PDA

View Full Version : Pattern for patterndepot

oscarl48
03-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Starting a new thread to show off any new patterns I submit to the pattern depot. Just submitted a baroque style dragon meant to frame a subject. It carved really well. Test carve enclosed.

dbemus
03-28-2016, 02:42 PM
That did carve nicely. Great work. I will be purchasing that one for sure!

SharonB
03-29-2016, 10:28 PM
I like dragons and this is one that I'll have to add to my collection. Great job Oscar.

oscarl48
03-30-2016, 06:05 AM
dbemus, Sharon,

Thank you for the kind comments.

rcdages
03-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Very nice Oscar.

It is one one should have.

zan29
04-03-2016, 10:59 AM
OMG Oscar you're getting better and better! That is a wonderful pattern!

oscarl48
04-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Suzanne, thank you. It still feels like I have a ways to go but I am way further along than when I started.

I've been focusing on learning techniques for architectural scroll figure modeling. I got a little lucky on this one.

Here is my latest effort. I still have to carve it to see how well it carves but I think it should carve well.

Post script: Good thing I posted it before I carved it (I really do need that sign about measuring twic and cutting once).
After looking at it I realized I had missed an element on the left side. I failed to mirror the figure correctly while I was modeling. It was a 30 second fix. Duplicated right side element, mirrored on x axis and then moved to left side position.

oscarl48
04-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Pattern carved out real well. I also completed a second architectural leaf pattern and test carved it as well. It also carved well. I can tell the bit is starting to get dull.

For fun I slapped a few of the patterns together to see what I could get from them.

I still have 3 or 4 more architectural elements to build that can be used as building blocks to create a larger design.

normrichards
04-04-2016, 03:01 PM

On the actual carving it looks like you missed a detail during creation. It is a nice pattern though.

oscarl48
04-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Norm, goes back to the measure twic and cut once. I grabbed the wrong pattern from my library. If you look at the notional design I posted you will see the pattern is fixed. I missed mirroring two elements when I was modeling the pattern. It was an easy fix and the elements are the same in the carving so this test carve is good enough to show me the pattern carves fine. I have deleted the wrong pattern so I'll have to be more creative to mess it up next time. :)

Gary Koval
04-05-2016, 05:22 AM
Oscarl48,
Those did turn out great, very impressive.

oscarl48
04-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Gary thank you. They were fun to make.

oscarl48
04-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Okay, last one in this series. I may come back to this in the future but burning out on architectural elements. I still have to test carve it and see how it looks. I am a little concerned on capturing all the wing detail. I am optimizing at 8 inches across so if I drop it down to 6 or 5 inches it may be okay.

normrichards
04-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Another very nice one!

dbemus
04-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Beautiful work! Hope to see it in the Pattern depot.

oscarl48
04-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Thank you. We'll have to see how it carves this weekend. It may require a little tweaking before submitting.

I did the 3d model in the worst possible way of doing it. It has over 3 million vertices. No overall strategy on building the model which is always a bad way of doing things.

The first three patterns in the series have been submitted for consideration to the pattern depot.

oscarl48
04-09-2016, 10:30 AM
I did have to tweak the 3d model a bit (a lot) but in the end I am really pleased with the pattern that came out. The carving was done in 7in x 10in. I did lose some of the detail with the 1/16 bit but I still like the final carving. I'll upload the pattern on Monday for consideration by the CW staff.

oscarl48
04-14-2016, 08:41 PM
I'll be test carving this this weekend if the weather holds. Multi-tasking patterns. I was working on a knight when the discussion of the Pegasus came up so thought it was the perfect model for that. I had only gotten as far as modeling the horse so just added the wings.

Apr 17, 2016 update: Got a little bit of carving in today. Test carved the Pegasus and I think it came out good. Submitting to the pattern store.

oscarl48
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
I wish all my models came out like this on the first go round. From the first to the last it just flowed and I am super happy with the end result. I'll carve this weekend but I don't see anything that should be an issue.

