PDA

View Full Version : Here some signs

RC Woodworks
03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I was able to make some signs with my third machine this week. Today it kept stopping and displayed check motor. I would and press enter and it would go for a while more. I did notice on the bit motor the bottom left pulley wheel screw was loose. The problem is it will not tighten. Oh well boo hooo I hope I can finish up one more project!

Now 2 of the signs I hand routed splash and Paityn. The other were made with the CC.

I was wondering does anyone know the name of the font on the sign Splash? I have stencils that my uncle gave me. I always called it standard but when I searched standard nothing close.

So please if anyone knows the name of this font please share!

rgant05
03-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Really nice signs and nicely finish. The UT Martin signs caught my eye as I live about 70 miles from Martin. I'll look though some font listings and see if I can find the name of that one font.

CW Rookie
03-16-2007, 07:23 AM
I was able to make some signs with my third machine this week.

Great looking signs and I too am curious about the wood and finish, especially on the Sealana's Villa sign???? What type of paint do you recommend for the lettering and suggestions on sequence of application - paint then stain??

The final finish on everyone's work appears so clean, I'm wondering how much sanding is done?? I've only worked with pine so far and it ends up on the rough side if not sanded.

Geesh, my woodworking supply cabinet is quickly expanding with Gel Stains, Waterbased stains, and many of the products you guys recommend - my old container of Tung Oil and paint pens now have company!! (Finishing supplies, more bits, carver stand, DC system, wood . . . think the initial CW purchase was just the tip of the iceberg, shhhh!!)

menewfy
03-16-2007, 07:25 AM
left bottom wheel problem

I had this issue just the other day it is not a bad fix but you need to contact cw for the part. do not try to get it off or tighten too much as you will do as i did and strip the screw(hate those star screws) anyway the left side is the fixed side which is why you cant get it to tighten. they will walk you thru it after you get the part. Your OH WELL attitude may cause more damage than it is worth so I would reccomend stopping til you get it fixed. and btw when you order the part ask them for a skinny wrench for the adjustable side, it will make life so much easier.

good luck

Kenm810
03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
WC Rookie

It does accumulate fast – Better living through Chemistry

Ken

Bill
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
RC,
Very nice indeed, well done ;)

RC Woodworks
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
CW, I use reclaimed old growth redwood and not stain. My finish is a water based polyurethane I spray on. No sanding in between. The finish is $50.00 a gallon but well worth it. It is called Hydrocote by Hood finishing. www.hydrocote.com

As forth to amount of sanding I do on the wood.. I plane it and go over it with 80 grit and finish it! The paint I use can be craft paint from Walmart to outdoor house paint. With this finish you need to seal the paint with an oil based clear. Not too much or the water base finish will peel. I use a 97 cent can of clear from Walmart. This seals the paint since it is water based and so is the finish. They tend to bleed or if not all the way dry it will darken the color.

I have other examples on my site www.rcwoodworksonline.com all these signs I have carved by hand

RC Woodworks
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
rgant, UT Martin rodeo coach asked me to donate some signs for an upcoming auction. So I checked them out and it was on the real so I made them 6 signs

MrUserfriendly
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Are you going to post the actual files so others can use those files as a base to make other images?

RC Woodworks
03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
MrUserfriendly, what files are you referring to? The fonts or UT Martin logos?

RC Woodworks
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Menewfy, I tried to loosen that nut with my skinny wrench under the guidance of a CW tech but it would not budge. So back for repair it goes UGH!!!!!!

I know I swore if this 3rd machine breaks that's it!!! But this is just a small problem so I will give it another chance! The wait is what kills me!!!!

MrUserfriendly
03-16-2007, 03:40 PM
RC,

I mean the MPC files you used to make the fine images you posted thumbnails of. You said that 2 of them were hand-carved. But the others were done using your CarvWright - correct?

RC Woodworks
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes 2 I hand carved splash and Paityn, why would you want the other? I was e-mailed the logo from UT Martin for their auction, I donated to.

I guess if you want them just tell me how to convert them to mpc files well post it