PDA

View Full Version : weekend projects

Pages : [1] 2

oscarl48
02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Felt like a really busy weekend but got two of my honey does done. yay!

The first was a picture frame for a small canvas art piece my wife is entering into an art competition. Had to figure out how to frame a stretched canvas. Decided to frame around the internal canvas frame.

Her instructions for the picture frame were:
1. It has to be beautiful.
2. It has to be simple.
3. Has to incorporate flowers since the competition is themed around flowers.
4. It can't be better than her art piece.

Nothing hard about those instructions.

I wanted to show off the two frames I made. Only one was required. Somehow I measured wrong and made the first frame the wrong size. Had to go back and re-do it to the correct size.

The second project was a meditation bench. The entire reason I had created the ohm symbol a while ago. This honey do project had been on the list a while. Wife loved it so all is forgiven.

While I was waiting for the CW to finish carving I realized I have my few CW router bits floating around in different areas so decided to make a little storage box for them so I don't lose them. It all scrap pieces. I have a purple heart bottom, maple top and front, and poplar sides. Used a wooden hinge for the top. Drilling straight is still my nemesis. Hinge fingers cut on the band saw and then pin hole drilled with a hand drill. I wanted to see how fast it could be done this way. I hate to say it because I have spent so much time exploring other methods but this took maybe 5 minutes to cut. If I take better care and layout my lines correctly this should only take about 15 minutes to cut and fine tune. I am not giving up on the other ways but for utilitarian pieces this will be the way I go. Just takes a little bit of practice to get them right I think.

dbemus
02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Really nice looking projects. I like the way you combine different kinds of wood in your boxes and the wooden hinges make them unique.

oscarl48
03-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Some more quick little projects. This is my version of the 90 OG unit patch. I wanted it to be a little meaner.

Also carved an emoji plaque that the wife wanted. Its a happy little plaque (need Bob Ross voice over for the last line).

dbemus
03-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Both are nice projects! Emoji plaque is unique!

oscarl48
04-24-2016, 07:28 PM
We finally had a gorgeous weekend which meant I could make some saw dust. I got ambitious after watching the PBS show Rough Cuts with Tommy Mac where he made a Chippendale foot stool. I have never made dragon feet legs before but decided to give it a try. First thing I discovered is if you leave (forget) your mortising machine in the rain it really doesn't like to work after that. So I had to cut mortises the old fashion what with drill and chisel. Learned real quick I am woefully out of shape. That is hard work. So I have the rails all carved and I have one leg about 90% and a second leg rough cut on the band saw only.

I am really surprised. The process is really forgiving. It is super time consuming to craft one of these legs but not horribly hard. You do have pay attention to what you are doing and take your time. Things I am not really known for. I screwed up one mortise which I will have to duplicate on the corresponding leg but should be a simple fix...I will make it the back of the stool. :D

normrichards
04-24-2016, 09:18 PM
Really Nice, I saw some claw legs someone made once with the CW somewhere on the forum.

bergerud
04-24-2016, 09:56 PM
I made one as a test on my rotary jig. The stl is here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25707-Need-STL-Claw-and-Ball-or-Paw-and-Ball&p=229897#post229897

Mugsowner
04-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Great work Oscar. I notice the dead critter sitting in the background.

oscarl48
04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Dan, that is nice. Mugs, when I was stationed in North Dakota we had a buffalo farm outside the gate. I am just sorry I didn't pick up a pelt to go with it.

Its just nice to do real woodworking every once in awhile.

zan29
04-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Very nice Oscar!

oscarl48
05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
A cross pattern I made for my wife. Carved pretty good and she likes it so life is good.

mikemi
05-01-2016, 07:10 PM
That looks really nice Oscar. Great job.

Mike

normrichards
05-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Really nice, I am sure she loved it.

oscarl48
11-11-2016, 03:08 PM
My neighbors have been amazing helping me move in and getting stuff done. Like helping me chop down trees. As a thank you I am making their family crests as a gift. This is the first one. I still need to stain and poly the plaque. It is 15"x14" carved at .25.

henry1
11-11-2016, 06:54 PM
My neighbors have been amazing helping me move in and getting stuff done. Like helping me chop down trees. As a thank you I am making their family crests as a gift. This is the first one. I still need to stain and poly the plaque. It is 15"x14" carved at .25.
How long did it take you to carve compared to mine

oscarl48
11-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Henry, I carved mine in normal so only 2 hours. It did take some sanding to clean it up but not too bad.

henry1
11-11-2016, 07:34 PM
I could of done the same but did not want to sand here is the finished crest with a green felt at the back

oscarl48
11-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Henry,

It looks great. I'm going to try a new technique and try also painting a little on it. We'll see how mine turns out.

- O

oscarl48
11-13-2016, 12:37 PM
And first one done. Not as nice as Henry's finish but I really, really hate finishing. So only a quick stain application and some spray on spar urethane. Still happy with the finish since it does give it some character.

I used black felt for the back and some hook picture hangers.

oscarl48
11-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Still finishing up the fine details but this is what I came up with for the wife's mini-grandfather clock. It will be a full size pendulum clock. I plan to carve it in black walnut with a small shelf on the bottom. The design is currently 24"x10"X4" without the shelf. Pretty pleased with the design overall and the wife loves it. The cherub is my sculpture attempt. Its nowhere near perfect but its all mine.

For the blender users I used dynamic topology starting with a cube. Keeps you from having to build a base figure to start sculpting from. Harder and easier in different aspects.

DianMayfield
11-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Beautiful work Oscar! And your wife has excellent taste :)

SteveNelson46
11-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Really nice work Oscar. I'm anxious to see the finished carve.

oscarl48
11-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Dian, thank you. She picked me so I am agreeing with you that she has excellent taste. :)

Steve, me too. I am out of black walnut so have to get some this week and I am ordering the clock mechanism today. It'll be an electronic clock with chimes (music) and short pendulum arm.

Mugsowner
11-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Should be an awesome looking clock when finished. Black walnut is always on top of the list.

ronboley
11-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Really nice projects. Do you have a drawing of the box hinge profile? I'm working on some presentation boxes and a wooden hinge would be a good addition. Thanks!

oscarl48
11-27-2016, 04:09 PM
I wish it was more fancy but it was as simple as it could be. I simply had two sides and back extend .75" over the front and then cut some hinges on the back and top with a band saw. Took literally about 5 minutes to do since I did it all by eye and then 1 minute at the sanding station to clean it up.

normrichards
12-01-2016, 01:27 AM
can't wait to see the finished clock.

oscarl48
12-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Norm, me too.

Really busy weekend projects. Carved the front of the clock but just ordered the clock mechanism yesterday so going to put that project to the side for next weekend. I gave up on using the CW to cut out stuff so will band saw and scroll saw out the pattern from the blank later.

