PDA

View Full Version : Can this Flex Shaft be saved...

SharonB
12-22-2015, 01:49 AM
The end of this flex shaft has started to unwind. Is there anyway to save it? The rest of the shaft and the spring still looks good. Has only about 250 hours on the C-7920679207machine.

fwharris
12-22-2015, 09:58 AM
I would say it probably can be saved. The main thing to do is to not have a winding end that would catch/rub on anything.

bergerud
12-22-2015, 10:11 AM
I think you need to use a cutoff wheel on a Dremel to cut off the snag. Maybe where it rounds the corner.

SharonB
12-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Do you think it would help from unwinding if a person put something like (sorry I don't remember the correct name) "weld" on it? Maybe the weld would settle down into the winding and keep it from unwinding further. Would have to make sure nothing stuck up above the surface.

bergerud
12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Do you think it would help from unwinding if a person put something like (sorry I don't remember the correct name) "weld" on it? Maybe the weld would settle down into the winding and keep it from unwinding further. Would have to make sure nothing stuck up above the surface.

I do not know if glue (JB Weld?) would work. It should not unwind anymore, should it? I think I would just put the bad end in the motor.

SharonB
12-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Bergerud... I had a spare flex shaft so I'm ok there. But I think I'll clean up the bad flex shaft, cut the wire, and keep it as spare for an emergency replacement. If and when I would use it I'd keep a sharp on the temperature.

I had just check the cut motor brushes and decided to swap ends of the flex shaft, after clean out the outer casing. I did not see anything wrong when I replaced the shaft and the spring (it seemed to slid easily into the motor casing and the top hat). Because of doing that I was watching the machine working to make sure everything was ok. It only took an couple of minutes for it to really heat up. Glad I was standing right there.

Thanks to you and Floyd for insight on what to do with the flex shaft.

TerryT
12-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Sharon,
I had the same situation a couple of years ago. I used a Dremel tool to cut the wire and grind it down so it wouldn't snag on anything. It is still working. Just make sure it seats properly when you put it together or it will burn up the rubber sheath from the heat it generates.

bjbethke
12-23-2015, 07:05 PM
The end of this flex shaft has started to unwind. Is there anyway to save it? The rest of the shaft and the spring still looks good. Has only about 250 hours on the C-7920679207machine.

I think you could use Silver Solder on the ends after trim off the bad parts. You need a propane torch to melt the silver solder.

SharonB
12-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks TerryT and bjbethke. I will certainly try the suggestions and appreciate all the help. This old flex shaft should serve well for a backup once it is cleaned up and the wire secured.