Update: Carved the pattern. Really pleased with the outcome. It was carved at .4, small draft and bit optimization to best.

oscarl48
07-02-2016, 09:58 AM
I am still unpacking and my shop is still not set up but I can't stay away from 3d modeling for too long. Its not an addiction!

After I get my CW set up (hopefully within two weekends) I'll test carve to ensure no issue with the pattern but at least from the computer screen I am super pleased with it. You should hopefully be seeing it in the pattern depot in a few weeks. You can add other piece parts for additional cool patterns.

Already have my next model picked. A fancy fleur de lis. I'll have to see how that carves because it will be fancy and intricate.

Happy 4th of July to all.

-Oscar

SharonB
07-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Oscar, I really like your eagle. Look forward to seeing what you do with the fleur de lis.

oscarl48
07-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Sharon, thanks. Here is the first draft of the pattern. I still have to tweak the height on a few bits and smooth out the mesh in a few areas but pretty much done. I'm still looking to see if adding little bits and pieces add anything to the pattern.

SharonB
07-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Oh! Oscar, you out did yourself on that one. That is going to be one beautiful carving.

oscarl48
07-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Sharon, finally got my CW up and running. In the move I somehow ripped my dust collector bag but a new one arrived yesterday so I was finally able to do some carving.

The pattern carved pretty good but I would recommend a larger and deeper carve to show the detail if anyone ever does get it.

The architectural eagle came out pretty much the way I thought it would.

The eagle head was on the money on what I was going for. I went back and forth on whether to throw it into the depot since there are several good ones in there already but what the heck. I guess there will be options if anyone ever is looking for one.

mikemi
07-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Oscar,

All 3 carves came out really nice. good job.

Mike

jaustin
07-15-2016, 11:24 PM
I am still unpacking and my shop is still not set up but I can't stay away from 3d modeling for too long. Its not an addiction!

After I get my CW set up (hopefully within two weekends) I'll test carve to ensure no issue with the pattern but at least from the computer screen I am super pleased with it. You should hopefully be seeing it in the pattern depot in a few weeks. You can add other piece parts for additional cool patterns.

Already have my next model picked. A fancy fleur de lis. I'll have to see how that carves because it will be fancy and intricate.

Happy 4th of July to all.

-Oscar
I like the eagle in the round, will you be making this pattern available in the store?

oscarl48
07-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Mike, Thanks.

John, They were all submitted. May take a few days for them to go live.

oscarl48
07-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Still practicing my sculpting but I think the pattern came out decent. I'll test carve tomorrow to make sure nothing wrong with it but some ideas for the artistically gifted out there with paint.

If I can ever figure out how to install the bas relief code into blender I may try to rig and pose the model for some action shots.

Hint..hint...for the blender users. Once you have a 3d model you can articulate it to get different poses and angles for different patterns.

rcdages
07-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Oscar,
Stellar craftsmanship on the patterns.

zan29
07-27-2016, 08:40 AM
WOW Oscar I'm impressed. Your modeling is getting better and better!

oscarl48
07-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Robert, Suzanne, thank you both.

If anyone ever wants to buy it, as always please download to test if the pattern will work for you before actually purchasing. From the test carve I can see it wants to be a larger carving project.

Gary Koval
07-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Oscar,
I agree with everyone else, your getting better with every pattern...
Gary

oscarl48
07-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Gary, thank you for the kind words. Still feel like a newbie. Every time I open the software I learn something new.

oscarl48
08-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Really pleased with this pattern. Test carved in oak so details are a bit hard to make it on the picture. The picture does not do the carving justice. First one is a corner block and the second is done as an applique to glue on a larger piece. I'll throw both in the pattern depot.

Also with Halloween around the corner I'm starting to get some practice in. Made a demon bicorn for my personal library.

I'm sure I will have more demon clowns this year again as we get closer to the holiday. scarrryyyy.