Carved two more family crests. Did a rookie move. I did not confirm the spelling of my neighbors name even though when I spelled it out he said it was right. He is a little hard of hearing. So redid the shield and much happier with this version. Both done in oak with a stain and lacquer finish.

Also carving two beir the bell badges. One for my father-in-law and one for the wife.

I'm also doing a Marine plaque for my neighbor. It will be my very first center line font project. I've had the add-on for a long time but just hadn't used it.

Finally working on a pattern for my daughter. This is still in work design wise but you get the idea.

oscarl48
01-01-2017, 08:18 PM
My father-in-law's family crest completed. A little late for Christmas but should still be a nice gift. Really happy with the finished product. Stained red oak carved on normal and only minimal sanding. I know you can still see the tool marks but I hate sanding and I hate carving on optimal (would have been a 8hr carve) plus it gives it a rustic look. ;)

At some point I'll have to make time to carve my own.

I did carve the sub today. I am super pleased with it. Tomorrow I'll band saw it from the blank. My machine likes to wander in its cutouts so didn't want to chance it after a 2.5 hour carve in cherry. I'll post pictures tomorrow of it after glue up.

I am a little sad face. My delta table saw after only 6 months decided to crap out. I am going to have to dig our my old 15 yr craftsman out tomorrow to finish a few on going projects.

Dale
01-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Very nice Oscar, waiting to see your submarine.

Alan Malmstrom
01-02-2017, 12:36 AM
I hear ya about cutting out stuff. I always go to the band saw too.

oscarl48
01-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Alan, It is making me get better with the band saw since my skills with it are a bit lacking.

Here is model after glue up and first rough sanding at 120 grit. I'll probably go up to 180 or 220. I am now undecided on finish. Originally I was going to paint it but the wife wants me to stain and seal instead.

The top blemish on the wood is where I went a little crazy with the band saw. If I am going to stain it I will have to sand it down.

It is 20 inches long and about 3.5 inches high. I am super pleased with the model.

bergerud
01-02-2017, 12:13 PM
That is awesome. Isn't it great when a 3d model from your mind becomes real?

DianMayfield
01-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Oscar, it's pretty darn cool! Now I need to make one for my hubbie. I get not showing your SO things on the forum;)

I haven't used it, but how about ebony stain? If it comes out like I think it would, it could mimic the worn, mineralized look of the boat after a tour.

oscarl48
01-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Dan, it is pretty great. :)

Dian, I have also never used ebony stain. I'll have to test how it looks on cherry at some point. I was thinking cherry stain on the cherry to darken it and give it a more aged look. I love how cherry oxidizes over time to a nice dark brown. I always leave this for special projects but a few coats of tung oil and wax will probably be the sealing method. Once its all sealed I'll drill and mount some brass rods for the periscope and antennas to finish the model.

Mugsowner
01-02-2017, 05:54 PM
That looks really nice Oscar, can't see a seam in the pictures. Showed nice detail. Sorry to hear about your saw giving up the ghost, maybe being so young Delta will fix it up for you.

normrichards
01-02-2017, 06:23 PM
The Sub came out great, congratulations.

oscarl48
01-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Mugs, thanks. I'm going to contact Delta tomorrow and see what they can do. I really like carving in cherry. It takes wonderful detail. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

Norm, thanks. If I have time this week I'll work on the stand for it. I'd like to have it completely done by next week to be able to mail it off.

universal-sasquatch
01-02-2017, 07:27 PM
That is really great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwhiz
01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Dan, it is pretty great. :)

Dian, I have also never used ebony stain. I'll have to test how it looks on cherry at some point. I was thinking cherry stain on the cherry to darken it and give it a more aged look. I love how cherry oxidizes over time to a nice dark brown. I always leave this for special projects but a few coats of tung oil and wax will probably be the sealing method. Once its all sealed I'll drill and mount some brass rods for the periscope and antennas to finish the model.

Oscar--if you're going to stain it--any color, you should use a wash coat of diluted shellac or other sealer before staining. Cherry is prone to blotching without it.

oscarl48
01-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Thank you. I had forgotten about that. I may just throw it out in the sun for the rest of the week and just use tung oil. I'll see what it looks like by next weekend.

gwhiz
01-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Thank you. I had forgotten about that. I may just throw it out in the sun for the rest of the week and just use tung oil. I'll see what it looks like by next weekend.

That will work too! I did my entire basement (bar, wine cellar, aquarium, built-ins) with Cherry stained with a Bartley Pennsylvania Cherry Gel Stain. I first sealed the wood with Zinnser Seal Coat diluted 50/50 (I think that's the ratio I used). I'm happy with the way that it turned out.

oscarl48
01-07-2017, 10:54 PM
I am starting to design my most ambitious project so far. I didn't like my first design of my family crest so starting from scratch. It will be one of a kind. It's going to be a World of Warcraft themed crest plus maybe some Warhammer 40K elements and some steampunk thrown in for good measure. It will also be my first two piece carve due to the size I am envisioning (2x3ft). I just finished the first element. My family crest only has two main parts: a castle and a heraldic lion. I will be using the moonwell temple from Darnassus for the castle and a riding panther instead of a lion. This model is the center statue that is visible from the entrance way from the temple.

I will be modeling some dragons and griffons for the sides plus some new architectural elements.

So one element complete and a dozen more to follow. This project will probably take a while to complete.

normrichards
01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Oscar, looks great, also looks like much more than a weekend project! ;)

oscarl48
01-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Norm, you are so right about that one. I am planning of layering the carvings with appliques on different layers. So it will take me a while to design.

Went to work for a little bit on some test carves and the cherub clock and its just too darn cold out there. It's 37 degrees, so above freezing, but below my threshold of enjoying woodworking.

normrichards
01-08-2017, 04:29 PM
We are having a melting day from the snow, its 45 degrees today. I have a propane heater in the shop that I run until its around 50 then I maintain with a electric heater. I am helping a fellow cw owner with an urn today, just came in from the shop while the glue drys. I try to still work through the winter but it definitely cuts my shop time more than in half.

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Finally finished my little cherub clock. Didn't have the right size clock hands so these are temps. Pretty happy with it but also need a D size battery to see how loud its going to be. The back is open to create a sound box so hoping its loud.

SteveNelson46
01-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Really nice job Oscar! Is it going to be a gift or displayed in your home?

bergerud
01-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Now that is an awesome project. Very nice Oscar. You do not just talk the talk!

SharonB
01-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Wow! I'm impressed. That is a piece of art. Sure don't know where you find the time to do all that you do.

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Steve, thanks. Its for the house. Wife asked for it and the kids hate them (bennie). This should be clock number 5 that gongs or chimes on the hour.

Thanks, Dan.

Sharon, thanks. Too many hobbies. I am busy making another leather holster today. Trying to learn leather working now. Made this holster but have to remake it. My friend want's a slightly different pattern.

