PDA

View Full Version : I didn't see it in the forum or manual

Sarge
03-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I uploaded a project the other night in Best (2 hrs, 40 ish min), I loaded the card in the machine, and decided to check the menu options. The cut quality was set at DEFAULT. I changed it to BEST. Now, that same project takes darned near 6 hours to carve, but it is extremely crisp and detailed!!!

rgant05
03-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Wow, wouldn't have expected that. I think although I haven't tried it, that default is what you selected when you uploaded your card. I may be wrong, but thats what I have assumed. Seems odd that it would take that much more to choose BEST at time of carving. Maybe someone will be able to shed some light on what default is. ( I don't know what the manual says.... haven't seen it in weeks LOL)

what kind of wood was it and do you have any pics of how it came out of the machine?

Sarge
03-17-2007, 12:45 AM
NOPE, I saved the carving to the card in BEST. Then, I checked the menu on the machine. It was set at DEFAULT. I changed it to BEST. This doubled my carving time and made it very detailed and crisp.

It was a nice clear piece of Sapele. Almost like Hawaiian Koa.

Kenm810
03-17-2007, 05:51 AM
I seem to remember someone posting about always carving at Best Setting.
So I just did a quick search on the forum and
found a page full of posts threads about (Quality Settings)

Ken

Sarge
03-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I know, but I've only been doing that in Designer. I hadn't change the machine settings. When I did, it doubled my carve time and it seemed to be crisper and more detailed. I would imagine that alot of others haven't checked the setting on the machine (Press 0, then arrow through them until you get to the Quality setting.) I'll bet it says "DEFAULT"!!!!!!!

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Good TIP !!! Thanks !!!! Didn't know that.

AL

Gman_Ind
03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for sharing this, I have seen the quality setting during export to card but not in the machine menu. But I only had mine working for about 1.5 hours before it died. I will go through the menus more indepth when I receive the new replacement CC. I as a bit disappointed with the cut set to best in the software (only). I really don't plan on spending too much time manually cleaning up a CNC carving.

CallNeg151
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
This is one of those instances where a staff member from CarveWright would be useful on the boards, because it raises an interesting question about how the quality settings work in the software versus the machine. Is it supposed to work this way, or has Sarge just discovered a useful bug (that may go away in later versions)?

Cliff
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Each time I've carved and set it up for Best in the upnload to card it has shown up as Best on the CW display except for once when I forgot to set it up on the flash card then it read default.

Cliff

mtylerfl
03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Each time I've carved and set it up for Best in the upnload to card it has shown up as Best on the CW display except for once when I forgot to set it up on the flash card then it read default.

Cliff

That's been my experience too - save the Project to the card at "Best" setting - the machine automatically displays "Best" setting also.

I use version 1.115 of Designer. Maybe Sarge is using another version that requires additional user input to manually change the machine setting from "default" to "best"?? I dunno.

Jeff_Birt
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I think you can select a 'default' setting tht the machine will always try to use (i.e. it will 'default' to Draft, Normal, Best) The setting is in the options menu somewhere.

Sarge
03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
The machine has four setting variables. DEFAULT, DRAFT, NORMAL and BEST. I just happened to be curious how many hours I had on the machine. I saw the different settings and decided to change the setting to BEST. I had saved the project to BEST quality on the card. I swear to GOD, it doubled the carving time and there was no need to sand anything. It was beautiful.:cool: I'm running 1.1120 on hte Designer and card.

Kenm810
03-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Sarge,
An’t it great when these machines do what we hope they’ll do!

By the way Sears says there back in stock.

Sarge
03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I didn't think I was hallucinating!!!!! :-P

Re: Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
Ken,
Did you check the settings on your machine?? Did you run a comparison? I'm not smoking canine fecal matter, it worked that way on my machine.

Sarge,
You’ve got it totally right. It does nearly double the carve time. Like a lot quirks and tricks on these machines are over looked or found by accident. For me I’ll caulk up to just another part of the learning curve.
Thanks

cajunpen
03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Sarge, I spoke to Chris at CW today and asked about the Best setting. I, like you, stumbled upon it a couple of days ago and was curious about what it was for. Chris said that you can change it to Best - but at this time it won't actually make any difference and that the next time you turn the CW on it will reset itself back to the "Default" setting. Chris said that the option selection on the machine is for something in the Future. Now, you have to select your carving quality when you upload to the card. I haven't tried to carve anything with the Best setting selected yet - so I don't know, just passing on what Chris said. Happy carving!

rjustice
03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
First off, I am a relatively new user of the machine (about a week now).. My background is 26 Years of 2D & 3D CNC programming and running of the equipment, in the Plastic Injection Mold Making business... I must say, as soon as i saw the Sears commercial, I was saying out loud that "This is a must have for me"... While the machine lacks somewhat in "industrial" quality and accuracy... I am very impressed with the results. The software is incredibly intuitive. I had my first carving cutting about 45 minutes after i got the machine home from Sears.

Now, with all that said. I was reading the posts about the quality changing by the way you upload the file from Designer... I have allowed the sofware to automatically load 1.119 Designer, and firmware, and my machine does not change automatically. I was a little dissapointed in the scallop height of the finish product, until I too stumbled upon the setting on the machine itself. It does stay modal... so when you power it off and back on, it remembers where you had it set last. It is correct that it close to doubles the time of the carving, but the results are major different... especially in softer woods like poplar. I have pretty much quit using the pine as it sucks. Cherry is great, maple is great, I have some very seasoned Oak that is incredible (at least 125 years old). It seams to be better in the hardwoods too, but much more noticable in the poplar.

I really appreciate this site, and thank everyone that has input valuable info. It has shortened the learning curve to a fraction of what it could have been...

Happy carving to all !!!

Dan-Woodman
03-29-2007, 06:05 PM
check the website for updates 1.12 is the latest.

forqnc
03-30-2007, 08:10 AM
check the website for updates 1.12 is the latest.

Dan it's 1.20, you must have made a typo, right. :p :)

pkunk
03-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Dan it's 1.20, you must have made a typo, right. :p :)
Check again. It's 1.120, unless I'm not connected to the internet.:p

forqnc
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Check again. It's 1.120, unless I'm not connected to the internet.:p

OOps, slips away with egg on his face

rjustice
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok.. I could have sworn that i did 2 projects and shut the machine off between them and it kept the "Best" quality setting on the machine... but after doing 4 carvings today, I have had to re-set the quality every time i shut the machine off. It doesnt retain that setting after power down. I wish it would, as i forgot to change it once and ended up with a carving that wasnt as nice as it could have been... anyway if you are looking for the best the machine can produce, dont forget to change it after you turn the machine on each time.:rolleyes:

Ron

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Ahh another good tip, What is the <<default>> setting for? when I chose it and selected best from the export menu the machine flashed the project being run on Beast setting as it prepared to carve, is <<default>> reading the file setting? and the machine quality setting overrides the software settings if a profect was saved at Best and I antred to run a quick test I could override withthe display panel, food for thought.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Gman, if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that if the machine is set to <Default> it is reading the "Best Bit optimization" setting from designer and giving you the best quality that the machine is capabile of ??? This is a very good question. Mine is changing back to <Normal> every time it is shut down i think. It is running right now or i would check it... but it would be nice if we could make it retain whatever setting we want to use.. <Best> is definately easier to clean up before finishing... I simply use a stiff scrub brush and it looks pretty decent except for the scalloping around the text...

Ron