PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Large Lettering

Lin
01-12-2016, 04:34 PM
I have carved a few items since dusting off my machine. Mostly x-mas gifts for my older children. I did them all a personalized "Kitchen Sign". I now have someone asking if I could carve the word "VIKINGS" on a 2" x 6" that is 5 foot long. They are building a workbench type table for their son and the "Vikings" are his favorite team. My question is...can I carve something that long without rollers to support the board and what font(s) would work out well with centerline with the lettering being 4" to 4.5" tall or should I be using outline lettering with a 3/8" bit? Which ever style what fonts should I be using for lettering that large. They will want a block type lettering I figure. I don't cursive won't look very good in all caps. If using outline what is the best depth for the lettering? And how much on each pass? I have never carved lettering this large before. The board will be pine I believe and will be stained dark before I carve it so the lettering will have high contrast to the background. I also am working on a "Viking Head" pattern to be scrolled from 1/8" Baltic Birch for each end of the piece. If it all works out I will post a pick of the board and table if the customer send me a pic of the finished product.
Thanks for any and all feedback.
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
01-12-2016, 07:25 PM
I have done some bigger letters.

The Brown signs are 1 x 6 hard pine and done in OUTLINE Mode with a 3/8 inch end mill flat bottom bit using MODERN Font a single stroke font.

Looks just like the plastic router guide.

Just in case they ask you to cut out some letters...here is how I did it.... To size on one board one letter at a time them group them on another board to save material. Outline the text and used cut path. Used PVC Board and the building mock up was for the Zoning Officer.

AL

DocWheeler
01-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Unless you specify Bold, most (squared) fonts produce centerline routes less than 3/4", so that should be good without leaving the ridge in the middle.

Lin
01-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Al and Ken,
So should I be using centerline or outline with a block style fonts that will be almost 4.5" tall? Or is outline the better way to go. Is the 3/8" straight bit that I purchased from CW the right bit to use for this application and what would be the max depth per pass.....I put in .225 and it doesn't give me an option for the max depth per pass...its in the red, that is using outline with "Modern" font? Remember I am still using 1.153 if that makes a difference. Customer supplying the wood. Want to get it right the first time.
Thanks
Lin

Al. Thanks for the info on the cut outs...I would use my scrollsaw to cut out lettering even up to 2' tall ones. Quick and easy and smooth cuts. I have done a few like it in the past...but good info for all to know.

Lin
01-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Just downloaded the NFL Vikings Font.....won't work for center line but looks like I could outline the letters with it. Still want to know if the 3/8" I have will be ok to use and how to et depth of pas so I can get it around .250 on the depth?
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
01-14-2016, 06:22 PM
With the Outline Mode as you increase the size of the letters the center starts to show then you need to go with a bigger diameter bit. And if you go smaller you can use a smaller bit... With bigger, you can always take out the center with a Vector Line or use a hand router.

I did .1 depth or .15 to get to .25. The Bit must have a bottom cutter... The CW 3/8 bit I had from my "A" Machine bit set had a bottom cutter missing the very center so plunge cuts needed to be very slow.

AL

Lin
01-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Al,
Using the 3/8" bit I have from Carvewright, please look at the MPC file attached and tell me if this will carve ok. The light board will be stained dark first so the raised lettering will work out well for him. Couldn't remember/figure out how to set depth of pass to go any deeper than what it shows. Will I end up with a small line from the center of that bit to carve out afterwards? And if so how do I do it? The bit kinda looks like it may leave a line. I am in the learning process again as I have more or less forgotten what I did know concerning the CW. Not using it for several years will do that....lol
Thank you for all your help
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2016, 12:11 PM
I believe it will carve great.... I selected the bit again and multi pass set to .1 deep. You can add vector lines and assign the same bit and depth and multi pass to clean up the center.

AL