PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor

raye321
01-05-2016, 07:53 AM
I replaced the board sensor, placed a work piece in and checked the sensor reading before running a project. It would not go above 100. The board is a lighter color (tan). What should a new board sensor read? I removed it, cleaned it, blew out the inside etc. which I did before replacing the new on. Still the same readings.

lynnfrwd
01-05-2016, 09:23 AM
I replaced the board sensor, placed a work piece in and checked the sensor reading before running a project. It would not go above 100. The board is a lighter color (tan). What should a new board sensor read? I removed it, cleaned it, blew out the inside etc. which I did before replacing the new on. Still the same readings.

Is your head pressure too low?

bergerud
01-05-2016, 09:41 AM
The standard test is to use white paper on the board. You should get around 150 with the paper.

fwharris
01-05-2016, 10:51 AM
With a reading of 100 are you getting any errors?

raye321
01-05-2016, 02:32 PM
With a reading of 100 are you getting any errors?

No I'm not getting any errors. I checked the head pressure, initially it was about 40-50lbs. I lubed the posts but couldn't get much more out of it. If I placed my hand on the top of the head as I lowered it, not putting much pressure on it, it showed 85-90lbs. I haven't used the machine for a while so maybe if I keep raising and lowering the head it will increase the pressure without pushing on it. What else can I do to increase pressure?

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
No I'm not getting any errors. I checked the head pressure, initially it was about 40-50lbs. I lubed the posts but couldn't get much more out of it. If I placed my hand on the top of the head as I lowered it, not putting much pressure on it, it showed 85-90lbs. I haven't used the machine for a while so maybe if I keep raising and lowering the head it will increase the pressure without pushing on it. What else can I do to increase pressure?

To increase your pressure you can do a clean and lube of the 2 Jacking Screws and 4 Smooth posts that the machine head rides up and down on.

My theory is that when dust and grease or lube dries out or gets COLD when your hand crank starts to click, it is actually taking in account the FRICTION in the parts I mentioned and thus SUBTRACTING from the pressure that is actually felt at the board.

I have found that If I run some penetrating oil down the 4 smooth posts from the top of the head to FLUSH and LOOSEN old dust and lube making sure to CATCH AND CLEANUP that waste oil doing one rail at a time moving the head up and down. This will RESTORE the correct pressure where you take out the friction and the clicker see's the board pressure only.

Just my 2 cents... Remember to clean up the oil as sawdust and oil are a fire hazard.

Use what ever lube you like.... I actually use chain lube... Works for me... others have favorites... like dry lube....

And check head for LEVEL TOO as a tilted head can have friction just like dust because you are twisting the long head bearings on the 4 smooth posts.

To check head level I just call up Z Data and with a bit touch both sides of the board looking at the numbers..

Good Luck

AL

fwharris
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM

To help with the head pressure also clean and lube the 2 lead screws. Any build up on them will also lower the head pressure. You can also add some bearing grease behind the clutch plate in the crank handle.

If you are not getting any board measurement errors (edge detection) then I would say you are good to go..

lynnfrwd
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM

85-90 is great! Just need to get it there without having to push.

Checking and Adjusting Head Pressure:
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf

Video: http://support.carvewright.com/checking-the-head-pressure/