PDA

View Full Version : Challenge coin display box

oscarl48
01-17-2016, 06:11 PM
I saw this concept on a website and thought what a great idea.

I made it my own by using wooden hinges and the inside bottom is carved with my old Air Force specialty badge.

The box measure's 5"x10"x5". The top is slotted to display the challenge coins. Only glue and dowels holding the box together. I have the first coat of poly on now. 3 to 4 more coats to go but wanted to show off. I am really pleased on how it came out. The execution came out really close to what I had envisioned. The hinge brackets were cut with the CW. I only had to redo one of them. The CW lost track on the last one and cut it weird. Still only about like 3 out of 10 times on getting a perfect cut. The board had a very slight twist so I know why it lost track. The hinge brackets look great so no real complaints and made some extras for next time.

Learning how to do 3d animation as well. The video is what I was going for. I think it came out close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZidrpL3TY8

Made my own black walnut wooden dowels today for this use. The hinge pin was supposed to be across the box but as I was forcing it through it snapped in the middle so cut it down to the edge of the hinges. I think it looks good this way as well.

dbemus
01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Beautiful box! I like the wooden hinges, they set it off nicely. Great work!

oscarl48
01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Thank you. I really like these quick little projects.

I had to set up a small photo studio for some of my wife's artwork so to the opportunity to take pictures of the display box. I am really happy with the hinge design and having the CW cut them for me instead of using the band saw or scroll say made my life a little easier.

sunmiztres
01-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Beautiful. Great Idea and Love the Hinges as well. Great job.

dbemus
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
After seeing the new photos of the hinges, I have added the idea to my "to do list" I really like that box!

oscarl48
01-28-2016, 05:06 PM
I took the coin holder to work and it was a huge success. Everyone had really nice things to say and the hinges were a great hit.

Keep an eye in the pattern sharing section. I'll post the plans and hinge pattern this weekend. I received some really great critiques. The box should be a little shorter and I didn't show it but the carving I put on the floor of the box should be on the top so it can be seen every time you open the box. The project will need a table saw, drill, and of course the CW to make the hinges a simple affair.

DickB
01-29-2016, 07:58 AM
The board had a very slight twist so I know why it lost track. Are you using a sled?

oscarl48
01-29-2016, 10:14 AM
No sled. It was only a very slight twist so I thought I could get away with it. I almost did too. Only one out of the six hinge parts was messed up.

DickB
01-29-2016, 10:45 AM
There are several reasons that I recommend using a sled. There is less waste of wood as there is no need to add 7". The wood can be slightly warped or not perfectly square and still machine well. A sled may also facilitate more accurate cuts. As bergerud has demonstrated, the machine may abandon use of the brass roller for x tracking due to vibration. I use sleds with 1" rails, which keeps the cutting bit away from the brass roller and adds some mass which I believe may dampen vibration from the cutting bit to the brass roller. I believe the Universal Carrier Base does also.