PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to help someone with cut motor issue

Mikewiz
03-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Hey,

Yesterday I tried to run a project and the cut motor would not spin. It went through all the motions but when it was time for the carving to start the motor would not spin and it would ask to "check cut motor". I tried several times same results, so I went on forum to see how to troubleshoot. I first checked the X termination board for burnt components and everything was fine. Next I removed the top brush from the motor and found that the spring was in pieces so I removed the motor to check the bottom one and it was fine. So I assume this is my problem. It stinks because my motor only has 169 hrs and the brushes still have life on them but glad it's not something worse. I ordered a new set and will confirm this is the problem when I receive the new brushes, but pretty sure this is my problem. Hope this helps someone troubleshoot their motor.

myshop1044
03-04-2016, 07:23 PM
The first test I would try would be a "cut motor test" , if it does not turn, lift the cover, depress the left switch and at the same time depress the right cut motor switch a few times, try a little wd40 on the switch. This may be the answer.
good luck.

bergerud
03-04-2016, 09:23 PM
You should look closely at the brass slots that the brushes ride in. Check for signs of heat. (Possibly some melting of the surrounding casing as well.) The spring may have been damaged due to having to pass current to the brush. Make sure the brass slots are shiny. If the brass is oxidized, the new brushes may suffer the same fate.

Mikewiz
03-05-2016, 08:23 AM
hey Bergerud,

You were right I have melting around the brass slot and a small amount of oxidation. Attached is a picture. Is there something I can do to insure this doesn't happen again or is it something more serious. 80218

bergerud
03-05-2016, 09:03 AM
If only one brush got hot, it was probably just poor conduction between the brass and the brush. It would be hard to say what originally caused that. It could be a poor connection inside where the wire clips onto the brass brush holder. You should take the motor apart and have a good look at it all.

Mikewiz
03-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Hey Bergerud,

I took the motor apart and all connections looked good. I did find a lot of saw dust and corian dust which I blew out with air. I do have a dust collector similar to the ringneck blues that I made myself. I've only had it a year before that I had a downdraft system I made myself also. Do you think the saw dust could have something to do with it?

bergerud
03-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Sure, anything that would make the motor run hot could be the cause.

Mikewiz
03-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Hey,

Got my brushes yesterday and installed them. Ran a cut motor test and it is working. Thanks for the help bergerud.