PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 anyone

henry1
12-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Got new system 10 pro on new desktop and before I downloaded windows 10 on my old dustup, now either one can't download to card it starts but no go , on 7 all a go has anybody else have issues with 10 I tried everything and even had a computer teck at the house he can't figure it out , anybody else having this problem,, would like to get this going

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2015, 06:39 PM
On the Engraving forums many have had bad luck with 10 and you cannot go back to the 7 license as it was a one way street with lots of hype.... Many connect problems with Laser Engravers.... My Brother did it from 7 and his camera programs are a no go...

Wish you luck... Many have had to buy another win 7 computer...

I am sure that 10 has some good things but for me as a business with a win 7 I ignore the daily NAG popup....

AL

henry1
12-28-2015, 06:55 PM
On the Engraving forums many have had bad luck with 10 and you cannot go back to the 7 license as it was a one way street with lots of hype.... Many connect problems with Laser Engravers.... My Brother did it from 7 and his camera programs are a no go...

Wish you luck... Many have had to buy another win 7 computer...

I am sure that 10 has some good things but for me as a business with a win 7 I ignore the daily NAG popup....

AL
Are you running window 10 AL

dltccf
12-29-2015, 08:10 AM
I upgraded this laptop from 7 to 10 and it is working fine. I had Designer 3 already loaded and it continued to work fine after the upgrade. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

dave

SteveNelson46
12-29-2015, 09:49 AM
IMO, there should have been an update to address the problems a long time ago. Sculptor is totally broken in Windows 10 and there are many issues with version 3 of the Designer before and after Windows 10. Refusing to maintain to a newer OS just about killed Hewlet Packard a few years back.

lynnfrwd
12-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Sculptor is totally broken in Windows 10 and there are many issues with version 3 of the Designer before and after Windows 10.

Can you explain?

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Are you running window 10 AL

Still 7 on all machines.

Besides Designer I need to worry about problems with Corel Draw, The Graphtec FC7000 Vinyl cutter, Epilog Laser, Quick Books, and various printers...

I tend to lag on the "Latest"... Hence still happy with 1.198 (Correction... 1.187). My theory is simply.... "If it works don't break it..."

GOOD to hear some have had no problems with 10, that is a good sign..

AL

henry1
12-29-2015, 02:44 PM
I upgraded this laptop from 7 to 10 and it is working fine. I had Designer 3 already loaded and it continued to work fine after the upgrade. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

dave
how long ago did you do this and give a couple of months after that I stared to have issues with 10

normrichards
12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Still 7 on all machines.

Besides Designer I need to worry about problems with Corel Draw, The Graphtec FC7000 Vinyl cutter, Epilog Laser, Quick Books, and various printers...

I tend to lag on the "Latest"... Hence still happy with 1.198. My theory is simply.... "If it works don't break it..."

GOOD to hear some have had no problems with 10, that is a good sign..

AL

I was under the impression that 1.187 was the last basic designer (free) update. Is there a 1.198 version?

lynnfrwd
12-29-2015, 04:00 PM
I was under the impression that 1.187 was the last basic designer (free) update. Is there a 1.198 version?

No 1.198. 1.187 is last free version.

FWMiller
12-29-2015, 04:20 PM
I've had no problems on Windows 10 so far with designer 3. So far Windows 10 has run everything I ever used on Windows 7 with no problems.

SteveNelson46
12-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Can you explain?

When I open Sculptor the window freezes and nothing works. I have to force close it. And yes, I did "run as Administrator" when I installed it 4 times. I didn't report it.

lynnfrwd
12-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Anyone else on here running Windows 10 & Pattern Sculptor?

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Ooooops... A case of CRS..... Can't remember STUFF.... 1.187 is what I am using....

Getting old... Working too hard... Worked all through Christmas including Christmas day doing the 600 tag order... finished tonight.... ship tomorrow.

A single key goes on each orange lock out tag to keep the keys from getting lost.

A $10.5K check is waiting on delivery... :) That's for his 3 projects... And he is gathering data for his other smaller refinery.

Need a few days off...

AL or some days.... LA.... dyslexic...

Mikewiz
12-30-2015, 03:34 AM
Hey Al,
What material are those tags made from? I have a piece of rowmark sign material that looks similar to your tags but whem I use centerline text on it, it melted and the chips got stuck in the letters. Looks like crap. Thanks mike.

Digitalwoodshop
12-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Hey Al,
What material are those tags made from? I have a piece of rowmark sign material that looks similar to your tags but whem I use centerline text on it, it melted and the chips got stuck in the letters. Looks like crap. Thanks mike.

This is FRP or Fiber Plastic with sort of a sheet rock inside along with fibers. It is a Unisub product in white only with a poly coating on top that works for the Sublimation Process or Heat Press transfer.

