PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a pattern

Sliverfoot
01-03-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm hoping that some can show me what I'm doing wrong here.
I am trying to create two patterns for my pattern library that I can use when making frames for my lithos. I really just want a blank top/bottom piece and an blank side piece. Then I can fill in any text or figure that I want, and cut it out on the table saw.
I've been laying out a piece, clicking on group on the bottom, right clicking on the group on top and selecting "make pattern".
But when I try to use the new pattern first of all there isn't any picture of it, but more importantly it crashes my designer. (i'm using pro)

bergerud
01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
I tried what you did and it worked. No crash. Poor pattern however. (undo feather and set bit optimization to best just to see it.) If you are wanting to make a blank frame, I think saving it as an mpc would make more sense. Patterns are not very good for saving shapes.

Sliverfoot
01-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Yes I do have a frame saved as an mpc now I just thought it would be helpful do it as a pattern, I have had times when I only wanted to recarve one piece because of a depth or letter spacing problem. I suppose that it would make sense to just keep a "master file" of the frame and then make what I need off of that one, then delete it after the carve.
I looked at what you suggested about the feather and bit optimization, neither of the buttons are active for me though.