PDA

View Full Version : Letters

Glenda
02-06-2016, 09:03 PM
How to cut a 1 1/2 in thick letter completely out. Is that possible?

fwharris
02-07-2016, 12:45 PM
The maximum cut out depth is 1". Your options would be to either carve the letters out as pierced using the long 1/8" bit or using the out line feature and assign a bit to scribe the letter path and then cut them out with a scroll saw or cut two 3/4" letters and glue them up to make 1 1/2" letter.

SteveNelson46
02-07-2016, 01:51 PM
How to cut a 1 1/2 in thick letter completely out. Is that possible?

Glenda

This is an example of what Floyd is talking about. Really thin tails on the letters will probably break off so your choice of fonts can really make a big difference. Grain direction may be a factor also.

As Floyd said, you will need the long 1/8" carving bit and Designer Version 3.

Glenda
02-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Can you explain the piercing and can you buy a 2 inch bit?

Digitalwoodshop
02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
I would cut out a hardboard pattern and trace it on the 1.5 inch wood and rough cut it out bigger on a band saw. Then double stick tape the pattern on top and use a guided router bit to finish it up.

AL

Glenda
02-13-2016, 10:59 AM
So what if I cut letter .75 and do a flip cut .75 and do center tabs? Is that even an option? And what kind of sled or carrier would I use to not waste board? TIA

Glenda
02-13-2016, 11:01 AM
In the carvewright?

Glenda
03-06-2016, 01:44 PM
How would I go about doing a cutout with shapes or letter with 1/4wood?

fwharris
03-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Mount the 1/4" wood on top of another board. Make sure you set the board thickness in designer as 1/4" .

SteveNelson46
03-06-2016, 05:46 PM

With the object to be cut out selected, use the "Outline pattern(s)" tool" (Tools, Outline Patterns) to create a path around the perimeter. Select the path that it creates then select the "Cut Path Tool" from the Tools menu. In that dialogue box you can select the size of the bit to use and which side of the line for the bit to cut on. Selecting the 1/16" cutting bit has some advantages and disadvantages. It will make tighter radius cuts on the inside corners but it's limited to a cut depth of 1/4" thick or less. If you select it, be sure to set the maximum cut depth per pass to 1/8" or less to avoid breaking the bit. Then do as Floyd suggested and mount the 1/4" thick material to another board. This is necessary because the minimum thickness for the Carvewright is 1/2". I usually use 1/2" MDF.

lawrence
03-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Cut each letter out twice from standard 3/4 material and then glue them together?

Lawrence

Glenda
03-07-2016, 11:02 PM
How do you mount on another board? And this would have tabs?

fwharris
03-08-2016, 12:45 AM

He is saying to cut out two of the letters and glue them together after you cut them out.

SteveNelson46
03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

There are several ways. The best is to use screws that will not interfere with the tracking, that are not in any area where a bit will cut and that are level with the surface. Another way is to use double sided tape but the good tape that holds the best will raise the board slightly. Some temporary glues may work also but I've never tried them.

From your question it sounds as though you don't completely understand the process. Essentially, all you are doing is securing two boards together to achieve an overall thickness that the machine can use. For simplicity, both boards should be the same size. Then only the top board is carved on and the bottom board is just to hold the top board in place. If you are using the Cut Path tool to cut out a part or pattern, the tabs will automatically be used to hold the carving on the top board in place as it finishes.

mtylerfl
03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

I wrote a Tips & Tricks showing how to cut "whatever you want" out of thin material (.25"-thick wood in this case). It is a simple process. Here is a link to the tutorial pdf:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept08.pdf