PDA

View Full Version : Bit not carving deep enough

cjudas
03-22-2016, 01:38 PM
I carved this a few days ago for a neighbor and I'm not sure what went wrong. I used a 60' bit on oak and it barely scratched the surface of the board. Usually it is quite a bit deeper. I'm sure there is an easy fix but not sure what it is.

bergerud
03-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Did you watch to make sure the bit actually touched the board surface? With a short bit, the z truck moves down to a lower position on the z rails. If the z rails give some resistance, the machine might think it touched when it actually did not.

Digitalwoodshop
03-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Did you watch to make sure the bit actually touched the board surface? With a short bit, the z truck moves down to a lower position on the z rails. If the z rails give some resistance, the machine might think it touched when it actually did not.

That is the Most correct answer.

I just wanted to add that if you are trying to put V60 text in a recess carved area you need to buy the software to let you do that... Otherwise it is just like said above, the dirty rails caused the bit to stop SHORT of the bit plate thinking it bumped into the bit plate but did not... Hence a "Air Carve".

AL

cjudas
03-22-2016, 02:38 PM
It's not carved in a recessed area but I also didn't watch to make sure the bit touched down either. I will make sure everything is cleaned off and try to re-carve it. Thanks for the help.

Sliverfoot
03-23-2016, 09:31 AM
I had a similar problem a while back.
I chased it trying different things but eventually contacted LHR. The first thing Connie asked me to do was make a small test carve. Just a 1 inch square 1/4 deep. Then physically measure the depth of the cut to verify you're actually getting a 1/4 deep cut. I wasn't, it wasn't off by much but just enough. They sent me a patch and it worked like a dream.
Might be worth a try.

cestout
03-26-2016, 03:12 PM
I was working on a award for a customer and used the default font in a test carve and it carved too shallow, changed to Ariel font and the award is in the mail should arrive Monday. Try a different font and also add "Bold"
Clint