PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Outline and cut-out

DocWheeler
03-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I hesitate to ask this because it has probably been asked before, but I can not find it anywhere.

I borrowed and modified a nice pattern from this forum, now I find that I lack too much experience to complete it.

I'm using 1.120 and trying to get the carving cut out.

I also wanted to know if there is a way to change the board size without changing the carving itself (I made the carving smaller than it was originally).
If I just change the board size, the carving goes crazy. I know that I could recreate it, but there must be a simplier way!

Please look at my groupings (or lack there-of) and explain the errors of my ways in trying to get the "Cut Path" to be selectable.

rgant05
03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Doc,

I looked at what you had and tried a few thing (not being proficient at cutting out things)

1)Select all items in the group that you have set up containing the decorative "stuff"
2)Select the outline tool from the tool bar
**this creates 2 different outlines... and inside and outside**
3)Select the inside path and delete it
4)Select the outside path that was created and the cut tool should now be available

Note: most of the selection is easier using the Carving List

rgant05
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know what is going on with the changing of the board size. I thouhgt at first it was because the items were attached (by default) to the edge of the board. However I change the attachment to the centerline and locked both horz and vert attachment and distance constraints and changing the board size still makes it go wild. I think it has something to do with the way the project was originally designed using mirror and flip options, although I don't understand why it is acting this way. I have changed board sizes on other projects and the design remained unaffected. So, I will let one of the more experience guy or gal handle this issue LOL

DocWheeler
03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for looking at it. I was out buying some "tree-parts" for the project.
I had changed board sizes without the problem myself, didn't know if it had to be grouped differently or not.
As for the cut out part, where did you get the info to figure out what needed to be done? I thought I understood what I read!

rgant05
03-17-2007, 04:41 PM
WHERE??? you ask WHERE?? LOL Well, I just tried to start with some logic as to what I wanted to accomplish then from there flew by the seat of my pants as they say. I knew I wanted an outline around the whole thing in order to give it a path to cut, so I selected all the objects that I wanted to outline. Each one could be selected and an outline made for it, so I tried selecting them all, then making an outline. What came up was an outline for both the inner perimeter and the outer perimeter. (they showed up as a two different paths in the carving list to the left (need to open the carving list if it isn't already). I knew I only wanted the outside path, so selected the inside path from the list and deleted it. Next selected the outside path and the cut path tool was then enabled.... selected it and flipped the cut so it would be on the outside of the line instead of the inside. There may be some instructions in the software users manual that helps a little bit (which is also available via the help option on the pull down menu.) However, I am not real big on manuals, so if I have any idea of what I am trying to do, I usually try a few things.... sometimes many before I resort to the manuals. You'd be surprised some of the many little techniques you discover and learn by doing it that way. I just rely on the backup button a lot to undo the things I try that don't work.

Roger

DocWheeler
03-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Roger,

I'm no stranger to "I wonder what this does?" and "dumb luck", but I do not recall the "outline" being available with what I had selected - just tried it out again and found that if the Text was selected, the option was not active - that must have been what I did.

I accidently discovered something while playing with the software. While over in the left panel and I highlight the top item in the bottom group and then move my cursor below the bottom item, I can get the whole group highlighted without the need of pressing any keys - another one of those "I wonder wh..."

Ken

rgant05
03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
I looked at it again also. You can select and outline text, but it is the regions that you created for the carve reagion around the letters that you can not outline. Bottom line if you just selected everything with the square selection tool it is not available because "everything" contains the three regions. Thats where the cut list allows you to select just what you need. Gee, I like learning by trial and error :)