P.S. Stained the corner block colonial maple and three coats of lacquer. The detail shows up a little better. I should mention it was carved 5"x5" and .5 deep on normal. It was under an hour carve. Oak is a great material but it is not a great carving wood I am seeing. I just didn't have a piece of black walnut that was wide enough and I was too inpatient to glue up a board. Cherry would be another good choice with a dark stain.

dbemus
08-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Very impressive work!!! Thanks for sharing!

jaustin
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
What is your store name?
I have looked for Oscar and couldn't find it.

oscarl48
08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
John,

I just realized I don't think I have ever added my store name to the search words. My vendor name is OLG WoodWorks and OLG WoodArt but I did a quick search for them and only my Pike comes up. But I am the last vendor if you bring up the vendor page (at least when I look).

Oscar

oscarl48
08-30-2016, 08:46 PM
The hops and vines thread inspired me to try my hand at creating a related pattern. I am a huge fan of the vectorart3d art. Usually I am drooling at the skill and composition of their patterns but for some reason their hops and vine patterns didn't really call to me. So wanted to build something more in line with my tastes. I still have to test carve to ensure there are no issues.

P.S. Finished the test carve. Carved pattern at 7in x 6in at .25 depth 100 height on normal which took 29 min. Will recommend adding a small draft if carving this small or smaller. Will submit today.

oscarl48
09-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Cleaning out my folders and found this pattern I built for a friend. Throwing it into the depot.

oscarl48
09-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Another batch of patterns going into the depot. Did a batch test carve. The antlers have to be softened a bit since I did have a little bit of tear out at the ends. Otherwise good to go.

From left to right: communion cup, champagne and flutes, modern camera, modern tractor, running deer, off road tire. The board is 7"x24" for comparison.

oscarl48
09-25-2016, 09:34 PM
With the discussion of a toy soldier I had to give it a try. I think it came out pretty good and I'll be throwing it in the depot. I still have to test carve but I don't see any issues visually. Getting better at seeing possible issues in patterns.

oscarl48
11-10-2016, 08:04 PM
A new pattern I'll be test carving for the depot. A mean junk yard dog bust.

normrichards
11-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Really mean looking junk yard dog!

oscarl48
11-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Norm, I am getting to a point where I can not focus so much on the technical aspect of pattern creation and start focusing on my style of art. This is an original model based on a sketch of mine. And best part it carved really well. I did have a little bit of tear out on the rings because I forgot to add a small draft since I was test carving in poplar. In a hardwood it will not be an issue. carved at .25 on normal. 6" tall. Carving is straight from the machine with no sanding.

normrichards
11-13-2016, 12:30 PM
It did carve really well, and I love your artistry.

oscarl48
01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
I made some patterns for a friend on here but thought with a little modification they could be good candidates for the pattern depot. I still have to test carve.

SharonB
01-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Oscar, both are great patterns. Will be nice to see them in the pattern depot.

oscarl48
01-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Sharon, thank you. Finally catching up with my projects so can sit down and build patterns again.

dbemus
01-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Great work on both patterns! Looking forward to seeing them available in pattern depot!

oscarl48
01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
dbemus, thank you. I'll try to carve them tomorrow and see how they look.

oscarl48
01-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Well, both patterns carved really well. So throwing them into the pattern depot.

dbemus
01-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Very nice indeed! Great work!

oscarl48
01-26-2017, 07:30 PM
I still have to tweak a few areas but almost there. I'll test carve this weekend and if no issues I'll throw into the depot. Channel catfish. Image is set at depth .3 and size 9x3", bit optimization to best.

normrichards
01-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Really nice catch!.

oscarl48
01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Norm, nice. I had to chuckle.

oscarl48
01-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Pattern carved well but needed some easy tweaks. Re-ported with slightly different depth of pattern so fins are a little bit more prominent (Designer image of v2). I am not re-carving since I did not actually change anything on the model itself.

I'll upload this weekend for LHR approval to the depot.

farmer
02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Great work Oscar !

oscarl48
02-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks! It was a fun pattern to make.

oscarl48
03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm going to test carve this weekend and if no issues I will be putting it into the pattern depot. To be honest I lucked out on the angle and how good the pattern came out. The 3d model is definitely not as good as the pattern it created. :)

normrichards
03-09-2017, 08:02 PM
That is really cool, I have a 64 ford fairlane that looks a lot like that.

