PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper drive belt ripped into starting a project. Guess it's time to upgrade

Mike58
12-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Haven't ran my machine in months. Our 5 front porch steps all have rotted and need replaced. I built the porch in 1998 and got the steps from Home Depot. They had grooves milled on the top side for grip which I liked. Treated lumber on everything, yet the steps have all rotted but the rest of the porch is still good. Having Christmas at our house on the 26th and as we will have "company" I felt I needed to replace the steps quick. We use the back door so it's not that big a deal for us as we never use the front porch. Anyway, Home Depot had 4 steps EXACTLY the same as the ones I got there in 1998, but 3 were cracked or split . Wanted to get them again, but as I need 5 and even if I got the cracked and split ones I still wouldn't have enough to replace what I have. So I got some 8 foot 2x12's and routed grooves in 2 of the 8 foot boards to make 4 of the steps. I got to thinking I could personalize the top step and carve our name on it, and then add the grooves to it afterwards.

So I created a file and loaded it into the machine to carve wanting to get it done tonight so I can install them all in the morning. The 2x12 was 4 foot long. Machine goes to measure the length and it stops moving and I hear a ripping sound. I quickly turned the machine off, but the left belt is ripped into. I sure wanted to show off my custom steps but guess they will all be routed with grooves until I can replace the drive belts and try again. Got an extra 4 foot of board that I will use and save the good one I intend on carving. Here's a screen shot of the top step I was going to carve. I could Laser engrave it I guess, but a little concerned about lasering pressure treated wood and thought carving it would look better and last longer. I might just laser the extra board and see in the morning.

oscarl48
12-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the torn belt but thanks for sharing a very cool idea.

fwharris
12-24-2015, 11:00 PM
I have some old sets of sandpaper belts if you are in need or do not decide to just upgrade to the rubber belts.

Mike58
12-25-2015, 08:52 AM
well as it turned out, my wife and I had to replace the steps last night. I thought I was "in for the night" but got a flash flood watch warning on my cellphone. Calling for rain to start last night and continue thru Saturday. So we got the floodlight and tools out and replaced them. We finished just after 1:00 am; and as we started gathering the tools up - it began sprinkling rain. Timing was perfect! Now raining, since after 2:00 am when I went to bed.

ktjwilliams
12-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I will never go for the rubber belts ... My sandpaper belts last and last,,, I get em from A&H Abrasives-division of woodworkers supply inc.
1108 Glenn Rd Casper, WY 82601... They cost $ 4.29 each ... Yep that's the price ... I order em 15 x 13 A/O 120Y ... I ordered several sets... I still have the first set on my machines ... They been on my machines for several years and still work perfectly ...

FWMiller
12-25-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm very happy with the rubber belts. Not a mandatory upgrade but well worth the expense when you've already got so much money in the machine already. Essentially no maintenance which the CW is worth a lot by itself.

Mike58
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Got my new rubber belts installed this afternoon. Ran the machine to do our top step as mentioned initially here. Very pleased with results. Carved area 18 inches wide on pressure treated 2x12 48 inches wide79491
not sure if picture uploaded as I am on cell phone trying to post.

oscarl48
01-09-2016, 07:30 AM
That will be a nice welcome matt to your home.

mtylerfl
01-09-2016, 01:49 PM
I will never go for the rubber belts ... My sandpaper belts last and last...

I'm very happy with the rubber belts. Not a mandatory upgrade...

If you ever decide to purchase the Rotary Jig, you will need to upgrade to the rubber belts for the Rotary to work properly. Just mentioning this in case someone else reads this now and in the future.

BTW, one of my machines still has the sandpaper belts...but, I don't/can't use the rotary jig on that machine.