I did play around with Engraving plastic in 2007 and found that if I took my Star912 Rotary Engraver 6 inch long 1/4 inch cutters and cut them on my chain saw chain grinder they worked. See the cutter tip for plastic is designed to throw the chip out not melt...

I have not done much since then. I had the best luck with a Single Stroke Font called Modern and used OUTLINE Mode rather than Centerline and the bit went around the letter leaving a pretty good engraving. As you get bigger you would see the center left uncut.

I bet you could make some pretty nice tags if you got the bits and methods down... Good Luck. Let me know if you need any help.

AL

mtylerfl
12-31-2015, 11:27 AM
When I open Sculptor the window freezes and nothing works. I have to force close it. And yes, I did "run as Administrator" when I installed it 4 times. I didn't report it.

Hi Steve,

Did you try running in Compatibility Mode? (i.e., run Sculptor in Win 7 Compatibility Mode to see if it works for you on your system)

You probably already know how to do that, but here is a step-by-step procedure (see link below), just in case it will be helpful:

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

SteveNelson46
12-31-2015, 02:42 PM
Hi Steve,

Did you try running in Compatibility Mode? (i.e., run Sculptor in Win 7 Compatibility Mode to see if it works for you on your system)

You probably already know how to do that, but here is a step-by-step procedure (see link below), just in case it will be helpful:

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Thanks Michael but I did that before re-installing the 1st time. It turns out that the problem was screen resolution. I had the magnification set to 150%. After reducing it to 125% everything seems to work okay. When the magnification was set too high the control buttons were off the screen and I couldn't do anything. I use Aspire to create and edit most of my patterns so I really don't use Sculptor much anyway.

mtylerfl
12-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Glad it's working now. Yeah, scaling screen view/fonts can sometimes goof-up programs' interface usability. A recent post at the Vectric forum had similar issues...turn off oversize scaling and all was well again.

I use Sculptor along with Aspire, quite frequently. Sculptor does an outstanding job of reducing thicknesses of models without losing all the detail. It takes some experience to get familiar with suitable scale, contrast and grid settings, but it's pretty easy to get good results, even though the settings won't be the same from model-to-model. Sculptor's relief "squishing" is similar to Blender, but better, I think.

Another thing I like is the wider range of strength in Sculptor for the sculpting tools. I do most smoothing and sculpting in Sculptor after making a bas relief from a 3D model or a "too-thick" 2.5D relief model. Because I can access a greater range of weak-to-strong, it makes my work go a lot faster than in other programs, in most cases. I will often do final fine-tuning of more complex models in Aspire due to the ability to "slice and dice" and when I need to combine and/or layer multiple model components, though.

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Glad it's working now. Yeah, scaling screen view/fonts can sometimes goof-up programs' interface usability. A recent post at the Vectric forum had similar issues...turn off oversize scaling and all was well again.

I use Sculptor along with Aspire, quite frequently. Sculptor does an outstanding job of reducing thicknesses of models without losing all the detail. It takes some experience to get familiar with suitable scale, contrast and grid settings, but it's pretty easy to get good results, even though the settings won't be the same from model-to-model. Sculptor's relief "squishing" is similar to Blender, but better, I think.

Another thing I like is the wider range of strength in Sculptor for the sculpting tools. I do most smoothing and sculpting in Sculptor after making a bas relief from a 3D model or a "too-thick" 2.5D relief model. Because I can access a greater range of weak-to-strong, it makes my work go a lot faster than in other programs, in most cases. I will often do final fine-tuning of more complex models in Aspire due to the ability to "slice and dice" and when I need to combine and/or layer multiple model components, though.

I agree that there are a some functions in Sculptor that seem to work pretty good but it seems that every time I use it I have to compensate or deal with things that are not quite right. These two pics are an example. Both are the same STL file and one was imported using Sculptor and the other using the STL importer in Designer. Of course the one imported using the STL importer has to be opened in Sculptor or the Pattern editor and saved back to Designer favorites list to correct for the "pierced" setting.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 10:55 AM
When in the STL Importer, the "Pierced" setting icon is "on" by default. I turn that "off" before saving, unless I am creating some sort of stacked/sliced structure. I'm wondering if you are not seeing that default setting (and therefore, not turning it "off" before saving your imports)?

bergerud
01-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I wonder if that is not the back facing normals problem. 3D objects have a normal direction for each polygon. The STL importer will import the polygons which have back facing normals whereas Sculptor will not. Polygons with back facing normals are lost in Sculptor. As a consequence, poor quality models do not work well with Sculptor. One would have to fix the normals in another 3D program.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Steve, you may want to try saving with the Pierced icon turned off to see if that helps. Here is a screenshot to show that icon (which is active/on by default).