I'm supposed to be working on a cabinet for my neighbor but I am at the door making step. I'll procrastinate another day on that task. My garage/shop is a complete mess as well which needs a thorough cleaning and reorganization.

Think I will just open a little water (Russian version) and mix in some tonic water and call it a day until I light of the grill and get to it tomorrow. ;)

normrichards
01-21-2017, 02:20 PM
What a beautiful clock! Man that is definitely a heirloom.

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Norm, thanks. Not quite heirloom quality. lol. Like most of my pieces lately I did not use high quality carpentry since it was for me and I'm getting impatient. Mostly butt joints and glue. In my younger days I would have used advanced joinery but would have taken 4x longer to build. If this stays together for 20 years I will be happy versus 100 years.

mikemi
01-21-2017, 07:15 PM
It sure looks like heirloom quality to me Oscar. Sounds like you are a man of many talents.

Mike

Dale
01-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Very very nice Oscar, you sure stay busy!

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Mike, Dale, thanks. I tried leather working years ago but never got good at it so trying again.

Too many hobbies but they are all so much fun its hard to stop learning.

Woodworking though has been the one constant hobby I've had for the last 30 years.

oscarl48
02-19-2017, 06:18 PM
I created a series of abstract patterns that I wanted to do in oak plywood as tests this weekend. I saw one on pinterest and thought it was really interesting.

Got through with the first and saw a big pile of shavings and after the carve realized by dusk collector had stopped drawing air. Have to see if bag is full or if it just gave up its ghost tomorrow. Too late to try the other patterns.

I unfortunately also used an older bit and it did not carve great. First time I've carved plywood so not sure if this typical either. Had a lot of fuzzies afterwards that I had to sand off.

dbemus
02-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Oscar,

You turned a piece of plywood into a masterpiece! I like it!!

oscarl48
02-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Thank you but to be honest you really need good plywood and a sharp bit (which I didn't use). I was thinking of making a series of these to sell but I think its too much work to get perfect (design-wise).

Since I used home depot oak plywood it was okay but you can see the tear out and it was almost like it was still damp. I carved it at .5 and it only went through 3 layers of the 5. A 7 ply birch plywood would make a much better art piece.

Here is a smaller version of the pattern I used if anyone wants play with it. Get lucky with the perfect piece of plywood and it will look amazing.

If anyone carves it I would love to see how your version comes out.

Happy President's day. Spent the day removing wallpaper. So not too many weekend projects. Whoever invented wallpaper needs a good thrashing.

Alan Malmstrom
02-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Ah Ha! That looks like raster and curve stuff to me.

oscarl48
02-20-2017, 07:41 PM
Alan, you are correct. Finally getting into some of the intermediate capabilities of blender.

I used a noise texture to randomize and feed a musgrave (asymmetrical polynomial regression) texture filter combined with a color ramp. It produces a random geometry pattern with different colors.

This is the render of the model. I thought is was really cool so made a pattern from it.

By changing some of the parameters I can completely change the geometry and color for new designs.

Alan Malmstrom
02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Oh. Well whatever that means it sounds like you did it in blender which is not raster. But you can do the same kind of thing in raster using the airbrush and then curves dialog on it like this image I made as a raster.

oscarl48
02-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Alan,

lol. I really misunderstood the comment. That is very cool, by the way, that designer has similar capabilities.

Yes, is was done totally in blender. There are some advanced filters in the cycles render engine. One of the factors in the musgrave filter is multi-fractal regression. My math is now non-existent so how it actually does it is magic.

oscarl48
02-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Redoing the patterns for my family crest. Need a lion and a castle. Came up with this for the lion. Turned out half werewolf half lion but I think its cool so will be running with it but wanted to show it off.

I'll start the castle today. Going for a gothic type castle. I'll be as surprised as everyone else on how it comes out. Just throwing stuff down and seeing how it evolves.

Dale
02-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Oscar, you are getting pretty good at that!

SteveNelson46
02-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Oscar,

There is a lion pattern in the basic patterns included with the Designer.

oscarl48
02-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Dale,

Thanks. It was a fun model to build.

Steve,

I couldn't open your mpc (have 2.xx only) but I assume its the basic heraldic lion. There is nothing wrong with the pattern but I prefer my own. Here is the basic patterns' lion and the two of mine. I know the last one is a bit cartoony but it is definitely my style of artwork. I'll have to see which one works best with the design or build a third lion pattern.:D

eelamb
02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Oscar, I like your two lions. Middle one I really like the head, body is a little rough at spots but overall very nice. The third one I like the concept of the figure, it looks fierce.

oscarl48
02-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Eddie,

Thank you. The middle one was completely sculpted so is really rough. The third is one is first rough modeled and then detail sculpted on. Still in the learning phase and probably will stay there until I die. This 3d stuff is amazing.

- O

normrichards
02-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Those are really nice lions, I have always liked your more stylistic approach.

oscarl48
02-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Norm, thanks. I'm working on the castle now so have to see which one fits better or I may have to make a new pattern.

oscarl48
03-25-2017, 11:23 PM
This is what happens when you drink too much cucumber flavored little water.

Just finished the architectural fancy shell for my library and wanted to make a simple pattern to see how it would look but this is what developed. Not simple. lol.

SharonB
03-26-2017, 12:02 AM
It might not be simple Oscar but I like it..... all except the skulls. But then, maybe I should drink some of your cucumber water and the skulls would fit in just fine. :)

oscarl48
03-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Sharon, good. I am pleased with the shell design.

The skull was a joke for the wife's sake. She hates it when I throw in random elements into a cohesive design and especially skulls. Sooo, I threw in a random skull. ;)

Have a wonderful night.

- O

Canemaker
03-26-2017, 03:37 PM
excellent as usual. i haven't been able to do anything since i had a compound break to both bones in my wrist. 8 - 12 weeks in an external fixation device then therapy.

oscarl48
03-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Dang! That sounds painful. Well wishes on a speedy and easy recovery.

oscarl48
04-22-2017, 11:35 PM
I think I am finally going to try to make a clock...for real this time. I have the basic clock gear train but still have to figure out how I want to do the hands mechanism.

oscarl48
04-23-2017, 06:23 PM
I am totally in love with the black walnut and mahogany combination. I am super pleased with the clock but I am a big failure. I failed to measure the clock movement shaft correctly and it was too short for the clock. I guess eye balling isn't as good as actually measuring something with an actual ruler. I am going to have to order another one.

lol. reason to build another clock that fits the movement correctly.

- O

SharonB
04-23-2017, 11:15 PM
I really like the design of the clock case. You are getting quite good at making clocks, Oscar.

henry1
04-24-2017, 10:02 AM
WOW that is nice that lots work that put in that pattern love it

oscarl48
04-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Sharon, Henry, thank you. Not quite the same to my earlier clock but very similar.

oscarl48
04-26-2017, 06:49 AM
I have a friend who got selected for school and is moving on to another base. For the non-military folks, that's a big deal. School is a discriminator for promotion so his chances to getting promoted to colonel just went up several points. He is huge into baseball so another friend and I are doing a special going away gift in addition to the traditional command plaque. It's a baseball display stand I made in mahogany with leather for the seats.

