PDA

View Full Version : musslechuck

rjgreen761
12-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Sorry the subject should read "musclechuck"
Has anyone tried one of these on their machine?

http://musclechuck.com/shop.html

Look at the type 5 chuck. It looks like it would replace the QC but I'm not sure.

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2015, 01:32 PM
That is very interesting.... They do show the type 5 for the CW.... Must look into this further....

Many years ago when the ROCK first came out a guy was doing something like this but it never took off that I know... This was before the Carve Tite.

He tried to shutdown the ROCK for copyright or patent infringement ... Don't know if this is the same guy but the product DOES LOOK GOOD....

Anyone using this?

I just ordered one. :lol:

AL

lynnfrwd
12-17-2015, 01:43 PM
OK....I'm going to do my spiel.

LHR and it's software does not support or conform to the Rock Chuck or the Musclechuck (hadn't heard this name for a LOOOOONG time).

Order at your own risk...

rjgreen761
12-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Let us know how it works. I have one of Dan's ER20 spindles on one of my machines and a QC on the other. This would be a good inexpensive and easy upgrade.

bergerud
12-17-2015, 02:11 PM
That is like the old Eliminator Chuck. I remember reading reviews on putting these on routers. There were run out problems. One has fool around awhile to get them bolted on to spin true. Loosen and retighten until one gets lucky. If I recall it was even in the instructions! Loosen, spin and retighten.

The combo kits cost the same as a CarveTight. I think the CT is a better deal. One piece spindle and a whole new truck for the same price.

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2015, 02:21 PM
That is like the old Eliminator Chuck. I remember reading reviews on putting these on routers. There were run out problems. One has fool around awhile to get them bolted on to spin true. Loosen and retighten until one gets lucky. If I recall it was even in the instructions! Loosen, spin and retighten.

The combo kits cost the same as a CarveTight. I think the CT is a better deal. One piece spindle and a whole new truck for the same price.

That's the name..... Eliminator Chuck.... Couldn't remember it.... I should have ordered the sleeves too... I like working in 1/4 inch too... I am stuck with 1/2 inch here too.

I did pick up a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch router bit extender from MCLS that will work for me... :)

And to be honest... I ALSO believe the CT is really a more stable truck as you will not have any run out like I will get with my threaded versions... I just hate the 1/2 inch...

Wish LHR would offer a 1/4 inch CarveTite AND the bits.

AL

lynnfrwd
12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
OK, let's break this down and compare savings:

This Musclechuck ($72.95) equates to the Quick Change Chuck ($39.95) or the CarveTight ($70.94) without the z-truck casting, 4 bearings or tools.

Z-truck (QC-style) NO LONGER SUPPORTED
casting - $36.05
Roller Bearing (4) - $40.00
Flat Wrench - $8.00
QC Chuck - $39.95

Z-truck (CT-style)
casting - $36.05
Flat Wrench - $8.00
T-Allen Wrench - $5.00
CT - $70.94 (not sold separately)

bergerud
12-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't forget the $40 rebate when you buy a CT.

normrichards
12-19-2015, 12:15 PM
OK, let's break this down and compare savings:

This Musclechuck ($72.95) equates to the Quick Change Chuck ($39.95) or the CarveTight ($70.94) without the z-truck casting, 4 bearings or tools.

Z-truck (QC-style) NO LONGER SUPPORTED
casting - $36.05
Flat Wrench - $8.00
QC Chuck - $39.95

Z-truck (CT-style)
casting - $36.05
Flat Wrench - $8.00
T-Allen Wrench - $5.00
CT - $70.94 (not sold separately)

I don't understand, why list out the parts separately if you can not buy them separately? I have had to press out my bearings on my z truck before and If I could buy just the CT by itself with out having to buy the whole thing and deal with the rebate hassle I would. The truth is this would be cheaper unless LHR sold the CT by itself. I agree not a lot cheaper but still cheaper.

CarverJerry
12-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I have a "B" machine, switched out the QC chuck after about 4-5 months with the Rock Chuck, haven't had one bit of trouble with it, I use the 1/4" collet and the 1/2" (seldon used). Wouldn't have anything else unless I purchased a new CT machine. Just my 2¢ worth.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2015, 12:53 PM
The only software issues I am aware of is the critical length of the 1/8th inch bit when installed to do a cut path. For the Rock or MC it just a simple process of finding the correct length by trial and error. The machine is expecting to see the exact length of a CT bit with the sleeve and does a "tilt" when it does not find it correct. Once the correct length is found for the Rock or MC you are good.

I don't think I would recommend using the extended length bits with the Rock or MC.

I like the way Ron did the Rock with the changeable tips for 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 inch. Thanks to a few Users I have a few extra Rocks that I purchased when they moved up to the CT. Still looking for more and if anyone has old QC Trucks, looking for them too as I am not sure if they are still available from LHR. Interested in the truck not the QC. I do have one that I could not remove the old QC and snapped 4 square drive tips and finally gave up... Locktite Red was having a good day that day... Red FOREVER.... Even used the Soldering Iron trick... no go...

I traded a few emails with the MC Guy today asking if a 1/4 inch version was available but only 1/2 inch then use sleeves.

Parts is Parts.....

AL

unitedcases
12-19-2015, 03:39 PM
It's loud. Not balanced. Has documentation on it regarding to adjusting a sleeve inside it to balance it if need be. It works in a pinch. But LOUD!

bergerud
12-19-2015, 04:14 PM
It's loud. Not balanced. Has documentation on it regarding to adjusting a sleeve inside it to balance it if need be. It works in a pinch. But LOUD!

That was what I thought. The manufacture's claims sound too good to be true for a side clamping chuck that screws on to a short nipple.

unitedcases
12-20-2015, 12:54 AM
I will say this...it goes on with ease. And does work like a rock chuck. It's just loud. It sings just about as loud as the original qc.

FWMiller
12-20-2015, 08:02 AM
AL, has the bit length issue been solved in the latest version of designer? I use a CT with the ER-11 adaptor for my 1/8 cutting bits. I've put them in the bit holder at a wide variety range of random lengths and have never run into this problem. I've only paid enough attention to make sure it sticks out far enough to cut through my work piece. Am I just lucky?

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2015, 11:43 AM
AL, has the bit length issue been solved in the latest version of designer? I use a CT with the ER-11 adaptor for my 1/8 cutting bits. I've put them in the bit holder at a wide variety range of random lengths and have never run into this problem. I've only paid enough attention to make sure it sticks out far enough to cut through my work piece. Am I just lucky?

That IS a good question....?

I am running 1.187 and have not had a problem in years....

When I replace the 1/8th inch bit, I put the set screw ring in the same place as the old.... Just thought I was like "Clint" would say.... got LUCKY....

AL