PDA

View Full Version : pierced pattern not piercing

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 07:24 PM
I just carved a 2" deep pattern with the 1/8" long bit... in the program you can see that it is pierced on the back of the board, but when it carves it is about 1/4" from the back... anyone know how I can get it to cut through?

bergerud
02-24-2016, 07:56 PM
It would help if you could post the mpc.

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 08:03 PM
It would help if you could post the mpc.

here is the file

fwharris
02-24-2016, 08:08 PM
MPC looks ok. Did you have your board in a sled/jig and if so when the machine was finding the surface did it touch on the sled or the board? If on the sled is that surface higher than the board?

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 08:23 PM
MPC looks ok. Did you have your board in a sled/jig and if so when the machine was finding the surface did it touch on the sled or the board? If on the sled is that surface higher than the board?

I did have it in the UCB, the board was higher then the edge of the sled by about a 1/4... I jogged to touch and watched it touch the board...

fwharris
02-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Trying to think about how the pierced carve start up routine goes, does it also check the board thickness by touching on the sliding plate and far board surface? I think it does..

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Trying to think about how the pierced carve start up routine goes, does it also check the board thickness by touching on the sliding plate and far board surface? I think it does..

it does some up and downs before it finds the surface, but with the long bit it does not go to the sliding plate...

bergerud
02-24-2016, 09:01 PM
I think it could have to do with bit optimization. I make pierced outlines when I do things like this. Look at the third owl.

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 09:09 PM
I think it could have to do with bit optimization. I make pierced outlines when I do things like this. Look at the third owl.

It won't let me open it... I have designer 2.007
how do I do a pierced outline?

bergerud
02-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Try this. I use outline and then path offset to create a slightly bigger flat carve region.

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Try this. I use outline and then path offset to create a slightly bigger flat carve region.

Thank you, I will try it in the morning... This tip will help me with other patterns iv been having issues with too... I don't understand why it needs a work around tho.

bergerud
02-24-2016, 09:51 PM
If you turn off the floor feather, you will see that the pattern does not come through. Bit optimization best stops the bit from cutting into your pattern and getting to the bottom of the board. I think the floor feather fools one into thinking the pattern goes through.

I would arrange the owls "flip flop" and carve out all the wood between them. Once the bit is down, keep it down to minimize the "plunging".

I will work on it.

bergerud
02-24-2016, 10:05 PM
I think I would set it up more like this. It would not be so hard on the machine. Note some feather, a little wider board, and more tabs.

Rkoonz2
02-24-2016, 10:19 PM
I think I would set it up more like this. It would not be so hard on the machine. Note some feather, a little wider board, and more tabs.

Nice, thanks! I was just adding a square cut region, this is much better. How did you do the outline to go around them all? Do you know how I can add holes for the eyes. I want to push beads into the holes for eyes...

bergerud
02-24-2016, 10:28 PM
I made a rectangle carve region which was a little smaller than the owls. Then I made an outline of the owls and the rectangle all at once. Then I offset the outline by 0.1, pierced, and added some feather.

bergerud
02-24-2016, 11:01 PM
To add eyes is a bit of work. Make circle carve regions for the eyes. Group the owl and the two eyes. Make the owl clip carving exclusive. The eyes should appear if they are deep enough.

SteveNelson46
02-25-2016, 10:21 AM
First of all your board thickness is 2.08". Maximum depth of cut for the long bits is 2". In the example attached, the bit was changed to the 1/16" long to increase the detail a little. After outlining the pattern (Tools, Outline Patterns) the Path Offset was used (Tools, Path Offset) to create a 3/8" space between the pattern and the cutout and then made into a pierced carve region with a 1/4" feather. Then the feather was flipped to reduce the space and to reduce the carve time. The tabs were changed to short lines and set to the bottom of the board (2"). Then everything was selected and Copy Offset (Tools, Copy Offset) was used to repeat the pattern across the board with a 4" spacing (pattern width plus a little space in between).

Rkoonz2
02-25-2016, 07:38 PM
First of all your board thickness is 2.08". Maximum depth of cut for the long bits is 2". In the example attached, the bit was changed to the 1/16" long to increase the detail a little. After outlining the pattern the Path Offset (Tools, Outline Pattern) was used to create a 3/8" space between the pattern and the cutout and then made into a pierced carve region with a 1/4" feather. Then the feather was flipped to reduce the space and to reduce the carve time. The tabs were changed to short lines and set to the bottom of the board (2"). Then everything was selected and Copy Offset (Tools, Copy Offset) was used to repeat the pattern across the board with a 4" spacing (pattern width plus a little for in between).

thanks for info.
Max carving depth for the long bit is 2.125 inch according to the website.... I had it on the 1/8 bit because my 1/16 bit is dull...

SteveNelson46
02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
You are correct but I have never carved anything beyond a depth of 2".