- O

mikemi
04-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Nice job Oscar. I'm sure he will really appreciate it.

Mike

oscarl48
05-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Spent most of the weekend getting my motorcycle ready for the road so didn't get any woodworking in (or any of the dozen honey do tasks on my list) but did finish one pattern. Its a winged star. No sure if I will be throwing into the depot pattern or keeping for my library but still wanted to show it off.

I also made two new textures for my library. The one on the picture is one of my split oak logs from my wood pile. Also made another texture using a picture from soil in my wife's garden. Pretty pleased with both patterns. Slowly building up my texture patterns.

SharonB
05-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Oscar, I really like the way your wings came out. Great detail.

oscarl48
05-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Thanks Sharon. Simple pattern but it took forever to tweak. Each feather is an individual object so over 100 objects in the model.

- O

oscarl48
05-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Just playing with this idea for an electric light switch plate. Trying to figure out the mechanics. I'd like to carve some custom plates for the bathroom remodel I doing.

henry1
05-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Just playing with this idea for an electric light switch plate. Trying to figure out the mechanics. I'd like to carve some custom plates for the bathroom remodel I doing.
what about the new switch light 1" x 2" in the center model

oscarl48
05-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Henry, thank you. I'll see what I can learn from the model. I am trying to figure out what is the best way to design these things and at what depth they need to be carved. The wife chose a Japanese zen garden spa theme so will be carving an oriental pattern on the final switch plates. Thanks again for sharing.

oscarl48
06-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Still haven't gotten any of my projects done. Did have fun with an old pattern and spruced it up. Definitely going into my private library.

Mugsowner
06-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I like, I chuckled a bit when I saw it.

oscarl48
06-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Started watching the series again (Devil May Cry) and thought it would be cool to have a model of the sword. May go on some future project.

oscarl48
06-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Some sculpting practice. I am pleased with the pattern so going into my library. May become a war horse in the future. The hair is a separate object from the head so easy to remove to add the armor.

Mugsowner
06-29-2017, 05:28 AM
Very nice Oscar

oscarl48
06-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Thank you. Sculpting in 3d is pretty fun. Here is a version of a war horse with armor. Just playing with it for now and just an object blocking exercise.

P.S. added a quick render of a slightly updated model. Nothing special but really liking the OpenGl render capabilities in blender. Render was a few seconds. A little post processing in Corel.

oscarl48
07-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Trying something new tomorrow. An electrical switch plate. Haven't done these before so not sure about the dimensions. So calling it an experiment but hope it works.

My wife (me as the labor/work horse...did I say work horse, meant whipped over worked mule) is remodeling our bathroom in a Japanese type decor and I had the awesome pictures from NICPIC to use for patterns. Of course she said, "those are really nice but I want..." so had to use my own patterns.

This is my first pattern attempt.

Carving in mahogany. I'll follow up with the results.

oscarl48
07-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Some architectural element patterns for my library I made using different modeling techniques this afternoon.

oscarl48
07-12-2017, 08:09 PM
I said I wasn't going to carve this stuff but man its pretty. I may have to change my mind and need to buy some new bits just for this. This is just two coats of oil poly. Its the wood shining through.

- O

Mugsowner
07-12-2017, 09:26 PM
The shine can sure be brought out with the right touch, very nice.

oscarl48
07-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Here is another Oscar special. Had a rough idea of what I wanted so just started hammering lumber together. So no plans and no real clear direction on what the final piece of furniture would look like. Everything was pretty adhoc.

Oak plywood case with solid oak doors. Tile top and European hinges. It weighs a ton.

So really pleased on how it came out. A lot of luck and a little bit of poor skill. I still need to clear coat it but ran out of steam. Going into the bathroom as a towel/medicine cabinet.

Took 4 times longer than it should have to build and construction assembly not optimized. I lucked out on material usage. Came out using exactly one sheet of 3/4" oak plywood and 6 oak boards of 8"x3/4"x6'.

dbemus
07-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Great work Oscar!! Nice project!!

rcdages
07-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Oscer,

Out Standing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shortround72
07-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Looks great! You always do great work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarl48
07-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the kind comments.

- O

oscarl48
07-26-2017, 10:22 PM
My daughter has been bugging me about darn spinners. She wants one so I am going to do an experiment this weekend and try to make her one. Her favorite animal is a koala so doing a koala spinner. I made the pattern so just have to see how it carves and how good it works.

- O

oscarl48
07-29-2017, 02:06 PM
I am going to call my first attempted prototype as a partial success. The spinners are normally 3-3.5 inches but that seemed small to me so made mine 4 inches. Well, there is a reason the spinners are 3-3.5 inches in diameter. Short fingers don't help. Also mine was too thick at .375 inches. The bearing is .275 high so that .1 inch is too much of a difference.

I think the best way to accomplish this is a custom jig to hold the .275-.3 thick lumber blank securely so its the right size to start with.

But a fun little prototype. Now that I see it can be done need to start designing some other cool designs. My other daughter wants a skull one now.

- O

oscarl48
07-29-2017, 09:03 PM
This is the pattern I am going with for the skull spinner. Pattern created at 3.25 in diameter and 2.75 thickness. I'll carve it at .3 so its a pierced and don't have to use the cutting bit.

dbemus
07-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Really clever work!! I like the design unique to the owner.

oscarl48
08-12-2017, 01:02 PM
I was inspired by the recent thread on military pinup art. So decided to make one for my wife. Its based on a real pin art artwork from a WWII bomber but updated with the weapons that I used in my career. I am going to try to carve it tomorrow.

oscarl48
09-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Finally got to the plaque. Super happy with it and the wife really liked it. Brownie points plus. :)

Carved in mahogany and its 13x13.

oscarl48
10-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Finally after almost a year finally finished this project. I am handing it off to my neighbors to finish the piece and to add their own door hardware. It was a thank you for all the assistance they have given me this last year. He also gave me enough wood to heat my home this coming winter from a tree he had to cut down.

Doors are raised panel doors with an oak tree carved on them with the CW. Solid oak and oak plywood. Its not pretty but its solid.

I was going to do some traditional stained glass but at this point I just wanted it out of my garage so did some Tiffany style stained glass instead. Still pretty but without all the sealing work.

Dale
10-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Very nice Oscar!

henry1
10-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Wow you do great work

gwhiz
10-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Great job Oscar!

rmock
10-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Nice job !!!

Sliverfoot
10-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Very Nice Oscar

dbemus
10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Nicely scaled design! Lucky neighbors!!

oscarl48
11-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys for all the comments on the cabinet. I wish it was just the builder being super critical on his own work but its not. I made some big errors on the piece. Its amazing how fast all the little techniques and work arounds you learn doing big furniture pieces are lost from the brain if you don't do them periodically. Its been a few years since I did a big furniture piece.

