PDA

View Full Version : 3 New Carvings I've been working on.

kcc2012
01-17-2016, 02:25 AM
Back up and carving. 3 down and about 75 to go. Trying to get enough to sale.

henry1
01-17-2016, 05:42 AM
wow that is nice were you find those pattern like it

Bigtyme
01-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Just beautiful, kcc....very nice work!!

oscarl48
01-17-2016, 07:49 AM
beautiful pieces but wonderful painting on them.

Rocketman
01-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Why would you want to paint them? I'd maybe use some colored stains or dyes at most so you can still see it was carved out of wood. I can see if you carved an inverted pattern and used it as a plaster mold, then you could make copies and would need to paint them to seal the plaster. To each his own, no two artists would create the same thing.

They remind me of the plaster works in the basilica I visited weekly growing up in Dyersville,Iowa.

dbemus
01-17-2016, 04:00 PM
They all are masterpieces! I think the wood grain stands out nicely in all of them. What is the wood and finished used if you don't mind sharing. Very good choice in finish.

rcdages
01-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Very very nice.... Great work !!!!!

kcc2012
01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
In Iconography the halos are always gold so I use gold leaf on them and the Icon of St. Sophia and her daughters I decided to paint the cornor pieces of the frame gold because I thought the accent was nice. Other wise they are all just stained.

Why would you want to paint them? I'd maybe use some colored stains or dyes at most so you can still see it was carved out of wood. I can see if you carved an inverted pattern and used it as a plaster mold, then you could make copies and would need to paint them to seal the plaster. To each his own, no two artists would create the same thing.

They remind me of the plaster works in the basilica I visited weekly growing up in Dyersville,Iowa.

kcc2012
01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
They all are masterpieces! I think the wood grain stands out nicely in all of them. What is the wood and finished used if you don't mind sharing. Very good choice in finish.

The Valaam Icon of the Theotokos which is the solid color one is carved out of Fir as well as the St. Sophia and her daughters the round one is out of pine. I have been experimenting with applying the first few lawyers of varnish by hand and rubbing it in and then I will coat it with a spray varnish. So far I am happy with the results. Its a little more time consuming but it comes out nice also I don't get as much dust in the final coat of varnish doing it this way.

kcc2012
01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
wow that is nice were you find those pattern like it

I buy them from Russian companies. Also my oldest son and my youngest have gifted me some for Christmas I'm not sure where they got there's.

Rocketman
01-18-2016, 07:26 PM

I must have been tired when I read one of the comments; I thought they were suggesting you paint them. I love the gold leaf accent work. Something you don't see much of these days. My grandfather was a sign painter and I used to watch him touch up statues from the town Basilica. He would air brush parts, hand brush paint parts and touch up the accents with gold leaf when I was a kid in the 60's. Sometimes he would refinish an antique picture frame or old clock with gold leaf for a local patron.

I too love the way you finished them with the subtle accents, old world style.

Brad

loretta_byerly
01-18-2016, 07:57 PM
They are all gorgeous!! So, the other 75, will they be different or the same patterns? I'm still a newbie and struggling for days on one design, I can't imagine having to come up with 75 at this point!!

kcc2012
01-19-2016, 01:49 AM
They are all gorgeous!! So, the other 75, will they be different or the same patterns? I'm still a newbie and struggling for days on one design, I can't imagine having to come up with 75 at this point!!

They will all be different. I've got them almost ready to be put on the card and carved now I just have to wait for some more money to get more wood. I wont be doing very many in fir at least not at $18.00 a foot I have one big project to finish and after that I'll be free to carve what I want.

sunmiztres
01-19-2016, 09:34 AM
You did a beautiful job. The look wonderful!

dbemus
01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks on the info on the finishing technique. I didn't pick up on the "3 down and 75 to go" , too busy looking at your beautiful work. Very ambitious project, but I am sure you enjoy it!

loretta_byerly
01-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Wow! Would love to see more of them when you get them done ;)

kcc2012
01-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Thank you I appreciate the compliments. I'm trying to get as much carved while I can so hopefully at the next Christmas bazaar I can have some for sale.

JLT
01-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Really nice! The gold leaf accents really make the carving pop...

allenjones
01-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Great work, I love the finish.