PDA

View Full Version : APRIL 2016 Project of the Month - "Going Bananas!"

mtylerfl
04-05-2016, 12:04 AM
​Hello,

The “Going Bananas!” project is a whimsical version of a banana bunch holder for your kitchen counter. The holder’s hooked arc is an oversize wooden banana connected to the base with mortise and tenon construction. The base features a relief carve of a banana leaf for a little extra whimsy!

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The finished dimensions are about:5" wide x 8" deep x 10.5" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Banana_Halves.mpc
• BASE-and-MIDDLE.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Banana Halves: 0.75" x 11" x 20"
Base and Middle: 0.75" x 11" x 18"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) 1.25" brass cup hook, rubber bands

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Going Bananas! sample made from Select Pine:

BASE:
• Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany stain
• Two coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray
• Applied acrylic craft paints onto the leaf
(greens and yellow mix)
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

BANANA:
• Two coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray to seal
• Wiped on thinned yellow acrylic craft paint to give it a yellow tint, yet allow wood grain to show through
• Two coats of Krylon clear acrylic spray to seal
• Applied browns and black acrylic craft paints to ends of banana and dry-brushed lightly along random high points to simulate a ripening banana
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

Ducky63
04-05-2016, 02:14 PM
I really like that Michael but won't be running for some time. I had rotor cuff surgery on my left shoulder on March 16th. So can't do any woodworking for another 2 months or so. Nice job!!!!!!!!

dbemus
04-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Thank you Michael, for another unique and useful project! This one will be a kitchen conversation piece! Can't wait to make this one!!!

farmer
04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Nice Project when I show it to my daughter she will want one ASAP!!!

rcdages
04-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Once again !!!!! A home run ............................
The POM is great and it will another tool of
learning to all of us.

Very outstanding Michael.

mtylerfl
04-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much everyone!

Sorry to hear about the rotor cuff causing your workshop delay, Ducky! I hope it heals much faster than anticipated.

sunmiztres
04-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Great Project!! You have a good imagination to come up with these projects. Looking forward to making this project. Thanks Michael!!