Freed up some space in my garage/shop so had to fill it up. Twenty 2x4s, 10 dollars in screws and 10 dollars in glue=new work table.

8 hours and under 80 dollars to do a new work bench. 3 coats of lacquer drying now. A garden swing on the to-do list next.

I have been really focused on learning 3d modeling and really haven't been doing a lot of patterns lately but I do have some draft patterns I need to test carve to put on the pattern store at some point. If anyone is interested I have a art portfolio at https://www.artstation.com/olg. Let me know if anyone has any art ideas I can work on. :)

Dale
11-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Nice workbench Oscar.

dbemus
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Really nice job on the workbench!!

oscarl48
11-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. It was a quick fun build.

oscarl48
12-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Sorry, again non-CW but another project completed off the list. Hopefully starting to make a small dent. Already have folks asking if I can make them one and my answer is heck no. Took way longer than I thought and a surprising amount of 2x4s. Around 28-32. I lost count. A ton of screws. No glue so as pieces decay I can replace easily. Again no pattern or plan but a rough idea in the brain. Not the way to build these things.

I need to do a bunch of test carves on some draft patterns. Hopefully next weekend.

fwharris
12-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Sorry, again non-CW but another project completed off the list. Hopefully starting to make a small dent. Already have folks asking if I can make them one and my answer is heck no. Took way longer than I thought and a surprising amount of 2x4s. Around 28-32. I lost count. A ton of screws. No glue so as pieces decay I can replace easily. Again no pattern or plan but a rough idea in the brain. Not the way to build these things.

I need to do a bunch of test carves on some draft patterns. Hopefully next weekend.

Nice looking swing! Ah come on now you got the hardest part done, that first one! :)

oscarl48
12-03-2017, 07:21 PM
lol. too true.

Now that I have kludged it together I should make some plans and cut sheet. Whenever someone asks me for one I can hand them the plans and I can say, "go to it and have fun and let me know how it came out". :D

oscarl48
01-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Finally got a wonderful weekend to do some woodworking. Its been too cold in my garage to work up to now or too many honey do list priorities.

I love how this came out. It is always a surprise how wood will look when applying the finish. Its 3 pics at different angles to show the carving detail. Mahogany back, black walnut base and soft spruce for the actual carving. The spruce is stained with light and dark stain to bring out the carving. The mahogany and walnut is just lacquer to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.

The overall piece is 18 inches tall.

mtylerfl
01-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Very nice project, Oscar!

SharonB
01-30-2018, 12:52 AM
I'm impressed Oscar. Was this a three piece glue up? And is the young lady one of your designs? I know the feeling that comes when you can get a day in the shop to do just what you want. May we all have more days like that.

oscarl48
01-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Michael, Sharon, thank you.

Sharon, that is a wonderful wish for all us woodworkers...More time in the shop.

The model is not mine. Its a carving of Signe Tegner that I thought it was beautiful. The 3d model is available from sketchfab and it was scanned by Mr. Geoffrey Marchal. I tweaked it a little bit to port into designer. It is a 3 piece glue up with 3 different species.

- O

mikemi
01-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Fantastic job Oscar.

oscarl48
01-30-2018, 09:30 PM
mike, thanks.

Sharon, you got me thinking. Could I have made a pattern like that so I did a quick experiment.

With the software tools I have (blender) I can make something like that with a little bit of time. I only spent about an hour building this test pattern. To do it right it would probably take me a few days. But...do I have the artistic vision and talent...nope, not even close.

The software does most of the work. My wife calls it cheating. I call it efficiency. :)

oscarl48
01-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Saw this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24ieuYDSI0.

This is my variation on the design. It's purple heart with a beech handle. I have some scrap mahogany and padauk so I will be making 2 more mallets. The reason I am sharing this is I already glued up the mahogany head but the padauk is still a board. I realized it'd be pretty cool to carve something into it but I am unsure what design to use.

Any ideas or thoughts? It can't be too complicated. The head is 3x6 inches so pretty small. Also padauk is fairly dark (orangy/brown) as a limitation.

The purple heart mallet is going onto a display shelf. I love how it came out. The mahogany one will be my actual work/use mallet and the padauk one will probably join the purple heart one. If nothing pops up I'll go with a Celtic/Thor's hammer design.

oscarl48
02-02-2018, 10:01 PM
No suggestions so going with a mini-Thors hammer theme design. Still tweaking but have this so far. Size is 6x4 inches. I will be turning the handle for this one as well.

I'll probably start it tomorrow depending on how I feel. Flu is sweeping through East Texas like most places.

oscarl48
02-03-2018, 09:42 AM
After many tweaks I have the design I am going with but this morning we woke up to 32 degrees and a high of ~45 degrees. Not sure if I want to run the CW at that temp but more importantly I don't know if I want to run me at those temps. Its cold. I remeasured my scrap board and I have enough for a 4x8 in mallet so going with that.

P.S. It gotten into the 50's but it feels even colder to me since this morning. I did spend a little bit of time finishing up my second mallet. It African Mahogany and oak handle. 3 danish oil coats. It needs a few more but I'll apply them another day. I said this would be my actual use mallet, but again, I love how it looks. Not sure if I want to bang it around. I will drill and pin the handle later as well. Its supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I'll try to carve then. Card is loaded in the machine ready to go.

oscarl48
02-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Ended up with this beast for a mallet. The head is 9x4 inches in Padauk and oak handle. That is the color of the wood with only oil applied. After a few years it'll oxidize to a soft orangy brown. Padauk carves beautifully. This is carved on normal with no sanding at all on the carving. Now have to figure out how to display it. :)

mtylerfl
02-05-2018, 04:50 PM
That came out great, Oscar! It will still look great even after the Padauk color changes. I think it will still have a nice contrast with the Oak handle.

I found a webpage that describes how certain woods change color over time. It's a nice reference for folks who are spending a lot of money for certain color wood so they avoid a "surprise" after the wood color changes. Knowing what it will do upfront can have a bearing on what wood one chooses for their projects.

Here is a link to that page:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/preventing-color-changes-in-exotic-woods/

oscarl48
03-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Making an accent frame for some tile I laid down in front of the fire place. The tile is a bit taller than the rest of the flooring I just laid down so wanted some sort of transition and thought a nice frame would do nicely. I should be able to carve it tomorrow. My wife requested cherry blossoms. :)

RogerB
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Oscar one little trick for a tapered transition piece is to run your piece upside down through a plainer and ship one side to make the taper. Very nice Carve.

oscarl48
03-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Roger, thanks for the tip. I think I need to redo it. I carved it 4 in wide and it seems too big for me. My wife told me to lay in front of the tile to see if it grew on me but its not. So probably this weekend have to re-carve and go with with 2.5 or 3 in wide instead.