CarverJerry
03-10-2017, 10:41 AM
If it carves good and you put it in the depot please post a direct link to it because I'm going to get it for a buddy who has one. The exact angle I was looking for. Thanks Oscar.

oscarl48
03-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Jerry, I'll post the direct link on here as soon as it gets approved and uploaded to the pattern depot. I think it carved well but please download it first as a TRY to see if it works for you.

Norm, really cool car. This was a fun pattern project.

oscarl48
03-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Did another model but this time of a 1963's sports coupe. I know they look similar but they are completely different models. I did reuse the tires which saved me a few minutes but did swap out the rims for something more sporty. I haven't test carved yet but I think the pattern is not as good as the first. The render is a lot better on the positive side. There are some definite limitations with the tools I use for making certain types of pattern.

oscarl48
04-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Finally got some poplar and carved the sports coupe. It did not carve well. I built the 3d model proportionally correct so when I imported as an stl it ported as a very flat pattern (going from several inches to 3/4in lost all the detail). I re-rendered as a depth grey scale image but just didn't port well. Some models work really well but this one did not.

Finished another pattern this morning. Its based on the dragon entrance guard statues. I'll try carving next weekend and if okay will throw into the depot. Really pleased with with the look of it.

oscarl48
04-22-2017, 12:27 PM
Finally got a little time with my tools. Really pleased with the dragon. I also test carved some knives and fairly pleased though I have to tweak the guard. It was too thin and got some tear out. The dragon was carved at 6 1/2" tall and the knives at 7 1/2". They were carved at .25, 100, normal. I am using soft poplar so the detail is lost a little but with a decent hardwood the detail will pop out though the knives will have to be carved at a larger size for the font to stand out.

mtylerfl
04-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Yes, small fonts are challenging, whether raster or centerline. Not a whole lot you can do about that except avoid small lettering altogether and/or use bold sans serif fonts that aren't too deep. The 1/32" Carving Bit can help too, for raster letter carves. Plus...

You can often reduce chipout on thin parts (not just letters) by adding a Small Draft and using OPTIMAL for the carve quality setting (I know, I know, it takes forever to carve, but you can use it when necessary to avoid having to run the project all over again). The Small Draft setting matches the 1/16" or 1/32" Carving Bit angle of 7 degrees, so it allows the bit to "ride" over thin parts and edges a little more gently.

oscarl48
04-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Michael,

Thanks. Still unsure if I am throwing the knife into the pattern depot. The font at that size is iffy. The knife itself came out looking really sharp (pun) and I'm happy with the design. May be going into my personal library.

Family came over so my shop fun time was a bit short today. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish my mom's clock and I can work on a few other wood projects.

Too many projects and not enough time to design cool patterns for the pattern depot. :)

- O

mtylerfl
04-22-2017, 06:14 PM
I can relate to the "not enough time"! I would put the knife in the Depot, without the lettering. People can add lettering themselves, if they want to attempt it.

oscarl48
05-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Thought these two patterns would be a quick build so I could share but turned out I needed many hours instead of modeling and tweaking to finish them so putting them in the pattern depot. They look good visually but will try to test carve them this weekend sometime to validate.

P.S. (5/7/17) Did a test carve and no issues. As always, download trial pattern (try) before purchasing to make sure it will work for you.

oscarl48
05-18-2017, 08:35 PM
I'll test carve this one this weekend but visually looks good. Tested different size to see how the pattern holds up. 4", 6", 8".

For the blender users this was an exercise in curving a plane into a cylinder. It works really well and fairly fast.

P.S. 20 May 17 Test carved the patterns and they did well. The winged star needed a little tweak. I needed to move the circle higher to give the star a little bit more support to reduce tear out otherwise carved well.

rcdages
05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Out standing patterns.
You have hit the home run !!!!

oscarl48
06-09-2017, 07:39 PM
to pattern depot or not to pattern depot?

