PDA

View Full Version : Text in Lithophane

Bob Victor
12-19-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm preparing to do text in a Lithophane. When I go to upload the .mpc, I get a warning the "Carve too deep" for bit selected. Going to the board preferences, the pattern bit is showing 1/16 bullnose bit.
In the .mpc I did the text with a 60 deg. bit. I understand with the 1/16 bit it would be to deep. My question is why in the board preference the 60 deg is not listed? Does this require an add-on feature to show
all possible bits? I'm using Designer 1.187. The material is candlestone (like corian), 8 x 10 x .25.

Any help would be appreciated in understanding this issue.

fwharris
12-19-2015, 02:50 PM
The "pattern bit" is for raster carves. Did the machine ask for the 1/16" bit or your 60* bit?

In your board settings you are showing the thickness as 0.203" try changing it to 0.250".

Bob Victor
12-20-2015, 07:37 AM
I did change the thickness to .25 and the machine did ask for 60 deg bit. It carved just fine.

Thanks for the input.

FWMiller
12-20-2015, 07:55 AM
To answer your question about the board settings menu, it only shows what the selected raster bit is. There is no other window where you can see a list of all bits used on your design like straight bits our V bits. I wish there was because on more than one occasion I've had a lot of 60 degree V vectors and accidentally set one or two to 90 degree. There's no easy way to detect the error until you run the carve and it asks you to load a bit you didn't expect.