PDA

View Full Version : How to put multiple plackards on a single board

kcc2012
03-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Hello. I know this may sound elementary but I'm drawing a blank. I was just contacted by a business owner in Arizona who would like me to bid for a project. He's deals with plants and doing a design where he needs 200 signs. all of the 3x10 with a routed out groove on the back to attach a metal stake which will be flush to the sign. I made a template for one sign with both centerline letters and raster so he can choose one.
Making each individual sign is fine but Im drawing a blank on how to make multiple signs on a larger board lets say a 10X30or even larger 10X60. that size doesn't actually matter Im just trying to figure out how to do as many as I can on a single board so I can save on materials. I would hate to have to carve 200 17x4 boards if I don't have to.
I may have to board size listed backwards if I do I apologize.

Thank you
Ambrose.

bergerud
03-23-2016, 05:29 PM
I do not understand the problem. Just copy and paste the sign along the board? Maybe if you post an attempt, it will make more sense to me.

lynnfrwd
03-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Copy and Paste?

DickB
03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
I agree with copy and paste, but if you need a 17 x 4 board for a 3 x 10 project, it tells me you are not using a sled or jig. You should consider it. You will save a lot of material, especially with a multiples project such as yours, and there are other advantages. I use a sled for nearly all my projects.

As bergerud said, post your mpc or a screen shot to help get better suggestions.

fwharris
03-23-2016, 09:32 PM
I agree with copy and paste, but if you need a 17 x 4 board for a 3 x 10 project, it tells me you are not using a sled or jig. You should consider it. You will save a lot of material, especially with a multiples project such as yours, and there are other advantages. I use a sled for nearly all my projects.

As bergerud said, post your mpc or a screen shot to help get better suggestions.

Great idea! While on is carving you can be detailing the others. Less tracking issues as well.

kcc2012
03-23-2016, 10:24 PM
There may not be a problem but I just cant wrap my head around the issue. I have 200 placards to make they are all different as far as the names go but the same other wise. The way ive done a couple signs in the past was to have the project board to be an inch less then the board im carving as well as the overall length and everything came out right but I was only making one placard on one board. I was hoping that I could get as many as I could on a board and instead of having to reload the board 200 times I could cut that down. But im drawing a blank on how to set that up on a board.

I do not understand the problem. Just copy and paste the sign along the board? Maybe if you post an attempt, it will make more sense to me.

DickB
03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Post an example mpc.

kcc2012
03-23-2016, 10:32 PM
80382 Heres a sample of what im attempting but I have to do this 200 times with each placard having a different plant name. I realize I could very well be making this more difficult then what it should be but Im drawing a complete blank.

DickB
03-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Do you want the Carvewright to cut individual placards for you, or would you do that with a saw?

kcc2012
03-23-2016, 10:37 PM
I was considering the use of a sled as well which if I have to end up doing them one at a time that is probably the way I will go. Its such a simple placard but something is just not clicking for me and maybe I just forgot how to use the carvewright since I've been carving mostly Icons.

kcc2012
03-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Considering the shere volume I have to make I was hoping to have the carvewright do the cutting. All I have are hand saws and one battery operated circular saw.

Do you want the Carvewright to cut individual placards for you, or would you do that with a saw?

bergerud
03-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Post an example and we will figure out a way.

DickB
03-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Lots of ways to do this, but this is one way taking into account the tools that you have on hand. I laid this out so that a sled is not required, but I would actually still recommend a sled and lay it out a bit differently so you could have virtually no waste. I just used snap to grid with .5" grid lines to do this. I did not use cutout so that the individual placards could be butted one against the other. I used the 1/8" cutting bit and left my own tabs to hold the parts in place. You could easily cut the tabs with a hand saw. I did not take into account the width of the cutting bit, so the placards are a bit undersized, but the lines could be moved to get exactly 3 x 10 if that is important. Also it this mpc does violate the 7" rule by 1/16" but again that can be altered fairly easily. I did not change the text but I'm sure you can do that.

If you are using standard size lumber there may be other ways to lay this out to minimize waste. Let us know what size stock you have available.

Hope this helps. If not, let us know.

(Others please note this is a 2-sided operation and Designer 1.)

80383 80384

fwharris
03-24-2016, 12:06 AM
How I would set this up for multi carvings in a sled. It can be set up to do as many in a set as you feel comfortable with. Shorter in length carve runs will better and easier to set up tracking versus the time and set up of out feed supports.

This one is set up for doing 9 at a time and cutting the back side and cutting the fronts like DickB set it up. It can be expanded to how many you want in X 3s.

For the text I just copied and pasted it for 9 on the board. In the MPC you will see I grouped it into sets for ease of alignment. To change/edit for the 100 you have to make, just select the text and then do an edit to change the names. This allows you to keep the same sized text for each one.

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2016, 12:50 PM
I think if I were doing this in your case... I would "Phone a Friend"..... One of your friends must have a Table Saw.... I would cut the blanks and using a sled that has side rails like the picture, place the blanks to only cut the text. I would use the drill hole function to drill a 1/8th inch hole in the sled rails to mark the placement of the blanks. In theory you could make a sled to hold 10 blanks. Just use tape to hold the blank to the side rail that is the same height as the blank.

AL