PDA

View Full Version : Cutting EVA Foam?

elementdependent
03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used the machine to cut EVA foam? Or know if it would be possible. I would be grooving EVA foam around 6mm thick. Thanks for the feedback and help!

elementdependent
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Anyone have a guess? Sorry to be a bother, I just would like to know if anyone had any info if it will work with softer materials like EVA.

rgant05
03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
There has been a thread going for some time on sign board foam. I don't know if that is the same thing or not, but you might try finding that thread and checking with one of those guys. If you cant find it let me know and I will look for it

rgant05
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=2837&highlight=sign+board+foam

Like I say, I don't know if it is the same thing or not, but worth a look. Also, the main factor to consider is whether or not the speed of the bit would burn or melt the foam. If you can work it with a cutter in a dremel tool, I would say that there would be no problem with the carver.

HandTurnedMaple
03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
From my reading, its not similar to sign foam at all. It is a more rubberized foam (although no rubber in it) that is commonly used as shoe insoles, exercise mats, handle grips, and flotation devices. I would have concerns that it would melt and/or caught in the spinning bit.

If you do not already own a machine, I don't think you should buy one just for this medium because I am very skeptical of it. rgant's suggestion of testing with a dremel is good, but I would add to that by saying test it with a spiral cutting bit. A RotoZip-type tool would be even better.