PDA

View Full Version : cut motor brushes

saylesj
02-09-2016, 02:59 PM
It seems like it is time for new cut motor brushes, has anybody found alternative sources? Any help would be great!

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't recommend going with a alternative source for a few reasons....

The cost of a new or refurbished motor is SO high, chancing the list below to save a few bucks... If you do a search on the topic over the years the answers have been on both sides of the fence. One guy came back after posting his find at ACE Hardware and a little sand paper with a story of total motor failure and a warning....

So the things that can go wrong....

Carbon harder or softer than LHR's version leading to problems.

The Spring and Tether copper wire could be too long letting the metal get into the spinning parts OR push TOO hard and wear out the spinning copper...

Spring TOO Loose letting heat build up and melt the plastic case at the brushes... Have seen at least a dozen pictures over the years with melted brush holders...

So that is my advice....

We are all adults, you may find a perfect fit or move the Spring and Tether. A failure could result in a Machine Fire..... I have a battery smoke detector above my machine and I watch it work in the shop next door with video and audio.

Good Luck,

AL who.

cestout
02-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't think LHR's price for brushes is all that bad, it is the shipping and being a shipper myself, that is reasonable. So order bushes before you need them along with the bits of whatever your need or might need soon. I live in a rural area and have to be sure to get everything I need when I shop and frequently do it on the way home from church of something to save time and gas.
Clint

lynnfrwd
02-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Last time we were out, it was because the company couldn't get them right and we had to keep sending them back. It is very important that they be the correct brushes.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Last time we were out, it was because the company couldn't get them right and we had to keep sending them back. It is very important that they be the correct brushes.

Considering the cost of the motor this is great advice...

normrichards
02-13-2016, 06:34 PM
I don't think LHR's price for brushes is all that bad, it is the shipping and being a shipper myself, that is reasonable. So order bushes before you need them along with the bits of whatever your need or might need soon. I live in a rural area and have to be sure to get everything I need when I shop and frequently do it on the way home from church of something to save time and gas.
Clint

I agree the prices of parts and accessory's are not bad, I do not like software pricing, and as someone who ships 3-4 items a day from online sales I think the shipping is too high. The industry wide model for online sales has changed over the last 10 years and free or low cost shipping is now the model. When actual shipping is $5 or less and you still charge $12 or more then it is too high. As a result I buy all I can from other vendors when ever possible. I also refuse to pad my order to somehow make shipping seem more reasonable. Those who suggest that only perpetuate the vendor to continue its practice of charging too much for shipping.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2016, 11:01 AM
I agree the prices of parts and accessory's are not bad, I do not like software pricing, and as someone who ships 3-4 items a day from online sales I think the shipping is too high. The industry wide model for online sales has changed over the last 10 years and free or low cost shipping is now the model. When actual shipping is $5 or less and you still charge $12 or more then it is too high. As a result I buy all I can from other vendors when ever possible. I also refuse to pad my order to somehow make shipping seem more reasonable. Those who suggest that only perpetuate the vendor to continue its practice of charging too much for shipping.

Who? AL Who?.... :) Guilty as charged... :)

Couldn't resist...

normrichards
02-15-2016, 01:13 AM
Who? AL Who?.... :) Guilty as charged... :)

Couldn't resist...

You are a great help to everyone on the forum, I do not mean to point fingers only to point out that giving extra sales is not a good way to encourage a bad practice to stop.

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2016, 12:12 PM
You are a great help to everyone on the forum, I do not mean to point fingers only to point out that giving extra sales is not a good way to encourage a bad practice to stop.

No harm done... We are all entitled to tell it like it is.... I tend to stand on my "Soap Box" more than most users here. It comes from a career in the Navy as a Senior Enlisted doing the Leadership thing... I may not always agree with everyone's opinion but that is what makes this place GREAT... A open flow of Ideas....

When I was on my last ship before retirement I had over 20 Technicians working for me. At "Quarters" one morning, that is where everyone lines up in ranks and listens to me put out the days info. I notice every Sailor had a Paper Clip on his shirt pocket. So I ask... Why the Paper Clip? One guy responds... We are showing our support for a Shipmate that has chosen to GET OUT of the Navy rather than Re Enlist. The Navy really put the pressure on the Tech's to stay in as it takes over a year to train them in Radar Schools. So I ask again... Paper Clip?.... Chief, it stands for.... People Against People Ever Reenlisting - Civilian Life Incentive Program....

Teamwork... Love it...

Too much coffee this morning... COLD..

AL