Alan Malmstrom
06-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Don't need a long answer but how do you do wings like that in blender.

oscarl48
06-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Alan, time consuming but not super hard. It consists of 6 distinct base feather models (simple geometry because the vertices number gets big quick) which I then copy and paste over and over again at different orientations and depths. One wing has over 100 separate elements.

Once all the elements are completed I join the separate elements to one object and I then sculpt the object until I am pleased by the results.

For a closer look the wing is now live in the pattern depot by itself. Its listed under hawk wing.

- O

Alan Malmstrom
06-09-2017, 11:52 PM
I've done a some work with blender. It would be hard to try and rotate all those feathers just right to fit in together. I've done a lot of wing stuff and was wondering how you did that.

My Carvewright Pattern Vendor Page: Pattern Depot Link (http://store.carvewright.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=50)
Artistic 3D Relief Work Web Site: www.cncproductionwork.com (http://www.cncproductionwork.com/)

dbemus
06-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Yes, Pattern Depot!!!

oscarl48
06-10-2017, 10:33 PM
I'm very happy with the pattern. It carved well and I think it looks good. The wife really liked it.

Perry, your cross projects inspired this one.

I'll cut it out tomorrow on the band saw. Carved in cherry and about 7x6 inches. I think a larger carving is warranted in a future time.

- O

rcdages
06-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Big thumbs up on the cross ptn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be buying one, for sure

rcdages
06-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Oscar,
Is it in the Pattern Depot now ??????????????????

Ducky63
06-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Well Robert I looked in the pattern depot and I didn't see the pattern.

oscarl48
06-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Robert, thanks. I just uploaded it for consideration. It usually takes a few days before its listed if they don't see any issues with the pattern.

For anyone looking to buy any of my patterns please try (download before buying) and see if it will work for you. Sometimes a picture doesn't show everything about the pattern. Try different sizes and carving depths to see if it will work for you.

On this pattern explicitly, a deeper carve is probably warranted but I do not know what that sweet spot is. My test carve was at .25 on draft and although it showed me no major issues with the pattern it probably didn't capture the right depth to bring out the best look for the final carve.

- O

oscarl48
07-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I am still tweaking this pattern a little but you should see it in the depot in the next few weeks.

P.S. had to render the model after tweaking. Fixed the rope looping in the wrong direction on the bottom and then raised the wings higher, didn't like it so lowered them back again. I'll test carve next weekend to see it looks.

oscarl48
07-07-2017, 10:12 PM
I am fairly confident the pattern is good so going for it in mahogany tomorrow. You get a feel on how a pattern will carve after a while. I am carving this for my daughter and her husband. They are both corpsmen in the Navy. She was rebelling against her dad and didn't join the Air Force. I commanded, "You will not join the Air Force until after you finish college!" so she joined the Navy instead. She didn't technically disobey me but still not happy.

I am still very proud of her even though she joined the one service that I have no clue what their dang ratings are. My first deployment was with two Navy guys, a ship driver (don't call them boats or its a fight) and a pilot. Awesome guys but still can't remember their ratings. I know their ranks.

oscarl48
07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
I am building a collection of clamps for the pattern depot. There will be 4 in the series. I have 3 done. Any suggestions for the 4th one. I was thinking maybe a cast iron pipe clamp but leaving it open for suggestions.

CarverJerry
07-20-2017, 08:25 PM
How about a parallel clamp? Goes well with wood working too.

oscarl48
07-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Jerry, thanks. Whipped one up fairly quick to finish out the collection. I'll try to test carve this weekend.

Mugsowner
07-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Looks great Oscar, would make awesome door fronts for a clamp cabinet.

oscarl48
07-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Mugs, thanks. I didn't have a chance to test carve them last weekend so hopefully this weekend I have time. Projects are starting to pile up and I don't seem to be getting ahead. I may power woodwork this weekend and hopefully finish one or two.

- O

oscarl48
01-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Its been a while. Created three new patterns for the store. An arrow head, leather hole punch tool, and battery powered drill.