RogerB
03-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Oscar for this I would take a strip of wood and lay it on the floor to see how it looks .The widest transition I have done is 2 inch unless there is a wheel chair in your house.Good luck with your carve.

oscarl48
04-07-2018, 09:20 PM
I still have an electronic clock that I haven't used so I think its time for a new clock.

Rough mock up of the clock. It started as a joke but the wife actually liked it and so do I. The carved part will be the claw holding the retaining circle for the clock face and clock. The spindles I'll turn on the lathe. I have some African Mahogany left so will go with that. Should be interesting.

dbemus
04-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Beautiful design, nicely scaled! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

oscarl48
04-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Thanks. I had a lot of yard work today so didn't get anything done this weekend woodworking-wise. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have something to show.

oscarl48
04-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Well, it started as a joke but it came out looking pretty good. I am sad to say my wife stated its her favorite clock I've made so far (including the grandfather clock).

Constructed from Mahogany, black walnut edge accent, and oak spindles. Dragon claw carved on the CW and spindles were lathe turned.

Finished in tung oil. The electronic clock is a tubular quad chime quartz clock movement and it is loud. I love it.

mikemi
04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Great job Oscar.

Mike

oscarl48
04-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Mike, thanks. It was a fun project.

dbemus
04-13-2018, 01:02 PM
One of a kind! Priceless! Certainly unique design. Nice finish1 Thanks for sharing!

Dbemus

oscarl48
04-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Dbemus, thanks. It was a fun little project. The best part is how much it annoys my daughters. It is loud. :D

Mugsowner
04-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Great job, once again Oscar and the fact that you can annoy someone with it is just icing on the cake.

oscarl48
04-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Mugsowner, thanks. Too true, icing on the cake. :)

oscarl48
04-30-2018, 07:56 PM
A friend from work wanted a step stool for his 3 year old to be able to brush her teeth at the sink. So he asked me to help with building it. His child likes roses so did a quick pattern and here you go. He loved the piece and hopefully learned at least a little bit of woodworking. Nothing fancy but a fun little build.

I really enjoy being able to envision and design a pattern and within an hour be carving a custom pattern on a wood piece with my design.

Piece is black walnut with pocket screw construction.

mtylerfl
04-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Beautiful! I'd say that's a pretty fancy footstool!

Dale
04-30-2018, 09:30 PM
Very nice Oscar!

oscarl48
04-30-2018, 10:02 PM
Michael, Dale, thanks. It was a fun project. No fancy joinery so quick and simple.

dbemus
05-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Simply elegant!

oscarl48
05-03-2018, 05:45 PM
dbemus, thanks. Fun little project.

oscarl48
05-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Dragon Claw Clock version 2.0. Mahogany with maple dragon column accents.

Probably one more coat of tung oil tomorrow and then I can install the clock mechanism but for all practical purposes complete. A few issues like always but pretty happy with the piece. Used oil stain on the dragon portion on the maple to make it pop more.

My turning skills are a little rusty since I do it by eye and not measurements. Need to start practicing some more.

Update: Added a picture of the finished clock.

Ducky63
05-21-2018, 08:17 PM
Very nice Oscarl48!!!!

Canemaker
05-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Oscar, I really like the dragon claws reaching around the clock face. Great job as usual.

oscarl48
05-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Ducky63, John, Thanks. It was a fun project. I liked it. :)

oscarl48
08-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Making my daughter a custom ring box with a baby dragon on a sunflower. I'll try to carve sometime this week.

Decided to render an image and colorize it for fun. Thought I'd share since I think it came out pretty cute.

I'll be carving in walnut.

dbemus
08-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Very attractive design! Should be great in walnut. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!!!

oscarl48
11-29-2018, 10:04 PM
I can't remember if I've posted these before so if I have...sorry. Old brain.

Decided to go with one of each design. Finished the carves last weekend. The traditional crest will go to my parents and I am keeping the non-traditional crest for my love-me wall. A fun project.

14"x20" in red oak, carved normal at .25 full height.

mtylerfl
11-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Great work, Oscar!

oscarl48
11-30-2018, 11:10 AM
thank you. :)

oscarl48
01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Niknak box for my daughter and son-in-law. Pretty happy with the carvings. My son-in-law is embedded with the Marines as a corpsman so included the Marine bulldog.

Another light sanding tomorrow and another coat of tung oil and it will be ready for mailing.

mikemi
01-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Very nice Oscar. I am sure they will be very happy with it.

Mike

oscarl48
01-22-2019, 08:29 PM
Mike, thanks. No fine woodworking but okay for a quick weekend project. :)

want2b
01-23-2019, 05:15 PM
A one of a kind box. He'll never have to worry about seeing another plus it will be something personal from you.
Rick H

oscarl48
01-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Rick, thanks. I hope they do like it.

oscarl48
05-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Finally finished this project after a few weekends. A Navy paddle plaque in Mahogany with black walnut accents and oak handle. Wrapped in Navy blue paracord.

dbemus
05-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Outstanding!!! I like the combination of the three different woods.

want2b
05-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Another beautiful project. I keep kicking myself when I see these you post, just got to make some time.
Thx for sharing, Rick H

Smoken D
05-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Now that is cool!

Mugsowner
05-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Great work Oscar, I'm sure they will be enjoyed.

oscarl48
05-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Guys, thank you. I am semi-pleased with it. The paddle is for my daughter. I finally sent pictures and she was happy with it.

There are some design choices I would change if I had to redo it but overall I am happy with the dimensions and patterns. That's what happens when you start cutting without any plans and only a rough idea in your head.

I need to learn how to do more knots as well. I believe the ends are supposed to have turks head knots but that knot still eludes me. I think I may have a mental block. I try to follow youtube tutorials but half way through making the knot I find my self completely lost and with a tangle of paracord in my hands. lol

oscarl48
07-02-2019, 07:29 PM
This is the fun of the CW. Commander is retiring and on of his staff, and my friend, asked me to make a custom frame so they can show case his going away gifts. Some autographed astronaut pictures. The commander is a huge NASA/astronomy fan.

A quick afternoon pattern making and 6 custom patterns for the frame.

The frame will be black walnut with an accent wood (not sure yet what species).

On the other side of the equation. Have I mentioned I hate making frames. Only because my friend asked otherwise it would have been a big no. I always have to fiddle with the joints and they are never perfect. Yes I could be build some jigs, but did I mention I hate making frames. :(

Making the patterns on the other hand was fun.

Dale
07-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Very nice work Oscar, please show us the finished project!

dbemus
07-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Very nice Indeed!!!!!

oscarl48
07-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks gents. ;)

I will post when completed. I have the main frame glued up. Only a few minor gaps between the joints. :(

Used biscuits to join them but may add splines for decoration. I have enough mahogany to add an inner frame accent (also to hide the rabbet mistakes I made).

