PDA

View Full Version : Y belt concerns

saylesj
01-16-2016, 02:41 PM
My original Y belt on my A machine lasted me several years the last belt was just put on at the beginning of last summer and it has already shredded itself, I do regular maintenance on the machine using an air compressor to bow out any sawdust etc.

Is there any tricks to help make the belt last longer or any possible causes that you can think of for the belt being torn apart? I also wanted to check and see if anybody maybe knows of an alternate belt source? Shipping from carvewright is outrageous considering a small flat rate box is $6 from USPS

fwharris
01-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Over tightening and getting any lubes on the belts will add to premature failures.

normrichards
01-18-2016, 02:47 PM
My original Y belt on my A machine lasted me several years the last belt was just put on at the beginning of last summer and it has already shredded itself, I do regular maintenance on the machine using an air compressor to bow out any sawdust etc.

Is there any tricks to help make the belt last longer or any possible causes that you can think of for the belt being torn apart? I also wanted to check and see if anybody maybe knows of an alternate belt source? Shipping from carvewright is outrageous considering a small flat rate box is $6 from USPS

Welcome to the (shipping is TOOO HIGH! ) complainers club. One day they may realize what an issue this really is. I also refuse to "buy extra stuff to save on shipping" because it encourages the practice. Hopefully you will find a belt elsewhere but I do not think I have ever seen anyone find those belts available anywhere else.

cestout
01-22-2016, 01:39 PM
I haven't been here on the forum much for several months because I got discovered on a website and have been swamped with sign orders mostly and have been shipping them all over the country. So I know about packing and shipping and, although I would like to pay LHR less for shipping, I can't really complain about the cost. You really get hit if a dimension of your package is over 12".
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Clint,

Great web page....

AL