Edit: 6 Jan 2018. I just submitted to the depot store so should be live in a week or two.

oscarl48
02-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Working on a few more patterns. Still working the grape vine pattern. A few minor tweaks and should be good. Plan to test carve this weekend if the weather holds. Right now thunderstorms are forecast for Saturday. Plan on making a few more blade and saw type patterns as well.

P.S. The jalapeno was actually a really simple pattern to make so sharing instead in the pattern sharing section. It carved really well in oak.

I also whipped up a vintage hand saw. I still have a little bit more sculpting to do on it but pretty happy with it. Not sure if I want to make it fancy with carvings on the handle. I'll keep playing with and see what evolves. Nothing planned but to see what causality chaos creates.

P.P.S. Did a test carve this morning. They look good so will be posting to the pattern depot tomorrow. The carve is in poplar so not a lot of sharp edges but didn't get any tear out with small draft applied with the exception of one tooth on the table saw blade. The carving was 3.7 inches so shouldn't be a concern if carved a little bit larger. My default is usually 6 inches. There will be two versions. One with an arbor hole and one with out if text or graphics need to be inserted on the face.

oscarl48
07-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Been a few months since posting anything on the pattern depot so posting this bunch after test carving.

The machine pistol is an older model but it was more of a practice piece and don't have much use in my personal library so here it goes.

Edit. Quick test carve. They look good except the cigar cutter. Got some tear out when I went to do a quick sanding. Its poplar so really soft. I went back into the pattern and thickened the walls so there is less chance of that happening. If anyone does carve it recommend using some draft. Should not be an issue with harder lumber or if carved shallower.

oscarl48
07-27-2018, 08:31 PM
I am going to try to design a few more patterns. I'll probably do a few before doing a test carve but here is the first one. In addition, I am planning to do several different trailers for the semi truck.

dbemus
07-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Oscarl48

Fantastic work on the semi truck!!!

oscarl48
07-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Thank you. Hopefully I can build a few decent patterns for the depot store.

Edit: Here is one with the trailer added.

oscarl48
08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
It finally wasn't 1000 degrees in my garage and had a chance to test carve the patterns. Pretty happy with the results.

dbemus
08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
0scarl48

Great work!!! Details nicely executed!

Mugsowner
08-13-2018, 06:10 PM
Patterns look great again, but had no doubts on this end. The wood looks to be poplar, if I'm guessing correctly.

oscarl48
08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Mugsowner, dbemus, Thanks :).

It is poplar. Really soft but cheap for test carves.

judgejrt
08-13-2018, 09:30 PM
excellent job! will be purchasing cigar cutter soon

oscarl48
08-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Awesome and appreciate the purchase. :)

Make sure to download as a try first to make sure it works for you and if carving on softer wood, add some draft to minimize possible tear out.

oscarl48
09-26-2018, 07:28 AM
I am going to try to make a few more patterns. Feels like my pattern making and woodworking have slowed down. Too many irons in the fire.

But here is a pattern I will be test carving this weekend. It is based on the church window in the Church of our Lady of the Holy Cross of Menilmontant located in France.

want2b
09-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Interesting pattern, might be something that could be used in a lithophane. Either with painted areas or colored LED's . Being backlit should make it pop.
Thx for sharing, let us see a finished project.
Rick H

oscarl48
09-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Rick, that is a cool idea. I plan on making a series of patterns based on historical church windows and they may look really cool as a lithos series. Might have to order some corian.

Oscar

oscarl48
10-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Finally got to test carving the patterns I had on my to test list.

The test board is 7x12 for sense of size. No tear out on the church window at .25 depth, 100 height, no draft, carving normal. So really happy with the carve.

No issues with any of the other patterns either.

I've started building Family Crest elements. The sword and helmet at the ones I will be going with. Still not happy with the shield design I want to use and what decorative embellishments I want.

