PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present 2015

Canemaker
12-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Well, I finally did it! My first piece of furniture that I made from raw boards that didn't involve nails or 2x4's.
I found a drawing of an end view of a Church pew on line that I really liked. I took that drawing made a full
scale pattern and the rest is history.

My theory was to create a family pew for my parents for Christmas. As you face the bench, on the left side
is a carved pattern of the family crest. On the right side of the bench is the carving of my family tree listing
my parents full names and date of marriage and the full names of all of my siblings. Across the back is a very
light carving of the family home. (I didn't want the carving to be too deep as you sit on the pew as it may be
uncomfortable.)

I completed the Pew and put finishing touches on the pew this morning and present it to them Christmas eve.

It represents the time when my mother told me back in the 1960's that she liked a Church pew that my Aunt had on her porch.
It also represents the old "Young Family" Church pew in Livingston, Alabama.

Yes, there were some issues, but that's life and part of the learning experience.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to all and have a good carving year!

DianMayfield
12-24-2015, 10:45 PM
It's beautiful, and a wonderful Christmas gift. A great family heirloom.

Merry Christmas!

fwharris
12-24-2015, 10:54 PM
You are on Mom's good list this year for sure! Great present and great job!

oscarl48
12-24-2015, 11:03 PM
That is a great piece. Congrats on a wonderful first piece of furniture made by your hands. If the bug hits I am sure many more pieces will follow. :D

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

- O

SharonB
12-25-2015, 01:31 AM
All I can say is "that's one beautiful project." Now the problem will to top it next year.

Canemaker
12-25-2015, 06:27 AM
Plans are are ready in motion for next year; a totally remote controlled multiple lithophane viewer. It will feature inlays, storage and rotating images, servor motors working opening and closing and many led lights. Can't wait to get it in production. I know it sounds like a complex venue, but it's all still scrambled in my head, just have to put it on paper and start.

DickB
12-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Very nice! What technique did you use for the back?

Canemaker
12-25-2015, 11:14 AM
The back was easy, simply took a photo of the house and opened straight into designer, set depth, height, bit setting, feather and carved. It carved beautifully, up to 99 percent then it happened! Lesson learned (You'll notice that it isn't completely finished on the right side). Ordered two flex shafts one for the machine one for a spare to have on hand for any future problems. [Excellent service by LHR on parts and shipping]. Had already removed board from machine, so to me it was close enough and I didn't want to air carve for four hours to get back to the end point. I figured that if it wasn't carved deep enough or it wears down over time, that I would carve it out and replace it with a completed carving.

oscarl48
12-25-2015, 11:29 AM
You can't tell it didn't compelete. Came out great.

Scott31
12-27-2015, 08:06 AM
very nice...

sunmiztres
01-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Very Beautiful!!! That will be a family heirloom that will last through many generations. Great job!