PDA

View Full Version : Controler Problems

Merlin
03-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello All:

I have blown two controllers and before going for a third I am looking to see if there is a short causing the high voltage to be where the low voltage should be. If anyone has any suggestions on where to search I would appreciate the assistance. there are lots of little wires, and this could be a long process. can anyone tell me what the power voltages that should be going from the power pack to the controller. I have four wires, red two black and a yellow.

Many thanks

Digitalwoodshop
03-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Another user has had a problem blowing Memory Cards and sent His machine in. Don't have the final on what was happening but the User was turning on the machine then pushing in the memory card and also pulling it out under power... both a no no.....

Have you checked the power outlet to be sure it is not wired backwards.... black to white and white to black?

I would replace the power supply WITH the next computer...

Do you use a Vacuum Cleaner to clean the machine...? The sawdust moving through the hose generates a HIGH VOLTAGE STATIC Charge that is known to BLOW the computer....

AL

want2b
03-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Don't know how badly it could affect the Carver but I lost several items due to a high line voltage, fortunately I hadn't used
my carver. They had replaced the transformer on the pole feeding my house and I found I had 130v coming in. Just one more
thing to check before plugging in again.
Rick H

Mugsowner
03-13-2016, 07:13 AM
There is a cheap tester on the market. It is a small unit with indicators on the back that plugs into the outlet and will tell you if it is wired correctly by the indicator lights on the back.

Merlin
03-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Good Morning All, and thanks for your direction:

I have two carvewright machines and use the same power source so I expect all is ok as one works fine and the other has this problem.

I use a dust collection system for both of my machines so I really don't expect it is static from that. The second controller blew almost immediately when I replaced the first one so it seems that it must be a short or a bad power supply.

My incoming voltage is 119v at the switch. I am looking for the voltages that should be coming off of the power supply going to the controller. I really do not see anything wrong with any wires which would cause a short but still looking.

I have taken the cut motor out and cleaned it inside and out, and verified that it runs fine by sending 120v directly to the motor and seeing it work.

thanks for all your assistance so far, hopefully something will be found.

thanks

Merlin
03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Hi Everyone:

I think I may have narrowed it down to the power supply. The DC power supply has four wires. The red one is carrying 5V and the yellow one does not seem like it has any voltage, or it is dead shorted out somewhere. Going to be contacting LHR tomorrow to see if this could be the cause. I really do not want to take my other machine apart as it is busy and this would require some time to verify these results.

Will post further outcome as available.

thanks

bergerud
03-13-2016, 12:33 PM
The yellow wire should be 24V. I do not know why not having the 24V servo power would blow the controller. Maybe it would or maybe there is something else also wrong.

(With the power off, I measure 3K ohms between a black and the yellow with the plug in and 3.5K ohms with the plug out.)

Merlin
03-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Bergerud:

When you say with the plug in and the plug out is that the power plug or the plug into the controller??
i do not get a solid reading between the yellow and a black, my meter reads a dropping value and does not seem to stop moving. My controller is blown and at LHR right now.

I do get 3.5k ohms on the the red and the black.

bergerud
03-13-2016, 04:57 PM
The plug to the controller. I measure 3.5K when the controller and power supply are connected. 3K when I measure just the resistance of the controller. The readings do change. I wait for them to settle down. (Probably charging a capacitor.)

Edit: It sounds like we are measuring different things since your controller is gone.

Merlin
03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
I was measuring at the end of the power cable that would plug into the the controller.. So backwards towards the power supply..

bergerud
03-14-2016, 03:37 PM
I guess the test does not determine anything since your controller is gone. We already know the power supply is toast since there is no 24V.

Merlin
03-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Bergerud:

I have been speaking with the folks at LHR and they advise that the 24V may not be present if it is not under a load.

Not sure what they mean, but thats what I was told..

Waiting for more direction from them at this time....

bergerud
03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Well, I would not have believed it, but it is true. I unplugged the controller from the power supply and the 24V dropped to 0 (the 5V was still there). So, your power supply may be ok. I was wrong to think that it was toast just because there was not 24V on the pin.