PDA

View Full Version : Static shock no power

Liltradingpost
12-20-2015, 09:54 AM
I was vacuuming out my machine like I have done a thousand times before, making sure to try to stay grounded with my other hand, and "pop" near the motor. Now the machine won't power on. I am aware the ungrounded shop vac was a rookie move, especially while it's cold outside. Can anyone tell me what I broke so I can take out the proper loan to fix it. Thanks :confused:

Dale
12-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Well I can't help you on what to look for but I sure like your sense of humor. Hopefully it won't be too exspensive.

bergerud
12-20-2015, 10:43 AM
I think it could be bad news. Others who have done this have had to replace the controller.

Have you tried to reformat and reflash the card?

Liltradingpost
12-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I feel like such a dummy. It dawned on me that it's on it's own breaker. Long story short I'm an idiot. Thanks for the responses. The forum makes the machine priceless. Note to self, always check breaker. Lol

fwharris
12-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Glad you dodged the bullet! If you are going to vacuum with the machine on make sure "you" are grounded to the machine, which you did, and also make sure the vac hose stays away from the key board. If and when I have to vacuum I just try to get the board area and stay away from any electric components.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Dodged the Lightning.... Glad you are up and running....

AL

Liltradingpost
12-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I guess the bullet winged me. I loaded a board and tried to start a cut. It ran through the process but my cut motor is dead. No spinny. Now I have to figure out what I broke there and where to start. I had the brushes replaced a while back. Any ideas where to start?

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2015, 12:16 PM
First place to look will be the X Termination board under the machine.... Remember to un plug machine before removing the bottom of the machine...

Look for BURNT Components.... That is what tripped the breaker.... Vacuum LIGHTNING....

You can half split the troubleshooting by hooking 115 volts AC to the cut motor black and white wire. If the motor works then it is the board...

Lots of VERY SENSITIVE components on that board.... Opto Couplers used to protect the computer. Computer lights a LED inside the opto coupler and the light turn on a photo transistor separating the computer logic circuits from things that can have 115 volts on them and FAIL... killing the computer if not isolated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

AL

It's going to be a "Boaring" Sunday in my shop today.... Just finished printing the 600 tags now to start drilling them for grommets...

Liltradingpost
12-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks Al. I'll let you know how it goes. It make take me a while to get it broke down. Good luck on the tags

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Also look at the clear cover switch too, the right side switch is on the return path of the cut motor white wire.

Remember the cut motor has a black and a white wire. The X termination board has a black and white wire. The two blacks get connected together then the 2 white wires go THROUGH the right clear cover safety switch. Using either black or white wire. White to black or black to white just as long as the white motor wire goes through the switch.

Good Luck,

Thanks on the Tags... It was a nice end of year surprise... He had $6.5K left over in his safety budget so I got lucky...

AL