PDA

View Full Version : Need Guidance on how to achieve what I want

Loriblackdog
04-02-2016, 04:51 AM
Hi all,

I am not sure how to get started on this pattern? I also want to know if what I want to do can be done. I live in Florida, a couple of my friends know I have the carvewright. One wants me to carve the attached as a cut out so she can hang in her Bathroom. I would like the Anchor to be 24 x 12? I am not an artist, so I have no idea what I need to do and in what order. I would really appreciate it if someone could maybe walk me thru this so I can understand what I need to do. I would greatly appreciate any help, that anyone can give me.

Thank you

Lori Blackdog:confused:80464

DickB
04-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Open Designer and make a new project board 24" x 12".
Click File - Import - Import Image File and select your image from your computer.
Click Next.
Click the Raise/Lower down arrow to lower the pattern to get rid of the background.
Click Finish and name your pattern.
Click the Pattern Tool, select your pattern, and place it on the board. Rotate it 90 degrees. Click Outline Pattern.
Delete everything but the outline of the anchor. Select the outline, grab the yellow dots and stretch to size.
Click the cutout tool. Click Flip Cutout. You may want to specify a Maximum Pass Depth of .25" if using the 1/8" cutting bit.

Add text with the Text tool.

BTW I am in Lake Placid FL.

Loriblackdog
04-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Hi DickB

I appreciate all your help, I sometimes get lost on what needs to be done first. Loved the way you took time and did step by step. I can't wait to work on it, I will forward you a copy.

Again, Thank you so much
LoriB

DickB
04-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Your welcome! Can I assume that you know about the 7 inch rule? You will need to cut this out of a longer and wider board, or use a sled.

SteveNelson46
04-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

I am not sure how to get started on this pattern? I also want to know if what I want to do can be done. I live in Florida, a couple of my friends know I have the carvewright. One wants me to carve the attached as a cut out so she can hang in her Bathroom. I would like the Anchor to be 24 x 12? I am not an artist, so I have no idea what I need to do and in what order. I would really appreciate it if someone could maybe walk me thru this so I can understand what I need to do. I would greatly appreciate any help, that anyone can give me.

Thank you

Lori Blackdog:confused:80464

Lori,

We've been here before.

Load a board that is about 9" wide by 16" long.
Center on Board.
Stay under Rollers = No.

I haven't carved it but it should be okay.

Loriblackdog
04-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Hi Steve,

I am sorry but I had some medical issues, that took a while to get thru. I remember you did help me but I didn't recall the attachment you did today. I really appreciate your help, I really am trying to learn this, I am not sure what I do first. I promise I will carve this tomorrow and will post it. I am sorry if I asked the same thing sometimes. Really appreciate everyone's help.

Lori

SteveNelson46
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Hi Steve,

I am sorry but I had some medical issues, that took a while to get thru. I remember you did help me but I didn't recall the attachment you did today. I really appreciate your help, I really am trying to learn this, I am not sure what I do first. I promise I will carve this tomorrow and will post it. I am sorry if I asked the same thing sometimes. Really appreciate everyone's help.

Lori

No apologies necessary. I couldn't find the original so I created it again. Since your picture wasn't the greatest quality, I imported it into Aspire and manually traced the perimeter. It still looked a little "squashed" so I stretched it a little vertically until I thought it looked okay. It might be possible to recreate it using the Designer only if you have all of the tools and add-ons so I can give you the vectors of the tracing if you need them.

I imported the .stl that Aspire created into Designer 3 and used the Text tool for the lettering. Then I couldn't remember if you had Designer 3 so I saved it as a pattern and used it to create the Designer 1.187 version. It would probably carve better if you just import the blank pattern into Designer 1.187 and place the lettering yourself. However, you will need the "Centerline" and "Conforming Vectors" add-ons.

EDIT: For the Designer 3 version, I couldn't get the "Outline Pattern" tool to create a path for the "Cutout" tool to work so I just made it pierced.

Loriblackdog
04-06-2016, 04:10 AM
I knpw O am very slow................I releazied you just redid the anchor with 1.187. Thank you

Loriblackdog
04-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Steve??

The file you sent me was ptn file??? I do not know how to open this, as I do not have Paperport. Is there any way to get this sent to me in png? If so. Thank you very much. If I don't hear back I will assume it can't. Appreciate your help

LoriB

oscarl48
04-06-2016, 10:47 AM
LoriB,

The ptn format is the native format for the Carvewright designer software. Your designer software should open it.

Save the ptn file to your computer to somewhere where you can find it.

Open your carvewright designer program.

Go to File.

Click on Open.

Go to where you saved the file.

Double click on the file and it should bring it up for you.

Hope that helps.

SteveNelson46
04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Steve??

The file you sent me was ptn file??? I do not know how to open this, as I do not have Paperport. Is there any way to get this sent to me in png? If so. Thank you very much. If I don't hear back I will assume it can't. Appreciate your help

LoriB

Lori,

These files are straight forward. Anchor.mpc is a Designer version 3 file, Anchor-187.mpc is a Designer 1.187 file and Anchor.ptn is a pattern that can be imported into any version of the Designer. I included the pattern file so you could add your own text to a blank pattern. PNG files are only pictures. To download the Designer files for carving click on the names below the picture in my post.

Loriblackdog
04-07-2016, 02:48 AM
Yes it did however when I double click it tells me it requires elevation? What does that mean? Sorry to be so dumb, but like I said I am really trying to get this.

LoriB

SteveNelson46
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Lori,

In my message here on the forum (post # 5 ) click on each of the files and save them to your computer. Remember or write down the location of the folder where you saved them. You will need it in the next step. If you save them to your desktop they will be easier to find. Then open the Carvewright Designer. From the menu on the top of your screen select "View, Toolbars" and click on "Pattern List". The pattern list will open on the right side of your screen. In that list, click the right mouse button on "Favorites" and select "Import". Use the pop-up dialogue box to navigate to the folder where you saved the files and click on the pattern file. This will import the pattern into your pattern list. Use the mouse to drag it from the list to your project board.

For the other files, select "Open" from the file menu and navigate to the folder where you saved the files and click on "Anchor-187". This will open the project file and all you need to do is upload it to the data card for carving.

The steps that I have outlined above involve basic computer skills. To explain these is beyond the scope of this forum . If you are having difficulty perhaps you should ask a friend near you for help.