PDA

View Full Version : FEBRUARY 2016 Project of the Month - The Pendant Finial Wall Sconce Pair

mtylerfl
01-31-2016, 10:46 PM
Hello,

This project is a pair of classic wall sconces with a decorative full-round pendant finial attached underneath each shelf for a touch of class! All components are machined from a single board for each wall sconce. Simply run the project twice to yield a pair of sconces.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. Each assembled sconce is about 4.75" wide x 16.75” long x 5" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Wall_Sconce.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions... Two Boards: 0.75" x 11" x 23"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Two 0.375" x 2.75" wooden dowels, a drill, glue, four #6 x 1" wood screws

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on the Pendant Finial Sconce samples made from Select Pine:

• Applied Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Wheat
• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray

dbemus
02-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Very attractive project Michael! Hope to be carving them before the week is over! Thanks for your great projects!
dbemus

sunmiztres
02-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Beautiful project. Great job Michael!

mtylerfl
02-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Thank you! I'm looking at mine and am thinking I may do some Tole painting on the back panels if I can decide what to paint (maybe flowers?). Plenty of opportunity for customization on this project.

It amazes me how well the finials came out - they really look like they were turned on a lathe or carved with the rotary - but no - they are simply two halves glued together to form the full-round. Boy, do I love my CarveWright machines!