PDA

View Full Version : Picked up machine last night, 2 runs = death

Gman_Ind
03-17-2007, 12:20 PM
I just picked my machine from Sears Friday 3-15-07 ran home read quick start guide and played with controller interface, all was good. I read the manual before even deciding to buy the machine.
I shut it off pulled the card went and installed software on my new PC, registered. all good still. grabbed a piece of maple out of scrap box measured for test program.
I made a simple design, formated card, saved to card, no issues, I added lettering saved under different name. now 2 files on card all good. put card in machine fired it up loaded second program, followed prompts said yes to stay under rollers, oops. No real problem but I learned that shrinks the design to fit a small safe area on the board.
I let it cut the vectors and lettering all went fine. I flipped the still flat board over and ran it again without the under rollers setting, it looked great. I even tried using different cutters, what a pain. so I made a more complex but small carving using the stock figures and left the edges solid for the rollers.
I set it up with the vacuum this time to collect what should be a lot more chips. I loaded the wood and design and let it go. I watched for a minute then went back tp PC for the next design to try. 5? minutes later it quit. the vacuum was still running so I know it had power but it looked like it had no power. nothing, no sound no indicator, nada. I double checked the outlet and then toggled the switch (fingers crossed) no luck I grabbed teh card and hit the forum, I checked the card and an error was on the card so I formatted it again and exported the same file back onto it. it looks fine on the card no errors. put back in machine, fingers and toes crossed, power on, nope still dead. :(
From reading the forum it probably is power supply the cols look solid but the large capacitor might be a bit swollen/failed. easy fix if CW can swap me a board.
BUT if it was static buildup what would have been hurt? the controller? if so should there be some flash on the screen or a sound or an error? I checked and I have 110v to and from the switch. I pulled the cover, and bottom cover I looked over the cables gave standard wiggle test and none were loose. the front panel cable is tight, I sent email to CW help and will call the helpful tech guy ;) Monday. (incoming Chris!) I am slightly bummed.
Good news I pre-ordered extra bits and a probe and I am still waiting for the probe but I received the bits.

rgant05
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I know the feeling Gman, I had a different problem (bit holder) that gave me about 2 minutes of run time before I sent my machine back. Makes you wonder whether to send the machine back for repair or take it back for exchange. I vote for repair, that way the issue is resolved. I feel it is better than to roll the dice for a possible other problem of infant mortality. I really question sometimes the Quality Control proceedures in China. There is another guy that has posted just the last day or two on this same (or at least it sound like it) issue and same symptoms. His y-axis truck had some resistance to moving that it didn't have before. I don't know which way to point you other than to call CW. They will get you fixed. I know its a major bummer, but don't give up.... its worth the wait.

Gman_Ind
03-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I will try to get just the correct parts sent to me. I am a former Dodge owner so I have revived dead equipment on way too many occasions. I say fix it, heck I will fix it myself if I can figure out if it is just a power supply or if static fried the controller?? Either way I am willing to swap the parts and save shipping hassle. The (UPS) delivery guys toss my heavy stuff a bit too hard in this area so I prefer just sending the well wrapped boards or smaller parts.
I am mostly venting/sharing here. I am now waiting impatiently for Monday, that itself seems so wrong.
If someone knows more about static and vacuums or power supply issue I read GIZ's thread but I don't have that issue. Send me the link I have read many posts and searched for over an hour late last night. my tired eyes probably missed something.

liquidguitars
03-17-2007, 01:20 PM
set it up with the vacuum this time to collect what should be a lot more chips.

This is a prob with voltage and shock I think, I have my carvewright sitting on a cart that lets the sawdust fall down and out the bottom. We never run a vacuum cleaner on the unit, I use an air hose. I also try to turn off the CW before I remove the smartcard.

On the forum someone repaired the power supply it had a loose wire and just needed re soldering if you like..

Lig

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Where did you hook the vacuum? To the area where the dust sock went?

Sorry to hear about your unit. Sounds like a Static Kill to me too.

I bet if the unit had a 3 wire power plug and the major parts were shielded and grounded this would not have happened.

One guy here is with the UL and said the unit needed to be a 2 wire unit for some reason???

Good Luck,

Keep us updated

AL

Gman_Ind
03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I pulled the sock filter off and my shopvac hose plugged right in. it is all plastic around this area I can't imagine how a charge from this location might have discharged into the controller on the base of the machine?

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
It followed the wires most likely.

Bummer...

AL

liquidguitars
03-17-2007, 08:41 PM
it is all plastic around this area I can't imagine how a charge from this location might have discharged into the controller

Using pcv pipe in a dust colector is a bad idea unless you ground it.
so even the unit can be grounded but the pipe will need it also..

Lig

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Well I decided heck with it and took it back today, another is scheduled to be in store 21st so add a week on that and I will have CC# 2 to try. I am serious about using this and the first 2 runs gave me an idea how easy this is to run. BTW Linda at Sears indicated they will have 1/16 carving 1/8" and 1/4 " cutting bits in stock soon.
next time it is going to sit on a downdraft table run from the central duct collector. I have an empty base cabinet I got for free so I will turn it into a dedicated carving stand.
Happy carving!

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Ok I am excited. I received the replacement CC last night and I put the project that was in the last machine when it died and re-ran it without any issue. This is amazing I watched it cut the air where the initial run was then it continued and finished the project without a glitch.m there is not even a leave -off line. I am impressed anyway.
BTW the new one seems to be slightly different than the last one, even though I did not get much time to familiar with the first machine the truck seems different somehow. I hope it is new and improved?

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Great to hear your back to chippin'. Mines due on Tues. Hope I'm as lucky.

dreisig
03-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Mine arrived at Sears yesterday. I picked it up today. Set it up, loaded a project into the card. turned on the machine and selected the project. Machine measured the board, homed the head, lowered the bit to the wood, and returned a 'Z axis stall error 246'. I checked the usage meter, and it says over two hours time is logged already. "New" machine from Sears?? I guess I start the 'long road to repair' already!

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 04:29 PM
dre,
Do a search for Z-axis stall. There are many posts regarding this problem and several fixes that have worked for others.

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Make sure you place your board guide next to the board. The bit will go over and touch the bar to get a depth check. Could be some of the Z faults are this.... Bar missing, bit goes too deep.

AL

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Both of my machines had 20 minutes on them when I first looked at the time 'odometer'

rjp736
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
WOO HOO. My Z Motor board arrived in the mail today. With any luck I'll be filling my workshop with chips and dust in the morning. I feel like an addict that needs his fix.

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I know that feeling. And I haven't even touched the machine yet.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I have been running mine since I got it running this morning, I just made some light switch covers check this (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2952) thread for what I have been making. I am very stoked, this is addicting.

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I downloaded that file a while ago and all I can see is a blank switchplate. Is supposed to be a carving on that plate?

Gman_Ind
04-01-2007, 12:18 AM
One is just a blank, the skully.mpc is the skull light plate. The fancy1 is stock patterns put on the blank. I fixed the fancy one after it was posted I like it better with the center region carved out .25 so it is flat where the switch pokes through. Tomorrow I will layout the outlet plate so I can get this room finished.