PDA

View Full Version : How Many Machines Have Shipped

jdelaney44
03-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I know this might be confidential information, but I'd like to know from someone at CarveWright how many machines, including the Sears machines have shipped to end users.

The number of complaints here looks kind of big, but if there are thousands of machines out there, it's not so bad for a new high tech product like this.

John

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
The last count I heard was over 4000. Remember more people post when they have problems as they are seeking help.

rgant05
03-16-2007, 12:25 AM
I talked tech service at the beginning of the week and he mentioned 5000 machines and 85 problem childs. I am sure that this might not show a real clear picture but it is a number for reference. I'm sure that they may be some problems that were so minor they were probably corrected and not counted in the 85. I am also guessing that there may be 5000 machines made to date... maybe some of those are still on the store counter, or stuffed in the garage waiting to be used and looked at and the owner was intimidated and hasn't tried anything yet, but like I say its a number for reference. What you have to look at is when someone has a problem... does it get resolved. When the person complains on the list.... is he a cronic complainer and couldn't be satisfied with a gold plated machine. I forgot who it was, but one guy was literally raving with post throughout all of the forum boards.... probably 10 posts (insulting and offensive posts), but his problem was addressed by the factory and resolved in relatively short order as I remember and he was appoligizing for going off so badly and as far as I know is now a happy user. For myself, my bit holder had some major issues (well they may have been minor but busted a bit right out of the box and loosened the z-truck) and had to be returned to the factory after about 5 minutes of on time. I have put 4 hours of project time on it and now have a bad board sensor and waiting on a new one as I speak, but am I a dissatisfied customer??? NO!!.. partially frustrated, but I am happy with what the machine does and what I have the potential to do with it, and thoroughly satisfied with the tech support although its sometimes hard to get ahold of them. I have put products into production and dealt with issues similar to these and try to be understanding as many people have been with me over the years. When you get upset, you have to realize that this is a well designed product that is just now (last 6 mo - year) going into mass production. That is always a trying time that many good designs find mass manufacturing issues. You also have a company that was probably a half dozen people at some point that is now probably a 30-50 person company and is having growing pains, learning curve pains and all that goes with a company growing several hundred percent in a year or less. Bottom line....... do they have quality issues, service issues, manufacturing issues????? YES they do. Are they taking care of their customers and making good on their product and warranty??? YES they are!!! And that is what matters to me more than having to wait 3 additional weeks to play with my new machine and now have 1 week of down time to get back to work with it. As Jeff mentions, you find many of the problems here on the forum, but even given if only half of the 5000 machines are in use, where are the other 2450 users that aren't having problems????? Looks bad at first glance but realistically its not anywhere as bad as it looks. I am sure that there are, just like you will find with a basic router even, a customer who buys it, doesn't like it because he can't handle learning to use something more complicated than a pencil and puts it on ebay and cusses it and the company for the rest of his days, but you are always going to have those people too, just like you are always going to have problems with any product whether it be a computer, wrist watch or a CompuCarve. Is the CompuCarve for everyone?? NO WAY, but people with very little computer experience are using it and are happy with it. Knowing all the problems being discussed on the forum, I still bought mine and don't regret it one moment.

Roger

cajunpen
03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Well put Roger. I have one of the earlier (Beta) machines and have had very few problems with it. Most of the issues are user errors. I do get the occasional Board Sensor problem, but can usually work through it. I've only had to call Tech support 3-4 times since buying my machine.

For all of you prospective buyers, please keep in mind "if they build it, they can fix it." I am confident that the worse you will suffer will be some frustration and patience straining - but if you are willing to work through the issues, your machine will eventually perform as you hoped and you will be one happy carver. The machine is now only scratching the surface of it's capabilities right now, I think the future will be mind boggling.

jdelaney44
03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks. That's what I was trying to get a feel for. These kinds of forums are indeed heavily skewed towards the problems. Folks who are not having trouble tend to go along without even looking for such a forum.

If the count is 5000 and growing, then the problems sound reasonable and with some care & feeding some may be avoidable.

I did a CNC conversion on a Bridgeport, so I know there is a lot that can go wrong and it sounds like they are doing a good job at being responsive. The price is right to be sure. Something to think about.

I may actually want more of a small gantry mill -vs- a carver. Different need obviously.

Best,
John

rgant05
03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Just a jokingly made addition to this thread. I wonder how many issues such as the ones discussed here on the forum most of you have had with your computer. AND what was the level of support that you found from the maker of the computer or the software maker? I have rememberances of talking to tech people that made my computer only briefly before they defend the computer and blame the writers of the software. When talking with the software people they don't waste any time before they usually tell you that it sounds like you have a hardware problem. Where do you usually find your solution??? usually from some old salty computer geek that has been there and done that. How many computer mfg have you had pay for shipping back to the factory to fix and test the problems that you are having. Like I say, just a jokingly added train of thought.

ON WITH CARVING, LET THE FUZZIES BE TAMED LOL

Just re-read my post. Now, I better not hear any complaints from any of the "Old Salty Carver Geeks" (bur.... if there are any) here on the forum. LMAO

Kenm810
03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Old, I admit – Carver guilty, – Salty never,
I’m one of the sweetest old guys you’ll ever meet,
Now, What’s This ---- About Being A Geek

rgant05
03-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Now, geek.... thats a tough one. I'm not sure what the dictionary says, but from what I have been able to gather judging by its usage over the years is that a geek is someone who knows what they are doing, does it well, and no one else seems to understands how he does it but is more than happy for him to do it, especially when it is for them that he is doing it. How many times have you sought out the local "computer geek" to help you with your problems?? With the way that I have seen the word used for many years, I have never been opposed to being called a geek. Most of the time I got more money for whatever I was doing when I was called a geek. LOL

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I am a senior PC tech at a small college and I work with some people who define the work geek. All they know is the bits and bytes of a computer but are clueless as to real life and how to interact with other humans. I am not so geeky, it is a job not a lifestyle for me. for some the PC is the center of their little worlds. My center is my wife/family and other interests.

rgant05
03-19-2007, 04:08 AM
Hmmmmm..... Life style..... center of their little world. Now it very well may be that we have some CompuCarve geeks around here somewhere LOL :)

Gman_Ind
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I would consider most members here to be enthusiastic about an innovative product. I will be nice :) and not call anyone a geek. I know I will be asking for help before long.