PDA

View Full Version : Chief's Creed

flyingemt
03-07-2016, 11:08 PM
All,

I am making a special gift for a friend who is achieving a great goal, making Chief Master Sergeant in the USAF.

Here is my issue, based upon the text of the "creed," it will wind up being 20'ish inches wide.

Using 60 degree V bit and centerline for the text. The smallest font size is at 32.

I would like to narrow the length if possible, but I dont want to sacrifice readability.

Any suggestions? mpc is attached.

Mike80248

sunmiztres
03-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Looks real good to me. The smallest font being 32 is still pretty large font. I have carved using centerline with ten as the font, and it was readable but not from a long distance. It depends on how far away you want to read it. It is clear at a ten font so you could probably make the smallest font 20 and still be able to read from a distance. Great job.

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Don't forget about trying an experiment with Outline Mode... Pick a end mill with a bottom cutter in 1/4, 3/8. 1/2 and try the font to size on a board .1 deep. Since it goes around the font you need to pick a bit that cleans out the center of the letter but not too big. As you make the font bigger, you pick a bigger bit.

I use a font called Modern that is a SINGLE STROKE font and it looks like it was done with the plastic letter hand router guide.

AL

cestout
03-09-2016, 06:36 PM
If you stain it the lettering will show up better. The stain gets into the end grain of the carved letters. Even "Natural" stain will help.
Clint