The patterns carved well. So happy with that since I didn't test carve prior to.

oscarl48
07-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Space themed picture frame. 28 3/4"x 28 3/4". Black walnut with African Mahogany accent. Black felt on plywood for the backing.

The weather was horrid. Hot and muggy. Kept dripping sweat all over the frame even though I was wiping every 30 seconds or so. Like always the joints are not perfect and it is about 1/16 out of square so not noticeable but not what I like.

Good enough for government work. lol. Which it is. Commander's going away gift.

Mugsowner
07-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Nice work Oscar

dbemus
07-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Great work! I am sure the recipient will be delighted!

oscarl48
07-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Guys, thanks. My friend really liked it so all good.

oscarl48
07-21-2019, 11:55 AM
My front entrance has a step up that needs some dressing up. I am putting a piece of ash across the step. About 5 feet by 6 inches. I've been playing with different designs.

I think I have the final design (3d render visualization enclosed). Too lazy to go out in the heat today but maybe my weekend project for next week. Let me know what you guys think.

Dale
07-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Very nice Oscar. I'm sure that will catch everyone's eye.

dbemus
07-21-2019, 03:05 PM
I like it! Really elegant!!!

dbemus
07-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Post a photo when the project is complete and in place.

mtylerfl
07-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Can’t wait to see it carved and finished!

oscarl48
07-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Who forgot to save the mpc before swapping out computers???!! answer: MEEE! lol

Thankfully I posted a picture so I could go back and recreate it. The pattern is a composite of 3 different models I've made in the past. The second version, I think, is slightly better since I took more care on the height levels of the models.

But it is now in the card and I should start carving in the next few hours (about 1.5 hour carve). Have to let the "little water" in me metabolize a bit (2 bloody Marys with breakfast).

My computer got back from repair this week and unfortunately they replaced the hard drive and motherboard. Had to contact tech support to de-register the computer so I could re-register it. Like always super fast. Thanks LHR tech support again!

...for folks that don't know "little water" in Russian is Vodka.

dbemus
07-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the "little water" enlightenment!!!!

oscarl48
07-28-2019, 05:37 PM
You are welcome. :)

Bought some Japanese rice "little water" I am going to try later today.

Super happy with the design. Carved better than I hoped. The lumber is beech and it did good. The step up is 56 inches long and 6.75 inches tall. I'll fit it tomorrow.

Dale
07-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Very nice Oscar! I've never used beech but obviously it carves quite well.

gwhiz
07-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Looks great Oscar!

want2b
07-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Never used beech either but as above, really like it. Great carving.
Rick H

oscarl48
07-29-2019, 01:19 PM
Gents, thank you. I am pretty pleased with it. The beech, at least this board, carved beautifully. Not as good as cherry but close.

Beech depending on where in the country is fairly inexpensive. Unfortunately not so cheap in East Texas.

Smoken D
07-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Good looking Oscar, carved real good in beech.

oscarl48
10-07-2019, 06:07 PM
A friend asked me to do a test carve on one of his cutting boards. So did a quick custom pattern and carved it out this weekend. Needs to be a bit deeper but overall I think he will be pleased with the design.

Species is hickory.

want2b
10-08-2019, 07:21 AM
A nice looking cutting board. Curious as to whether the design was done to add a functional use to the board or just for visual?
Rick H

oscarl48
10-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Rick, its meant to do both. My friend primarily uses the boards for meat so thought the diamond pattern would hold the meat better. I also liked the look of the design.

Since I have never cut on a cutting board like this it may be a total disaster. My friend is supposed to let me know how it works and looks when finished.

oscarl48
12-26-2019, 03:57 PM
I've been meaning to make a simple watch holder. Here is the design I have so far. I am going western theme.

mtylerfl
12-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Very nice work, Oscar!

oscarl48
12-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Michael, thank you. I have it carved out in walnut but now I have to work on the base but that will be tomorrow.

I snapped a band saw blade which was a sign I had to get back inside and start relaxing with an adult libation. If I am pushing my tools that means I should not be wood working.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

oscarl48
12-26-2019, 07:04 PM
I also finished some family crests. Two for my brothers and one for my front porch. The design for my brothers is my newer design. The one for myself is an older version but I still like it.

mtylerfl
12-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Both of those are beautiful!

oscarl48
12-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Michael, thanks. :)

oscarl48
12-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Really happy with end results. No real plans again just building to a vague idea.

mtylerfl
12-27-2019, 03:03 PM
That looks Mighty Fine, Oscar!!

oscarl48
01-15-2020, 02:21 PM
Finally got to this project. It's a bracelet holder for my wife. The wood was harvested by a neighbor from somewhere in Missouri I believe. A little rougher than from my local wood store but the color is spectacular (air dried for 2 years).

Black walnut with red oak brace and 17 inches long by about 5 inches tall.

mtylerfl
01-15-2020, 07:34 PM
Wow! That is gorgeous!

oscarl48
01-16-2020, 08:12 AM
Michael, thanks. The wife liked it so all I could ask for. The wood was really figured so the grain was anything but straight. I hate sanding so its a little rustic. :)

Smoken D
01-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Beautiful!!!

oscarl48
02-05-2020, 01:00 PM
Thank you. Turned out to be 1/2 an inch to big for my wife's bracelets.

Have to redo it at some point. :cry:

oscarl48
04-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Finally have my workflow down. About 2 hours to make one of these flutes not counting gluing time. I've realized I can use the CW to make 95% of the flute but I want to keep the touch labor in building these.

The CW will carve the inside cove on one half of the flute and that's it.

Glue up, cutting the sound holes, and turning on the lathe, tuning, and finish are left to be done manually. Makes each one a unique piece of artwork.

Now have to learn how to actually play one these things. Tuned to F4#. :)

want2b
04-17-2020, 06:06 PM
Beautiful , hope they sound as great as they look.
Rick H

Dale
04-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Looks good Oscar, now just waiting for a recording of you playing a song!

dbemus
04-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Oscar, That really looks nice! I too will be waiting for a recording and video of you playing a song!!!

oscarl48
04-21-2020, 06:25 PM
My wife wants me to relocate to the end of the yard when I practice. lol. I can hold a note now, kind of. If you don't hold the holes perfectly closed it can make a nice screeching noise.

Its a good thing I am really enjoying the process of making these. I have requests from family and neighbors for a flute. The design is slowly morphing and hopefully getting better. Here are my last batch of flutes (cedar, poplar, walnut). They are complete with the exception of drilling the finger holes and tuning. They will all be tuned to F#.

I have enough cedar processed to do another 4 to 5 flutes, which I will start tomorrow, and then I think I will move on to the next project.

mtylerfl
04-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Those sure are pretty!! (Anxious to hear what they sound like when you’re done.)

