PDA

View Full Version : Preserving acrylic paints

dehrlich
03-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Wondering if anyone has a magic formula for preserving the little bottles of acrylic paint. I know they don't cost that much but once you build up a collection of colors they add up. As everyone probably knows, it only take a few months before the skin over and get all clumpy, basically worthless. Even the ones I use most often will do this. Appreciate any advice.

CarverJerry
03-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Try replacing the air in the container by using compressed air from one of those cans of duster, for blowing out keyboards. It's not just air and seems to help, I don't know if it CO2 or what. What I do is stick the tube in the can with the lid cracked a little and let it blow in for a few seconds, pending on the size of the can that has the (bad) air. Hope this makes sense.

lawrence
03-15-2016, 02:22 PM
What Jerry Said- or another way is to remove the air by squeezing the tube a bit to get all the air out before you put the cap back on... either way works to keep oxygen from starting the process of hardening the paint.

Hope this helps,
Lawrence

fwharris
03-15-2016, 07:43 PM
You could also store the bottles upside down....

Mugsowner
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
The stuff in the duster can is nitrogen. It contains no moisture, which makes it a great computer cleaning.