PDA

View Full Version : Colorized lithophane

fwharris
02-13-2016, 01:47 PM
This is a colorized lithophane carving back lighted with LED strip lights on battery power. Color transparency image on the back side of the carving. The box frame is hickory flooring

aokweld101
02-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Floyd, that is a fantastic carve, I would like to know how you done the lights... I give up on selling things, I make things for myself, It is now a hobby machine..

bergerud
02-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Do you mean you used a color printed (laser or ink jet) transparency behind the litho for the color?

fwharris
02-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Do you mean you used a color printed (laser or ink jet) transparency behind the litho for the color?

Yes that is what I used..

fwharris
02-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Floyd, that is a fantastic carve, I would like to know how you done the lights... I give up on selling things, I make things for myself, It is now a hobby machine..

Hope this helps you out. The only thing different is I have started painting the inside of the box white instead of using the foil tape.

dbemus
02-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Clever idea! Litho techniques are constantly evolving. I like the result. Thanks for sharing.

SharonB
02-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Fantastic results Floyd. Those should be a hot selling item.

oscarl48
02-13-2016, 03:31 PM
great looking lithophane.

Bigtyme
02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
What a great idea, Floyd and the results really look good....

fwharris
02-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments. Actually this idea/method has been around for quite a while now. It was shared several years ago and I have used on several occasions. The hardest part, for my at least, was getting the image to print out at the same size used in the litho. When trying to us a photo editing program it would always try to print it as a standard photo size, 8x10, 5x7 etc. I ended up importing the image into Word program and then sized to match the litho.

cestout
02-14-2016, 02:23 PM
If you don't have Word (kind of expensive if you don't use it often) any DTP (desk top publisher) program would work - maybe even better). Print Shop is not too expensive for example. And it can print your labels and tags for your products.
Al, you might get me into lithoing.
Clint

fwharris
02-14-2016, 02:51 PM
If you don't have Word (kind of expensive if you don't use it often) any DTP (desk top publisher) program would work - maybe even better). Print Shop is not too expensive for example. And it can print your labels and tags for your products.
Al, you might get me into lithoing.
Clint

True, any program that will let you import and size the image will work..

normrichards
02-15-2016, 01:16 AM
paint.net is a good free program for photo editing and printing.

fwharris
02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
paint.net is a good free program for photo editing and printing.

That was the first one I tried to print with and could not figure out how to get it to print out at the size I needed.

cestout
02-16-2016, 06:40 PM
I was going to say that Al. I use Paint.NET to fix up my pictures then for this I would use MS Pub or Print (or even word) shop the print it. I was thinking cost for those who don't regularly do this kind of stuff. I edit and publish a local newsletter and do other DTP stuff for the community plus the instructions to go with my projects in the store. Paint.NET is good for cropping and sizing pictures to import the 2D suite for tracing.
Clint