PDA

View Full Version : shopping list question

oscarl48
02-04-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm sad. Half way through a carve I paused my machine to clean some of the sawdust and when I pressed to continue the bit scraped along the cut path without the cut motor starting. Paused it, attempted to restart and then got an error. I don't remember what it was but is was an error I had not seen before but assumed it was dealing with the cut motor. My machine is just over 200 hours so I guess its maintenance time. Long story but my question is how important is it to replace the x/y roller bearings. I have had very little problem with them and they seem fine.

So far my shopping list includes:

y timing belt
cut motor brushes
y motor assembly
FCC cable (just so I can have a spare when needed)
2 roller bearings (for spares)

Is there anything else I may need or have to replace. I just relubed the flex cable 50 hours ago and running almost cool to the touch so no problems there.

Many thanks in advance. I've been doing a lot of test carvings so been using it more than normal. There some new designs I wanted to test out but guess I am in a strategic pause. :(

myshop1044
02-04-2016, 05:43 PM
On the bearing question, you should get a pair of the fixed and a pair of the cam bearings, the are different.
I keep a set of each for my self and or my friends in the area to share.

lynnfrwd
02-04-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm sad. Half way through a carve I paused my machine to clean some of the sawdust... :(

I hope this doesn't mean you stuck a vacuum hose in the machine while it was on.....static will fry your controller!!

aokweld101
02-04-2016, 05:53 PM
board sensor, x-gear assembly and the pivot assembly.... I have a little stock pile of parts, one never knows what will go wrong I have just got one machine running and need to get some parts for my other machine for it that I don't have.... I like spending your money....:D

oscarl48
02-04-2016, 06:07 PM
lol. off to spend some money. Thank you all.

Edit: Connie, I did use a vacuum but after the initial cut motor failure but I turned off the machine and after turning it back on the machine worked for a little bit before I got the same results so I am assuming its just the brushes. I am only 5 hours away from Houston so the humidity helps a little with the static though this cold front did dry us out a bit. I'll know more when I tear it apart.

I didn't see the board sensor so they may be out of stock for a little bit. I'll add it whenever I have to order something else. My pocket book is crying a little bit.

fwharris
02-04-2016, 06:13 PM
How did you pause the machine? Use the stop button or raised the clear cover?

oscarl48
02-04-2016, 06:25 PM
raised the cover.

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Could be a loose clear cover, loose right side Cut Motor safety switch too.

I would install a seat belt at next maintenance.... I have one on my left switch... Just tape installed with the cover up slightly and when down pulls the cover toward the switch.

AL

fwharris
02-04-2016, 06:40 PM
You should really use the stop button to pause a carving. Doing so tells the computer to pause all operations. Raising the cover the computer has to react to seeing the cover switches opened up to shut things down, plus the cut motor switch being 110V will cause the contacts to arc. This is probably why the cut motor did not start back up when you restarted the carve...

Also a good dust collection attachment will allow you to carve without stopping to clean out the machine! :)

oscarl48
02-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Thank you all for the great advice. Lol. I actually have a dust collection attachment. I just haven't installed it (its been sitting in my closet for over a year). Once I replace all these parts I'll install it.

bergerud
02-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Do the cut motor test and play a little with the cover to see if the problem was the right cover switch not closing.

oscarl48
02-04-2016, 07:09 PM
lol. Dan thanks. I will. I hope it isn't something simple like that. I just ordered all the piece parts.

(I know. I still need the piece parts)

P.S. Thanks for the help last night. I know it was an obvious solution for you but I have been so focused on learning blender that I really don't know designer very well. Trying to remedy that.

oscarl48
02-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Okay. I feel a little silly but another learning opportunity I guess. Got home early from work and ran all the tests. They all passed. So I relooked at the cut motor hours...125 hrs. I had incorrectly been looking at the total machine on time which was 200+hrs. So its probably not the motor. It may be a cover switch issue though I will still have to troubleshoot. Fault came up only after I lifted the cover to pause the machine both times. I did reset the computer by turning off the machine in-between.

I am going to take the opportunity to tear it apart, give it a nice deep cleaning, lube it up and install the dust collector. I am hoping to save the sign I was carving by re-carving it. You can see where it stopped the first time and then where it stopped on the second time. Sign will be 12"x24" when done.

oscarl48
02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
looks like it might have been the cover switch. Tore the machine apart and gave it a good cleaning and oiled all the moving parts. Installed the dust collector and did about 5 hours of carving today. Saved the sign but lost some of the detail trying to sand away the lines where the carve had stalled previously. I know I can recarve slightly deeper but I am happy with it. It was only a test carve for a draft pattern I am making (the dragon). I am pleased with the dragon scale background. Tomorrow I will cut some curves around the edge with the band saw, round over the edges and seal. It should be a lot of fun to paint.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Digitalwoodshop
02-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Good Job on the Maintenance and installing the Dust Collector. Very nice Artwork and Design.

AL

oscarl48
02-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Thank you. The dragon pattern still needs a little bit more work but its a good start.