all the "bugs" worked out. I've bee VERY luck with mine.

TerryT
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok Meat I adore you but I noticed where he was from. Just so you know I was on a waiting list for 2.5 years to get DSL and I'm just one block off the Interstate! There is a VERY good chance its not available where he's at.

I know your in sunny CA. but believe it or not we Northerners aren't as lucky as ya'll down that-a-ways in those things.

Believe it or not its NOT available everywhere- some places up here people have cable but not cable modems available either. I know its nuts but there it is.

As it is I send stuff to Barb (IM2HAPPY) via 3 day mail because she's on dial up too.

It's a trade off here but in return were we lived compared to where we moved from. (Spokane WA)

Then-
The city of 300k+ LOTS of crime and released sex offenders.

Now- village of 1400 after the cat had kittens, and I can leave my purse in an unlocked car parked on the road for a week it AND the car are still there.

We have Amish and fireflies, cornfields and people who still farm with draft horses (not just the Amish). No crime, sex offenders or juvenile delinquents. Love of God and family. SUPPORT OUR TROUPS and love our Country -I just love the Midwest.

Julie

(this post was brought to you by the Move to Michigan campaign 2007 ::winks::)

An ex-Spokanite! I'm still here in good old spokaloo. It's worse than it was when I was a kid but I still like it. Not as bad as some cities of the same size. Unfortunately I can't take too many corn fields.

How long ago did you leave?

Sarge
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Meat,
Believe it or not, I live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. Comcast is available @ $75 to $100 a month. Qwest and AT&T don't have service to my neighborhood. I'll live with the dial up for now.

meat
08-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Meat,
Believe it or not, I live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. Comcast is available @ $75 to $100 a month. Qwest and AT&T don't have service to my neighborhood. I'll live with the dial up for now.

You might want to think about getting DSL or cable ... It took you five months to respond to my post on this thread. :D

Your pal,
Meat.

Jeff_Birt
08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
ROFL, Meat that was a great response. :) Good to see you back around here.

VtBlues
08-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Up here in Northern Vermont the only option(which is only in the last few months) is the wild blue route. One drawback to living in a town of only about 1600. But then I have no crime or traffic noise and the tallest mountain in the state out my front window.

BobHill
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I've used Hughes.net when it was DirectWay when renting a place in the Georgia mountains (hills, for those of us used to the western MOUNTAINS) and I was very surprised to see that it was very comparable to my DSL at home (but far from the speed of FIOS which gets installed Monday).

Bob

rjustice
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Bob, I am on Hughes net... and also started with them when they were Direcway. What is the FIOS that you speak of?... sattelite?... I cant get DSL in my remote area either.

Ron

BobHill
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Ron,

FIOS is Verizon's word for it's new fiber optic phone/internet/TV type service. It's got three download speeds with the middle speed being the most practical and best for the money: 20mbps (that's megabits per second) and upload speed of 2mbs. this runs $50 per month. The lower range is 5mbps at $35 and the "commercial use" is 30mbps at $140.

DSL ranges from 768kbps and max of 5mbps. DSL is about 15 to 20 times faster than local phone service (128kbps to 384kbps. DSL and Cable are close to the same (1.5mbs to 3mbps), depending upon how much bandwidth is being used by the cable subscribers in a particular area. Although seldom achieved, some cable companies claim up to 15mbps. I don't know all the costs of these.

Anyway, you can see where FIOS (or new fiber optics from phone companies) is pretty neat for those that can have it now. It's not available all over yet, but certainly will be the service in most areas; at least urban areas. Texas was the first area, Virginia, and now Tampa as well as other selected areas have it. It gets installed at my house on Monday.

Bob

rjustice
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
no fiber optics around me.... we use the barbwire fences for the phones :rolleyes:

Hughes net = $96 per month with a static IP... too much! but thats all i know of around here....

Ron