Gary Koval
04-22-2020, 06:08 AM
Oscar, I agree with Micheal, they are beautiful... i have a request, how about “Amazing Grace” to start off with? Just kidding, but they are a work of art!

oscarl48
04-22-2020, 09:40 AM
The dogs have been howling and the cats running away (that is literally true). I'm not sure you guys want my rendition of any song yet.

Just maintaining a note has been challenging. You have to breathe and move fingers at the same time. Challenging to say the least for me. ;)

oscarl48
05-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Built a quick flute stand for all my flutes. 10 flutes so far with 2 not really working for different reasons (I messed up at different areas). Cedar, walnut, and poplar.

Next week time to do a deep cleaning on the CW. The cedar left a lot of pitch on the inside of the machine thanks to the speed not being optimal but can't complain too much. It did a great job of routing a straight line which I could not do.

DianMayfield
05-03-2020, 10:30 PM
That's lovely Oscar! I have used a 3/4in core box (?) bit to create a 1/2 circle trough to rest plaques in.

oscarl48
05-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Thank you. :)

How did the 3/4" bit cut. I got a lot of burning with the 7/8" cove bit. I stayed with the machine through the cuts to make sure there was no real fire and just a lot of smoke.

Though it did a great job at the task.

DianMayfield
05-04-2020, 01:00 PM
I told it that there was a 1/2 ball nose, and there was a little burn, but light sanding took it out. I use a brass brush on my bits before every use, just to make sure there is no pitch or anything to dull it up.

oscarl48
05-04-2020, 03:55 PM
I did the same with assigning the 1/2 ball nose. This weekend is a deep clean for my machine. I did not clean the bit in between carves and there is a nice build up on parts of the machine.

oscarl48
05-05-2020, 10:38 PM
Tried my hand at carving a totem for my newest design. Pitiful and sad are the best adjectives.

Tomorrow after a good cleaning throwing these designs and see how they carve.

oscarl48
05-06-2020, 08:02 PM
A fun design. Really like how it came out. Flute looks great but sounds not so good. Have to do some tweaking tomorrow on it. Design coming along.

Took out the bit today for the cleaning. A layer of burned pitch glued to the bit. I am surprised I didn't have a bon fire. Lesson learned is to clean the bit after every cut.

want2b
05-07-2020, 05:15 AM
Looks great, like the cedar coloring. Only flute I ever tried to make was out of PVC. Might have to give it a go.
Rick

oscarl48
05-07-2020, 11:06 AM
Rick, they are surprisingly forgiving to make. PVC flutes are pretty awesome too.

The cedar really give a warm sound to the flutes. My least favorite is the poplar. The sound is not as warm but still very nice.

I bought Charlie Mato-Toyela's book on flute making but he has shared all his techniques and processes on his youtube channel (Bluebearflutes). Awesome resource for flute making.

You can also make a complete functional flute with the CW fairly easily. I did not because I wanted the woodworking challenge.

Regardless, I hope to take a stab at making one. They are a whole lot of fun to make.

Today I am working on totem designs. :)

oscarl48
05-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Wanted to show off my blinged out flute. Ordered some painted feathers and my wife had some semi-precious cabochons she let me use. Doesn't make the flute sound any better but it really brings out the brown in my eyes. lol. I know that made no sense.

Also some of the totem designs I've been making. Haven't carved them except the hawk yet but we'll see which ones I really like when I am done. My wife wants the owl with the folded feathers for hers so that will be one for sure.

Also, my beautiful, wonderful wife looked at her flute and told me, "This is okay but you need to make me a flute in low C...or else, because that is my favorite and not this!" (she really didn't say that, but she did say, "what a beautiful flute" and then quietly put it away and then very nicely ask for one in low C.)

I am out of cedar so off to mill one of the slabs into usable lumber.

want2b
05-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately for me I'm not musical enough to begin to figure out how to change the pitch (I think) of a flute. Just know this one is beautiful. Good luck.
Rick H

oscarl48
05-12-2020, 06:35 PM
Rick, a little bit more to it but the main thing is the length of the flute. The longer the lower or deeper the fundamental note. The hole locations and size will then determine the individual notes available in the flute.

There are equations to figure out the hole locations but I went the simple way and purchased a book (Charlies flute making book) that lays out all that information based on the flute length (note of flute).

oscarl48
06-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Not sure if I'll submit to the pattern depot or just use it in my library but really enjoyed making this pattern today.

Gorilla at the door.

dbemus
06-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Another winner!! Love to see your work!

oscarl48
06-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Thanks. Its been a lot of fun playing with the software and pushing my creative boundaries. Finished this one today. Not sure if I'll ever carve but really happy with it.

Really needs to be a deep carve to bring out the detail. Designer says 3.5 hours for a 12"x12" and 1.25" depth carve.

want2b
06-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Really neat, enjoy each that you share. Your talent/abilities are definitely improving with the effort you put into this.
Thanks for sharing, Rick H

oscarl48
06-14-2020, 10:21 PM
Another one for my library. Wrought iron bar cross pattern made for my wife.

Rust texture taken proudly (actually embarrassingly) from one of my saws.

dbemus
06-15-2020, 03:17 PM
Oscar

That is a masterpiece!!!

oscarl48
06-27-2020, 10:33 PM
I tried something different. I laminated some maple on walnut. Had problems from the beginning.

My band saw is under powered and my blade is starting to get dull. So re-sawing the maple went poorly. I barely got 1/4 inch of stock after cutting and planing. Then I set the project dimensions too shallow for the pattern and not deep enough to remove the unwanted material. Lastly I had the maple wood orientation so the bit was slicing instead of cutting. A lot of long shavings clogging up my dust collector.

In the end I got something that is not as nice as I would have liked. The pattern really did come out great but my execution had a lot to ask for.

My wife loved it but I am not happy with myself. :(

want2b
06-28-2020, 06:00 AM
We're our worse critics. Hopefully it helps us improve on the finished products. A unique piece, have gotten to really like the laminate process.
Rick H

oscarl48
07-06-2020, 09:01 AM
I went back and re-carved the pattern paying better attention to the blank and carving depths. Super happy with these results.

mtylerfl
07-06-2020, 10:09 AM
That came out Super-nice!!

oscarl48
07-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Michael, thank you. I am glad I was able to get something that could show off the pattern. It is way better looking than the picture and my wife loved it so double happy.

dbemus
07-06-2020, 03:03 PM
I'm supper happy with the results too!!! Great work!

oscarl48
07-06-2020, 03:34 PM
lol, Thanks.

oscarl48
08-19-2020, 01:46 PM
My buddy wanted some custom trinket boxes to impress some lady friends so came up with these.

Eastern red cedar about 11" x 6" x 4".

dbemus
08-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Beautiful work!!!!

Dale
08-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Very nice Oscar!

mtylerfl
08-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Excellent, Oscar! They will be impressed!

oscarl48
08-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Thanks gents. They were fun patterns to make.