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 11:21 AM
When in the STL Importer, the "Pierced" setting icon is "on" by default. I turn that "off" before saving, unless I am creating some sort of stacked/sliced structure. I'm wondering if you are not seeing that default setting (and therefore, not turning it "off" before saving your imports)?

I don't doubt you're word Michael so I must be missing something. I can't find a "Pierced" Icon on any of the 3 import screens.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 11:27 AM
It's the final screen that it appears on. I circled it for you in the screenshot posted above. If it's more convenient for you, please give me a call if you need some help with this. Also, you can email me that example so I can go through the steps to avoid the problem(s) you're having.

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM
It's the final screen that it appears on. I circled it for you in the screenshot posted above. If it's more convenient for you, please give me a call if you need some help with this. Also, you can email me that example so I can go through the steps to avoid the problem(s) you're having.

Thanks Michael. Of all the times that I have used the STL importer I just didn't see it.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 11:48 AM
It is easily missed. My opinion is the default should be OFF and more clearly labeled. I think the programmer sort of assumed people would always be slicing models for assembly, but that's in very much the minority of what I use the importer for!

bergerud
01-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I must be missing something here. The pierced setting in the STL importer seems to me to be no big deal. All it does is make the default depth of the pattern 0.008 deeper than the board thickness. One can easily change the depth and recover the same result as one would have gotten by unchecking the carve to full depth button. The pattern is not fundamentally changed by the button state.

I agree that the button default should be off. I always turn it off. I do not think this has anything to do with those polygons disappearing in the example.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 12:20 PM
I must be missing something here. The pierced setting in the STL importer seems to me to be no big deal. All it does is make the default depth of the pattern 0.008 deeper than the board thickness. One can easily change the depth and recover the same result as one would have gotten by unchecking the carve to full depth button. The pattern is not fundamentally changed by the button state.

I agree that the button default should be off. I always turn it off. I do not think this has anything to do with those polygons disappearing in the example.

I was thinking if the model was saved as STL with Pierced turned on, then imported into Sculptor after-the-fact, then resaved, it would show the type of odd behaviour as in Steve's example. I do not know what the actual workflow was, or where and how the original model was created then resaved.

I would like to play with Steves example file. I am going to hazard a guess that it has a Zero Plane as part of the model (either designed intentionally or as a result of a Pierced option causing the *intended* bottom of the model to go below zero). Also, if the original model (with a Zero Plane) was saved with a "closed back face", this could cause issues with reversed/flipped normals. Without having the actual example at my disposal, I can only make guesses.

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure why the bottom of the STL file has missing sections. It doesn't seem to be a problem when I use the STL importer even if I don't uncheck the full depth button. I tried to add a little base (.06") in Aspire before exporting but that didn't seem to do anything. The file is too big to post but here is a link for downloading.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeUGh2R1VjUE1EVHM/view?usp=sharing

Michael,

Here is the link for the Aspire file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeTmtrZ3BjclVWZXM/view?usp=sharing

bergerud
01-04-2016, 12:57 PM
So it is not the common normal problem that I usually have with Sculptor. It is a problem Sculptor has with flat bottoms. I made a simple disc pattern in Designer and exported it as .obj. When imported into Sculptor, the bottom was missing. It was the same as your slot. It seems that flat bottoms can easily be lost on the import into Sculptor. A bit of a bug I would say.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Hi Steve,

I took a quick peek at your Aspire file and it appears there is a problem. Your material is set at 0.75" thick, yet the model is 1.1" thick. As a result, the bottom of the model extends below the material.

You can see this if you change the z-zero to be at the top of the material, then go into the 3D view and engage the Material Block draw, then set the view to the side (either X or Y axis). At that point you can clearly see how the model sits below the material block. I think this is one reason why you are getting the confusing result with your STL model. I'll play with it this evening after work - I think you might also be exporting the model with a closed back face (i.e., Close with a flat face , which may further "do a number" on the normals.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Steve,

I changed the Aspire file to 1.1" thickness, exported to STL Open Back, then imported that into the CW STL Importer. I then changed the material thickness in the STL Importer to 1.1" (from the default 0.75") and exported the result as a PTN.

I have attached the PTN here for you and THINK this is the result you were after. There is no problem with the flat bottom on this PTN. I must say this is a rather odd pattern/model and have no idea how you are planning to use it!

Please let me know if the attached PTN is what you intended.

bergerud
01-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Here is the example I tried. I made a simple pattern with a flat bottom in Designer and saved it to favorites. Then I exported it as an .obj and imported it into Sculptor. On import, you can see the bottom looks to be in the same plane as the Sculptor back plane. After accepting the import, the bottom is gone.

I think this is the problem that you had to work around. (Going through the STL importer first and then importing into Sculptor does seem to work. I guess the bottom gets raised a pixel or two.)