These patterns will be submitted today and hopefully live in a week or two at the latest.

dbemus
10-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Really impressive carving! Nicely balanced layout!

oscarl48
10-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Thank you. Always fun to get into the workshop.

oscarl48
11-12-2018, 08:33 AM
some medieval and modern hand weapons. I still have to test carve at some point in the future.

oscarl48
01-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Finally had a chance to do some test carves. Submitted to the store for acceptance for the depot.

I was not happy with the ornamental shield so will throw into my personal library instead. Also submitted some other patterns I have previously carved for personal projects. The scrap poplar was a little different in size than I remembered so rearranged the patterns for the test carve but didn't update the picture but the same patterns.

If accepted they should go live in a week or two.

As with all my patterns, prior to purchase please download the "Try" version to see if they will work for you.

Post Script: The folks are CW have generously approved the patterns and are now live at the depot.

oscarl48
04-05-2019, 06:56 PM
New batch of patterns just uploaded to the store. Should go live in a week or two normally. The test carve was done on 7"x12" poplar board at .25 depth and normal quality. No sanding other than knocking off a few fuzzies.

oscarl48
10-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Another batch going into the depot.

Test carve done on a 7x15 in poplar board for reference. I did have some tear out on the hand grenade pull ring so made it thicker. Should reduce tear out but recommend adding some draft.

fwharris
10-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Nice looking set!

mtylerfl
10-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Lookin' good, Oscar.

oscarl48
10-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you. They were lot of fun to make. The truck was actually a model for an art contest I just entered but I think it came out really well.

I'll post of the first version image that I submitted in the 3rd party software section. I submitted a second version but it hasn't been approved yet so won't share yet.

oscarl48
05-18-2020, 07:53 AM
I want to start making new patterns for the depot. I revisited the growling bulldog and re-did it where I am comfortable posting in the store as mine. I'll say its inspired by the 2d bulldog found online. I am also working on a stylized hunting owl. I'll try to test carve it soon but looks like my table saw is again acting up. I got a lemon Delta saw (about 4 years old but its never ran well). I'm going to try and replace the start and run capacitors and see if that does anything otherwise time for a new saw.

oscarl48
05-22-2020, 02:50 PM
The barn owl carved well. From the test carve I redid the eyes a little bit to bring out the detail a little bit more and reduced the height of the talons a snippet. Otherwise very happy with the carve.

The bulldog I had previously carved so was happy with the overall dimensions.

I just submitted them to the depot so hopefully live in a week or two.

dbemus
05-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Nice work on the Barn Owl! I will be watching for it in the Pattern Depot!

oscarl48
05-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Thank you. Make sure to download the try version to see if it works for you.

oscarl48
06-08-2020, 08:56 AM
I've been modeling a lot. Once my DC unit comes in I'll test carve some of these recent patterns I've made. Some will be going into the pattern depot.

dbemus
06-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Beautiful work oscar!

oscarl48
06-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Thank you. I finally got a few test carved. Happy with all of them so far.

The viking longboat dragon figurehead was carved in cedar with final dimensions ~7.5" high x 5" wide x 1.5" deep (2 mirrored patterns glued together).

The bear totem pattern I carved at ~7" x 7"x .4". The pattern carved much better than I thought it would at that depth. I did break a bear fang off when I tried to undercut with a chisel. Poplar not a good lumber to try that on a small piece. A Dremel would probably be a better choice for the undercut.

The rest were just test carved at .25" depth in poplar to ensure the depth details were good.

Mugsowner
06-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Again nice work Oscar

oscarl48
06-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Thank you. Finally got the last patterns test carved. Again poplar and both patterns together at 7" x 5" x .35".

I'll submit the patterns for assessment sometime this weekend to the pattern depot. I liked most of them. Not happy with the bear. Don't like the fur so will keep working on it. The gorilla bust is also a little flat so not sure. I like the gorilla at the door version.

oscarl48
11-16-2021, 09:33 PM
Its been a while but I am going to start putting patterns into the pattern store. Here are some of the patterns I have made and will submit by this weekend.

want2b
11-17-2021, 05:16 AM
Looks like you've been busy. They look good, interesting variety, obvious that you have a wide field of interest.
Rick H