PDA

View Full Version : Darn drones

liquidguitars
01-15-2016, 09:27 PM
I been having a lot of fun making drones with Designer software Designer lets you quickly make thin shell body's then carve them! bigger ones export using Sculptor for larger machines. I only wish Designer had a wider job size to fit the big rigs.

DickB
01-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Cool! What material are you using?

liquidguitars
01-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Right now I am using maple and for the bigger ones I use 1" MDF. I hoping to do some Vacuum press soon.

liquidguitars
01-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Anything over 14" needs to be off center then saved to Lightwave or other 3D software to mirror. Here is what it looks like the job size is 15 wide. I think this could be a good class project.

DickB
01-16-2016, 07:19 AM
So these are 2-sided carves? How thin is "thin"?

Rocketman
01-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Cool! Is the 14" limit a Designer limit or just a Carvewright machine limit? I'd be very tested to draw that with the tools that came with the basic Designer. If you draw within the 14" limit, could you export as a STL file and import into an external program where it can be scaled to any size you like? FreeCad comes to mind as a cheap way to do it and if it starts getting too angular you can increase the triangulation.

I've been tempted to buy some cheaper fpv transmitters and flight controllers from Banggood.com and build something larger than the midgets I've been flying. With the free shipping it's hard to say no to the advertisements in my mail.

fwharris
01-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Looks great, but can the play music? ;)

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Nice work "LiquidDrones".... :)

liquidguitars
01-16-2016, 12:40 PM
So these are 2-sided carves? How thin is "thin"?

Yes two sided around 1/8 thick once you make the top all is needed is to copy the top puff to the back side, invert the shape then using the cut tool you can check the thickness as a cross section.

liquidguitars
01-16-2016, 12:49 PM
The max you can set in y in the software is 15" however that will give you 14" to 16" propeller spacing if done like the pattern above... that's a large quad overall as normal props are around 8"

If you draw within the 14" limit, could you export as a STL file and import into an external program where it can be scaled to any size you like?

yes the STL that Designers makes are fine scaling them up is not a big issue but i like to stay 1:1 if i can.

Bangood is fine I not had any issues ordering with them.

In a way finding all the parts is part of the fun. Overall the cost in not bad once you pay for the radio I running the spectrum.

liquidguitars
01-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Nice work "LiquidDrones".... http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Hmm not a bad name...

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Hmm not a bad name...

It's the first thing I thought.... Liquiddrones....

Continue the Excellent tradition mastering and excelling in many formats...

Just a thought..... could you design them in 5 parts.... HUGE Body and 4 Motor parts.... Within the CW 14 inches?

AL

I would buy the Liquiddrones dot com

The first thing I did was buy PoconoDigitalFlyboxes dot com when the idea hit me... Could help with marketing someday.

Rocketman
01-16-2016, 03:45 PM
The spectrum's are nice. I bought a cheap CT6 to get back into modeling after getting out back in the 70's. So much has changed since I was a kid in the 60's learning to fly line control and my grandfathers rc aircraft. A four channel radio system back then had a fraction of the features and would set you back $500.00 dollars U.S.. A large sum of money back then.

Have you you seen the Video showing a hundred or so drones flying in formation and putting on a light show? It set a new world record for drones.

Rocketman
01-16-2016, 04:29 PM
I found the drone formation video again on Gizmag.com

A couple of photos from my childhood box of memories I still have. In the box are a couple of "bleep box" radio transmitters. An old Orbit radio servo. An escapement rubber band powered radio receiver. A couple of spare heads from Cox .15 and .020 engines. The old radio handbook was in it's fourth printing and was from 1957, it was my grandfathers. We have come a long way since then at least in cost.

You mentioned vacuum casting. Did you mean vacuum forming or vacuum casting? Vacuum casting is usually used for metals and the vacuum former I have is used for plastics. It was common when I was a kid for modelers to carve a balsa canopy and put it in a vacuum former with a sheet of plastic. When it got hot enough to start drooping you would turn on the vacuum and drop the plastic down to the top of the canopy form. The vacuum would pull through the holes in the base, sucking the sheet of plastic tight around your model. They used to make rc car bodies the same way.

oscarl48
01-16-2016, 05:16 PM
So many hobbies. so little time. Arrrggggh.

Very nice gents!

JLT
01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Nice LG... and a product that can deliver itself! ; -) I'm guessing the reference to the vacuum press is to use the CW to make a carbon fiber / resin form, in order to create strong, but light bodies...

liquidguitars
01-19-2016, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing the reference to the vacuum press is to use the CW to make a carbon fiber / resin form,

Yes I have the pump but man i do not want to make carbon dust when cutting the details what a mess... so a slip form could be cleaner....

cestout
01-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Why can't you do a larger one in 2 pieces and glue it together like a large sign?
Clint

liquidguitars
01-22-2016, 06:35 PM
That will work. The shells are thin .125" I would need to add a cleat or two down the joint, that would allow bigger sizes for sure on the CW!

SteveEJ
01-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Or do an "X" with a overlapping joint on the middle. You can make any size you want that way! The grain would be length wise for strength as well.

liquidguitars
02-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Here is a new one that runs 10" propellers.

SteveEJ
02-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Looks like a FPV. Is that a GoPro? What is the flight weight? Very cool!

You ever check out the Flite Test web site? They use/build/fly drones a lot. www.flitetest.com (http://www.flitetest.com)

liquidguitars
02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
It's a little large for FVP standard size for fvp is 250, 5" props this one is around 550 size with 10" props. Yes I running a gopro with a nice gimble.

The Flite test site is very cool.

This body is a little heavy in thickness however I took a crash yesterday and it was fine after.

cestout
02-11-2016, 03:08 PM
LG (of LD),
Where do you get the hardware?
Clint

Kix
04-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Hmm very interesting, the boy 11 year old took up a school project to build a rig for carrying a smartphone on a drone. My boy is thinking was that everyone has a smartphone, but not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on a gimble to carry a go pro. So now of course this is starting to land in my lap. The drones that you can get that are affordable won't provide enough lift to carry a smartphone. Which is why they have small cameras. Duh. I'm helping him write his report as a failure, and that its okay to fail, and he should have thought about why the manufacturers do it that way in the first place.

Anyone know now where I can find plans for remote control planes, just the balsa that you cut out?

Dale
04-01-2016, 08:17 PM
For model airplane plans try here: www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx

Durtdawber
04-02-2016, 03:06 PM
What flight contrller do you use?

Kix
04-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much!

Kix
04-03-2016, 01:29 PM
What flight contrller do you use?

We havent gotten that far yet, just playing some rtf stuff, but t grampa has some 17 plans and uses shutaba.