PDA

View Full Version : Centerline text Celtic Font bug in version 3

dltccf
02-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I have identified what appears to be a bug in the way the new text handling system works versus the previous versions. I have purchased and installed the celtic fonts from clanbadge.com. Others here in the forum have used that font also. I was using it but identified that it was not displaying the font properly, specifically, there was a thin line of whitespace between each letter and I could not get it to go away even if I reduced the spacing between letters and between lines. Here is and example of what I am describing:

Others on the forum had described using the font but did not have issues with the lines so I reloaded 1.87 and created the same project as with version 3 and in 1.87 you can see that it does not have the whitespace but beautifully and accurately renders the knots.

I carved the project to determine if it was just a display artifact, but it is not, the lines show up in the carving just as in designer. I really like what can be done with the celtic knot font, and I really like the new features of the text handling system in version 3, but the bug in this version of the software needs to be resolved to make it work to its full potential.

dave

fwharris
02-23-2016, 09:22 PM
I do not have the font but could the difference be with the feather and floor feather setting with 3.0?

dltccf
02-24-2016, 08:47 PM
I do not have the font but could the difference be with the feather and floor feather setting with 3.0?

No, this is text, so the Feather and Floor Feather do not apply, this has to do with the new font rendering engine in 3.0

dltccf
02-25-2016, 08:47 AM
OK, I found another bug: If you have any text using centerline and do "edit envelope" then hit "Preview" designer will crash. I've tested with multiple fonts and it happens every time. It does not happen with raster or outline, but happens consistently with centerline.

bergerud
02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
That certainly is a bug. Nice catch. I will report it.

dltccf
02-26-2016, 04:33 PM
That certainly is a bug. Nice catch. I will report it.

Thanks, but I am more concerned about the other one. I can live with the preview bug, the other needs addressed to get done some of the patterns I would like to make.

bergerud
02-26-2016, 07:18 PM
I reported that as well. I do not expect immediate action. I just report these things for the record so they are not forgotten the next time the software is updated.

dltccf
02-26-2016, 08:38 PM
I reported that as well. I do not expect immediate action. I just report these things for the record so they are not forgotten the next time the software is updated.
thanks, Is there somewhere I can report them directly?

bergerud
02-26-2016, 08:55 PM
You can certainly send them a email. I know of no plans for a new release, and so, I do not think it would do you much good. The font engine was drastically changed after 1.187 and it could be that the problem would not easy to fix.

I would like to play with the problem but I do not have those fonts.

DickB
02-27-2016, 07:15 AM
There may not be a fix. It may be an "issue" with the font itself.

I am not knowledgeable on this subject and may be speaking nonsense, but I have fooled with a couple of font designer programs, and it became apparent that designing good fonts is not a trivial matter. I would compare this to designing good patterns vs. not so good ones. There are a number of "rules" to follow to design good fonts. You may be able to design a font that "works" on the display screen or in a word processing program but is not a good font that follows the "rules". I suspect it may be the case that if one or more of these "rules" is not followed, the new Designer font engine is not happy.

MikeON
01-23-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm having the same issue using the Celtic Knots Inverse font with Designer 3.102 and Centerline fonts. Get little plus signs between the characters like the first image in this thread. I tried it in 1.187 and got rid of the plus signs. But even with 1.187, I'm getting little pyramids (as indicated by red arrow in image) between the characters if I use the 60° bit. The 90° bit gets rid of the pyramids, but I otherwise prefer the looks of the 60°.
I emailed Clanbadge (maker of the font) to see if they have a newer version - no reply yet.

DickB
01-23-2017, 01:47 PM
What is the size of your project? I'm guessing that Designer is limiting the depth of the V bit due to to the size of the cutout, resulting in the pyramids.

lynnfrwd
01-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Right click and select outline. Choose the outline of the whole pattern and give carve region to the same depth as the pattern depth. This is not a bug. It is just the uncarved "islands" peeking through.

DickB
01-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Right click and select outline. Choose the outline of the whole pattern and give carve region to the same depth as the pattern depth. This is not a bug. It is just the uncarved "islands" peeking through.I don't think so, Connie. This is Centerline text.

MikeON
01-23-2017, 03:52 PM
What is the size of your project? I'm guessing that Designer is limiting the depth of the V bit due to to the size of the cutout, resulting in the pyramids.

Board is 4" x 18" x 3/4"

bergerud
01-23-2017, 04:31 PM
What happens if you try bold?

DickB
01-23-2017, 04:55 PM
I suspect it is as I suggested. Try selecting everything and reducing the size to see if the pyramids go away.

MikeON
01-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Reducing text box size to about half makes the pyramids go away. Bold font makes them bigger. I decided to proceed with the 90° bit, although it would be nice to understand how all this stuff works together. I carved it out in cherry and am pleased with it. This will be interior window trim with a Celtic theme, inspired by Capt Bruce's mirror frame and St. Brendan project of a few years ago.

DickB
01-23-2017, 07:15 PM
I decided to proceed with the 90° bit, although it would be nice to understand how all this stuff works together.
Centerline limits the depth of cut with the 90 degree bit to about .36". This means that the maximum width of a text stroke is 2 x .36" or .72". The "I" on the left meets this requirement, so the letter can be cut in one pass with no "pyramid". If the stroke width exceeds the limit, Centerline makes two passes at maximum depth to achieve the desired stroke width. That results in the "pyramid" in the center of the middle "I". Since the 60 degree bit cuts a narrower stroke for a given depth, the "pyramid" will be necessarily bigger (as with the rightmost "I"). You reduce the likelihood of the undesirable "pyramid" by using the 90 degree bit.

MikeON
01-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks, DickB
That pretty much explains it. So my choices are to stick with 90° or use a finer pattern with more rows of characters. I'll do the former.

Apayne67
02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the breakdown on this, Dick. I've attempted to carve centerline text before and met less than desirable results. Appreciate the knowledge.