PDA

View Full Version : Amulet contest

oscarl48
03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Its been fairly quite on here so how about another contest. I will design and carve out 2-4 amulets based on a design/theme that will be picked by you. Something again in line with wearable projects.

I am placing the following limitations:

1. The patterns will be developed using the 1/6 carving bit and 1/8 cutting bit only.

2. The max size on the patterns will be 4" x 3" for wearability.

You can choose any theme or specific design. The top theme or specific design with the most votes by the end of Friday will be used to develop the patterns.

(examples: Celtic cross or Egyptian cartouche.)

normrichards
03-07-2016, 08:25 PM
80247This may not be what you had in mind but I think this would be so cool, No need to have the year, just the logo as an amulet.

oscarl48
03-07-2016, 10:14 PM
If that's what wins. I already have some pretty cool ideas on how to make it.

oscarl48
03-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Steve, very nice. Was that all done with designer?

oscarl48
03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
How about a maori design?

Steve here is a quick pendant design. I cheated. The blender software has an add-on to do gem stones. So its a hit a button and you are done type of design.

Here is also a quick batman superman pendant.

oscarl48
03-08-2016, 10:28 PM
A quick maori turtle design. 4" tall.

oscarl48
03-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Steve, Very nice. Little jealous of your Aspire software. I keep eyeballing it but I just can't justify the 2000.00 bill when I have blender. Blender is not as user friendly and some modeling is just painful but in the end IF I can get my skill level high enough with it I should be able to do most everything on it. Though Aspire, Zbrush, Maya, and the rest of the 3d modeling tools do leave me drooling a little bit.

I think the contest is a bust so here is another pattern for a Maori hook pendant.

oscarl48
03-09-2016, 09:21 AM
We have a rain day in North Louisiana. Its been raining cats and dogs plus horses, cows and any other animal you can name.

So playing with some of my software tools. Went into CorelDraw. Drew a straight line. Applied a brush stroke to it. Used the swirl command to swirl the line. Exported to blender as a svg. Converted it to a mesh. Added an oval disk to the model. Subdivided the mesh for a denser mesh. Exported as an stl to designer. Blurred it a bit using the pattern editor and we now have a swirl pendant. About a 5 min exercise.

kind of a primitive rune stone design.

oscarl48
03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Another version. Applied a stone texture to the 3d model and then ported to CW. Here is the difference in look.

oscarl48
03-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Here is a blank drop fang primitive amulet for a canvas. The pattern is blank so you can add your own initials or rune.

Including a picture of all the little do dads I've built this morning. Most are primitives within blender so they are a one command to create patterns.

oscarl48
03-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Another quick variation. This one may be fun to carve out. If it isn't raining this weekend I may try this in oak and purple heart.

normrichards
03-09-2016, 12:29 PM
How about a maori design?

Steve here is a quick pendant design. I cheated. The blender software has an add-on to do gem stones. So its a hit a button and you are done type of design.

Here is also a quick batman superman pendant.

Thanks! Cant wait to carve the batman, superman, probably can't get to it for a few weeks though.

oscarl48
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Let us know how it comes out. The pattern wasn't as clean as I had hoped but didn't want to restart again. I messed up the first time and failed to save in a timely manner so lost the first effort after my computer froze.

oscarl48
03-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Didn't quite get the depth right but laminated some padauk on some cherry. Tried to get the height where only the lizard would be padauk. I went a little too deep but still worked as a concept carving.