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Forgot to mention the new STL (created from Aspire - open-back) imports fine into **Sculptor and STL Importer with no strange anomalies. Flat part is solid. I only used the STL Importer to create the PTN itself.

**EDIT: Nope!! I was NOT importing into Sculptor!! It was SLICER. I dbl-clicked and mistakenly thought my STL's were associated with Sculptor....but no....it was Slicer. That's what I get for trying to "hurry to be helpful"

I will pay a LOT more attention later this evening after work. I guess too many irons in my fire at the moment.

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 06:08 PM
So it is not the common normal problem that I usually have with Sculptor. It is a problem Sculptor has with flat bottoms. I made a simple disc pattern in Designer and exported it as .obj. When imported into Sculptor, the bottom was missing. It was the same as your slot. It seems that flat bottoms can easily be lost on the import into Sculptor. A bit of a bug I would say.

Dan,

I think you're right. The original profile that I was using had a round or bullet shape bottom and I wasn't having any problems until I switched to the flat bottom. I haven't tried to export the pattern to an STL from PE. I really don't need to once I have a workable pattern in Designer.

EDIT: Actually I was having a problem now that I think about it. The very bottom of the import had a line of missing pixels.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Dan,

I think you're right. The original profile that I was using had a round or bullet shape bottom and I wasn't having any problems until I switched to the flat bottom. I haven't tried to export the pattern to an STL from PE. I really don't need to once I have a workable pattern in Designer.

Did the PTN I made work alright for you?

NOTE: I'm still a little puzzled by the model in Aspire. Normally you need "legs" on both sides of the profile for a two-rail sweep so the software "knows" where the outside of a sweep bottoms out. I think I know what you have in mind for that model...a rotary twist around a cylinder for a candlestick (based upon the file name). There might be a better way to make a model for that...make the raised portion a "whole" raised area with the outer part being the flat area (half on the left side...half on the right side). This would also conform more to the "rule" of having the bottom of the outer portion clearly defined for the Aspire software. I'm still guessing a lot, since I do not know or have a picture or diagram of what the end result goal is.

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 07:16 PM
I just modified your profile in Aspire, did a new sweep, angled it 60 degrees, trimmed it, exported to STL and imported into Sculptor. The "legs" on either side of the profile extend just ever-so-slightly beyond the bottom to avoid a "zero plane" issue. It worked perfectly when imported into Sculptor, after clicking the "flip to other side of model" icon twice. (Why I had to do that...I don't know, but it worked.)

This does not address the "issue" of Sculptor not being ably to "solidify" a zero plane located at the bottom of a model, but does present a simple solution...don't have a flat "zero" plane on the bottom of your models...just give the base a teeny thickness is all that's required. Now, why the STL Importer works with a bottom zero plane and Sculptor doesn't - I do not know. Probably a difference between programming approach. If you think about it, a zero plane doesn't really have a thickness anyway. I guess a programmer could decide whether to "make" it have a thickness (for math and rendering purposes) or to ignore it (and end up with the strange disintegrated appearance of that zero plane as in Sculptor). Likely a difference of opinion, I suppose, on how to handle that in software. Whatever the reason, I think we all prefer the way the STL Importer handles it!

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Michael,

Thanks for spending time with the design. I will make the modification as you illustrated and see how it works out.

Yes, I'm making a candle holder but as an added twist (pun intended) I will drill a 1.375" hole most of the way through from one end. Then I'll make a jam chuck on the lathe to fit in the open end so it can be mounted in the rotary jig. Pictured in the example is the first prototype cut out of a Douglas fir fence post but it doesn't illustrate the overall taper of about 3/4" from bottom to top very well. Still working on the base and the top and I will probably fill part of the hole on the bottom with lead so it won't be top heavy.

SteveNelson46
01-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Michael,

I tried your suggestions in Aspire and exported to an STL. It worked marvelously. I too like the way the importer handles it but, in this case, I really got better results by using Sculptor to import and then exporting to Designer. A little bit of frustration in Sculptor when the "Send to Designer" was missing until I remembered that Sculptor has to be opened from inside the Designer to get that option. Thank you very much for everything.

I think we kind of hijacked this thread. Maybe someone should move it to a new place that is more appropriate.

bergerud
01-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Looks cool, I cannot wait to see how that turns out. (So much for this Windows 10 thread! You will have to start a new thread when you are done.)

mtylerfl
01-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Steve,

I'm very glad the suggestions helped. I am looking forward to seeing your finished project, too. It looks really cool!

liquidguitars
01-15-2016, 11:02 AM
I see this issue at times as well not sure if it the same issue tho. the Designer pattern shows depth but when moved into Sculptor we get a depth issue.. The quick fix was to place a pierced object over the pattern.